MGW First Strike Race Knob----or short shaft ??? I need advice!

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been back through previous posts using the search feature for the forums,and have found a lot of helpful material, but not necessarily the exact answer to my problem. Here goes.... Will installing a lower shift knob help me get a more precise shift? Or is the answer a shorter shaft? Or a different linkage? I am one who is slow to modify---I like to keep things stock. So far, the only change I've made to the SRT-10 is to eliminate the mufflers, and I'm totally pleased with the new sound. I don't dislike the looks of the factory knob, and don't want to make a change just for a different look. My problem is that I have to concentrate on not missing a gear or hitting a wrong gear at high rpm's. Not that it happens often....but it has happened. As others have said, the gate seems slightly angled. I consciously hold my elbow in against my body,and it seems to help. But if changing a shaft or knob will help my confidence, maybe that's the thing to do. Incidentally, I have had manual transmission cars since I started driving back in the late 60's. Thanks for any thoughts.

Bill.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just recently changed my stock shifter knob out for an MGW First Strike low profile shifter knob and couldn't be happier. What a difference … not only does it put the shifter at a reasonable height, it shortens the throws and just plain fits in the hand perfectly. Changing the stock knob may provide some assistants with your concerns about miss shifts. As for changing out the shifter itself, I do not believe B&M has released a unit for a Gen 3 application. I’d seriously give MGW a close look as their quality is first rate and fit and finish is not unlike fine jewelry. So far I’ve purchased MGW’s first strike shifter and license plate frame and I’m sure I’ll be putting more business their way.

RogerL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto on the MGW shift knob. Get rid of the lockout as well, you will like the shifting better.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto. But even with it my confidence in shifts is less than ideal. Due to the lack of confidence at the drag strip I miss shifts occasionally - always to the "safe" side. For whatever reason I am more confident with the RT/10 (also with an MGW knob).

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The First Strike knob is certainly the least expensive route to take up front and also the easiest to install. My suggestion is to buy it, install it, and then decide if you want to spend hundreds more for an actual shift kit. I know that the First Strike knob was my very first purchase for the SRT-10 - I couldn't stand the stock knob and never have. Short throws, more precision shifting, and haven't missed a shift yet. Looks awesome too!

You must be registered for see images

Longo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Add me to the list of satisfied "short-shifters". MGW's shifter makes an absolute world of difference. I wouldn't think twice about making the change. Plus.....if you like the look of the old one, you can turn it into a cool desk decoration!!

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I ordered a First Strike Race Knob from George at MGW last week, on my way to the beach for a little vacation. I got home today, it's here, it's beautiful and it's installed tomorrow. Hopefully, this will cure my shifting problem. If not, I hear Woodhouse has a heavier spring to kick the shifter to the 2-4 position.Thanks!

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456