SRT Oil Capacity?

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge dealer did oil & filter change and charged me for 12 quarts. Viper tech said he used 11.5 quarts while my owners manual says it takes 10 quarts with new filter. Adding to the confusion, I believe that the service manual says the car takes 10.5 (or 11?) quarts. :confused:

As my oil pressure now stays very high (80) even after the car is well warmed up (unless I just lift completely off the accelerator, then it drops back to 40), I'm wondering, do I really have an aeration risk and need to drain out approx 1/2 to 1 quart???

Dipstick (that could be me for going to dealer) reading is on the last "L" of FULL (as opposed to the ideal level being exactly on the line just to the left of the "F" in FULL.) For those that logically just add oil until they hit the correct dipstick level (what a concept), I'm curious how much oil that actually is? Thanks!

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

A local Dodge dealer did something similar on my SRT-10. The Viper tech who did the work said the service manual calls for 11 quarts, and used all 11 quarts while I was standing right next to him doing the work. When I came home, I checked the owner's manual (which states 10 quarts) and the new dip stick reading, which showed about one quart over the "fill" line. Because I was concerned (just like you), I called Bill P. at Woodhouse (I bought the car from him) and he told me not to worry, because the extra oil will sloush around in the engine and won't do no harm. My oil pressure hovers between 40 to 80 depending on driving situations, but never goes below 40, so I tend to agree with Bill P's assessment. Regardless, I am going to do all oil/filter changes myself from here on out. BTW, if you have to take it to the dealers, ask them to give YOU the extra quart rather than pouring it into your car.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the discrepancy comes in when a "new" oil filter gets filled with oil for the first time. It ***** up about a quart, necessitating the need for one more quart (making it 11 quarts). Maybe I'm full of it, but that would be my best guess. I ended up putting 11 quarts in for my last change after the filter was filled.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local dealer had a $2.99 oil change special so I took the SRT in. They provided the filter, but I provided the 10 Qts of oil.
That way....I KNEW how much was in it!
PBR

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason for the discrepancy is because the service manual lists engine’s total capacity (11qts) and the user manual shows quantity of oil capable of being changed (10qts). Some oil remains in engine pockets and impossible to drain.

Overfilling can result in a loss of as much as 12hp, according to a technical article I recently read in Circle Track. Points on the crankshaft counterweights travel at over 170mph and if they are slapping excess oil this will affect performance. The SRT is equipped with a crankshaft oil scrapper to push oil away from the crank but overfilling can’t be a good thing for performance.

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did the 500 mile oil change on my SRT and the car took right at 10 quarts with new filter to get the oil level to the top of the safe range. This agrees with the Owner's Manual.
Dave

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The service manual does confirm that overfilling will cause the connecting rods to dip into the oil at the bottom of the pan. This will not only result in lost performance, but it also creates foam that is fed up to the hydraulic tappets softening their function, and equating into noisy valves.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2002 manual clearly said "overfilling can result in severe engine damage". Haven't read the 03 yet. If they put 12 in, they ripped you off by about two quarts and could potentially cause damage down the road (i.e. after the warranty expires)

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both times I've had mine done, the dealer uses 10.5 quarts. I go home with the extra 1/2 quart since they charge me for 11.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My 2002 manual clearly said "overfilling can result in severe engine damage". Haven't read the 03 yet. If they put 12 in, they ripped you off by about two quarts and could potentially cause damage down the road (i.e. after the warranty expires)

the manual also doesnt define "overfilling" very well. Overfilled by 1 quart? no biggie at all. 2 quarts? maybe a little foam. when you get into the 3+ territory, then you're asking for it. "Severe engine damage" is a worst case scenario from excessive foam, or even perhaps if EXTREMELY overfull, maybe hydraulic lock... which could definatly break an engine.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is: a difference between what the owners manual says, and what the service manual says. One end of the engineering team wasn't sleeping with the other end. Agreed, one quart won't matter much. The first post says 11.5 was put in when 10 should have brought it up to the dipstick line. Kinda borderline.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the difference comes from wether you have a bone dry oil system or if you are doing a drain and fill.

On a drain and fill (and filter), you'll only need 10 quarts. If you also drain the oil cooler (heat exchanger and lines) you'll need that 11th quart.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what the service manual says..

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

My SRT took 11 quarts, which was right to the fill line on the dipstick. I did let it drain for about 4 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper