Nitrous Questions: Several

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching Hot Rod TV and they had a small segment on nitrous. They made some very interesting comments and wanted to hear your opinions as how one fact pertains to Vipers. They said sometimes for that extra "kick", nitrous is sometimes better then a turbo or super. They specified by saying it was cheaper, and the block could handle it without needing fuel feed mods. Is this true for lets say...as GenI engine? Can you just "bolt on" a nitrous system for that extra power? And if so, how much nitrous can a stock block take?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been told a genII can easily take 200 shot of it and safely too.

Im very interested in this myself

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They said sometimes for that extra "kick", nitrous is sometimes better then a turbo or super.

The fastest Vipers are all running Nitrous. Which one is "Better" is relative to what you want to do with the car. Most Vipers run 150-200 shot but I think BTR has a 250-300 shot kit available also. Do a search there is a ton of stuff on this website regarding nitrous.

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will but main question is, how much can a stock GenI engine handle? Would a 100shot on a stock engine blow or hurt the engine?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the engine is tight, I cant imagine it being a problem.

Id assume if the compression in all cylinders is good, go for it

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much can a stock gen I handle? As long as you keep the a/f in check a 200 shot will be fine. Remember a 200 shot will net you around 150rwhp Your engine is very strong so your not going to hurt it unless you go too lean.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to be selling my NX wet kit with 10 lb bottle and bottle heater (only used one tank-its like new) has 100, 150, 200 and 250 Hp jets. Gen 1's can easily take 200 shot. Not sure about gen2's with the cast (not forged pistons) I am only selling because I am going with twin turbos. I also have the K&N air box with open filters and spray jets installed. Email me for price. I have photos and installation instructions (VERY EASY 4 hr install!)

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running a 300 shot dry using a n/x maximerizer that ramps up the nitrous. 50 passes in no problem.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, a wet set up is better then a dry system performance wise. I'm running a NOS wet system 100 shot -only for reliability reasons and have had no problems whatsoever. I only use it on 2nd and 3rd shifts above 2500rpm with gas pedal all the way to the floor board.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that most dry systems have a safe maximum of around 75HP. You could run more nitrous and tweak the car to run richer to try and keep the mixture from being lean and blowing the engine up. But most people wanting more power than a dry setup provides run wet. Either with gas, or with propane as the fuel suppliment.

Also I prefer a Viper-modified window switch for RPM triggered nitrous engagement. No fuss, no mistakes.

-Dean.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could have sworn I responded to this already.

Anyway, I have a 150 shot NX wet system in my 2000 RT/10. I was told 150 was safer than 200 since I have cast pistons and not forged. I had it done by East Coast Superchargers in south Jersey and they (Chris) did a great job. The bottle is mounted in the trunk and I managed to keep the spare. Actually, I think I could have fit a dual bottle in there, still keep the spare and thus not run out as often. I have a auto bottle opener, warmer, and only wish I had a presure guage on the dash so I could monitor how much I have left than looking in the trunk.

I'm happy with it. At high 2K for purchase and install vs. 7K+ for S.C., I have power when I need it and I saved 5K to put ntowards other things.

Andrew

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, West Coast Viper installed my new Nitrous system. Yesterday they tuned my car on the Dyno and with the 300 shot, the car was spinning the tires on the Dyno! Based on the horespower of the car on engine alone and the fact it is a 300 shot, I figure the car is putting down about 750 RWHP and well over 800 foot pounds of torque. The Dyno hit 690 RWHP and 760 Ft lbs with the wheels spinning.

Tomorrow is the day I am supposed to go pick it up and test the Nitrous for the first time! :)

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I have a WET system kit that is for sale right now. It's in the Classifieds section. $1,800 for the whole set up and you can be running 300 extra HP too.
------------
For what it's worth, West Coast Viper installed my new Nitrous system. Yesterday they tuned my car on the Dyno and with the 300 shot, the car was spinning the tires on the Dyno! Based on the horespower of the car on engine alone and the fact it is a 300 shot, I figure the car is putting down about 750 RWHP and well over 800 foot pounds of torque. The Dyno hit 690 RWHP and 760 Ft lbs with the wheels spinning. It was about 100 degrees yesterday, too!

Tomorrow is the day I am supposed to go pick it up and test the Nitrous for the first time! :)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about gen2's with the cast (not forged pistons)

All GEN2's up to and including 99 HAD FORGED pistons.

Year 2000 Gen2 went to cast, hence the moniker "creampuff"

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
300 ????? What year car is it, and what other mods do you have? Also, at what RPM will you spray & how? Switch, pedal.....how.....

AC

I have a 94 Gen I. Engine has had some work (I am putting about 502 RWHP down with the N20.)

As for spraying, I have only done it one day while going for a test drive with John Horton of West Coast Viper. Not sure about RPM's although I believe I hit it at about 2.5K to 3K RMP in 3rd gear and it went crazy! Guessing somewhere around 750 RWHP when spraying.

I sitll have a 300 shot kit available if anybody wants to buy one. Half price of new. It is in the classifieds and it is a wet kit. I might be stealing the bottle warmer from the kit though.

Manny