Drag Racing school (lonnggg)

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Oct 20-21 I went to Frank Hawley's at Pomona, California. There were 9 students ranging from a 16 year old girl to a world class drag boat racer switching to pavement. Most owned or had just bought race cars. It cost $1,795 and they gave me a $100 NHRA discount. I probably should join the NHRA.
The course started at 7:30 AM with a few hours of theory and basics. The instructor was a pro racer, "Fast Jack" Beckman. Wouldn't want the slow one. Frank teaches the course in Gainesville and is even more intense than this guy with the laser stare. The tension builds as you can see through the glass behind the instructor as the crew rolls out the cars. There is a tube frame Firebird with a 700 hp engine that runs 9's and I needed a door car license, so that was supposed to be my ride. There were 3 rear engine dragsters with the same power that ran 8's. They looked like so much fun I switched.
The first run is only 200'. The 60' is 1.2 and big dirty fun. My head snapped back into the seat and cage, and the feeling in my back was great. We went back to video review and more learning. Most people backed off when the power hit and failed the run. Each extra run beyond the 6 you need to license costs $200.
Next was 600' and I launched at 3500 rpm instead of 5500. The instructor figured I was playing my "Viper on drag radials program". More review and instruction.
I redid the 600' and the day ended. We all were quite humbled. There was a lot to it.
7:30 again, then a 1000', then 3 full passes, with review and learning after each. My fastest was 8.811 at 147.15.
They didn't baby us and didn't shame us either. I learned there was a huge gap between the real racers and the hobby racers. It was a pro start tree with .4 reaction time allowed. Those cars with driver can't react that fast, but the drag boat guy was cracking off consistent.50Xs. The extreme focus of the instructor also showed us the the intensity of the only other "real" racer. Only 2 guys made it in 6 passes and only myself and one other did it in 7.
It was great fun and huge learning. It was exciting to be on such a legendary track.
When I drove home I saw a small forest fire burning off in the San Bernadino mountains. The next 10 days kept me busy, ready to evacuate if necessary, as we could see flames in the distance from our back yard.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. It sounds like it was worth it??? I've been wanting to do it but I've been so disappointed in some of the other schools.

Aren't the fires dying down? I thought you got some rain earlier.

OP
OP
S

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, for a track near-****** like me it was easily worth it. For you it probably would be boring.
The fires died about 10 days ago. They just kept my mind on other things so I did not post the review. It was interesting to see our priorities on what to take when it became time to consider evacuation. Much as I love it, the Viper didn't make the list.

OP
OP
S

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the brakes. There are no brakes on the small front wheels, but on the back are the ultimate in anti-lock brakes. The amazing traction of the tires works both ways. On my first full 1/4 mile pass I was enjoying the scenery and feeling good, and then I remembered I had to stop. I hit the brakes and have never experienced slowing like that. Neither had the car, probably, and the tub bottomed on the track and bounced like that a few times. Fortunately it was about 1/2 a mile from the instructor and it is hard to see sparks on a sunny day so he didn't bomb that run for me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456