Weight saving? What's the easiest?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weight saving? What\'s the easiest?

After reading about the Carbon SRT-10 at the SEMA show and how it shed 150 lbs, I have been wondering what I could do to lighten up my GTS!

Wheels, seats, spare. How much can weight can one shed by changing the stock parts?
Any other options for weight savings for street setup? Of course, I would kick the passenger out of the car! :D And I don't think I can lose any weight myself, so that's not an option! :p

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Weight saving? What\'s the easiest?

The hood alone will save you 60lbs :eek: dont forget rotors, wheels, and running less gas will aslo save you some weight, every gallon weight 5lbs ;) Other things you can do is pull the spare(bad idea), if you cant lose weight, drive naked, some clothes with shoes can weigh as much as 10lbs lol.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about a muffler delete and straight pipes instead of resonators / cats in the sills? The stock muffler unit is about 40lbs off the back and resonators are maybe a 15-20lb savings. That's 60lbs (hood) 55lbs (exhaust) 60lbs 1/4 tank fuel instead of full (5lbs x 12 gallons) 20lbs spare/jack removed. Total = 195lbs.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about a muffler delete and straight pipes instead of resonators / cats in the sills? The stock muffler unit is about 40lbs off the back and resonators are maybe a 15-20lb savings. That's 60lbs (hood) 55lbs (exhaust) 60lbs 1/4 tank fuel instead of full (5lbs x 12 gallons) 20lbs spare/jack removed. Total = 195lbs.

Good suggestions. :2tu:

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i heard Vipermed's new Carbon Fiber hood its around 19 lbs :eek:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would think you could find a lot better way to spend $6500 than on a hood. You could put heads and cam on your car for that! Who's faster then, you, or the guy that saved 19lbs? Easy choice for me!

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exhaust is a good idea, but I alreay have borla. Not sure if I gained weight there or lost some, but that stock rear muffler section is HEAVY!
I think Vipermed's hood is awesome! I am going to wait for his supper-deal in the future though! ;)
Not many talking about the seats and the weight savings there! The stock seat have to weigh at least 1 ton, so some Recaro or Sparco seat could make a large dent there also?
Wheels and rotors are in the plans for the spring!
I won't wear my steel toe harley boots to the track any more! :p
What else? Radiator?

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wheels and tires!!!(slicks and skinnies) 60# unsprung weight vs stock, front sway bar, 10#, 2.5# in your washer reservoir, wiper motors 5#, heater box 1.5# or just hire a 90# girl to drive it!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Almighty DLM horsepower calculator HERE seems to indicate all of about 12hp per HUNDRED POUNDS (!) lost, if you plug in 3600lbs and a speed around 115-120mph, then reduced the weight and see how much less HP is needed to run the same MPH. :(

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remove A/C, carpets and sound insulation, radio-speakers, also add light weight racing seats, and other nonessential to speed items. that is already quite a few pounds along w/ lighter hood, wheels, brakes, and other you should be able to save weight. I've heard that for each 8-9lbs removed is like adding one HP.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

, if you cant lose weight, drive naked,

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rock on Mike!!!!! :2tu: :headbang: :2tu:
one word Speedos :p I swear I will do this in the summer for $hits and giggles lol. You think anyone would wanna race me lol???

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

one word Speedos I swear I will do this in the summer for $hits and giggles lol. You think anyone would wanna race me lol???

I wouldn't want to be the loser in that race!! :eek: