Should I sell and buy

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
67 McLaren M-12 GT Coupe that is street legal? Small interior, I don't think any air, but what a sweet looking ride.

420mclaren_m12.jpg

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually this may be a 1969 McLaren M6B coupe. I need to figure out which one it is.

Too bad that to most folks it will look like a "kit car"

I also wonder about history and how to confirm

Carl

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool!

One of 17 :eek: :eek:

Wonder what it would cost to maintain? Yes-I know if you have to ask that you can't afford it (and I can't)

I think you should keep BOTH :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can you should see it in person if you haven't already done it. That way you would know for sure if it looks like a kit car or not.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that the one at Bobileff's?
If it is then it's a 1969 McLaren M6B coupe. I've spoken to the owner before about it. It's street driveable, but it is set up for full out competition.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw it at lunch although I didn't open either clip. I've done a little quick study on them. Only two actual cars were built by Mclaren but several, perhaps 27 replicas were built.

To quote:
With barely two years until that fateful June day in 1970 when Bruce lost control of one of his CanAm cars at Goodwood, it was no surprise that the M6GT project was still-born. In fact, only two cars ever made it off the production line; one was Bruce's own works prototype OBH 500H, now in the USA. The other was sold to British enthusiast David Prophet. Despite the rarity of the original M6GTs, half a dozen 'replicas' exist around the world.

Enter Nigel Hulme. A vintage car racer with a definite feel for big bangers – he has raced in Lola's fearsome T70 and AC's equally evil Cobra for many years – Nigel decided to lovingly replicate the M6GT in a style of which, he believes, Bruce would definitely approve.

"I think 'replica' is a misused word," says Hulme. "It really is a recreation of Bruce's first GT. We used the same recipe."

How did he decide on the ingredients?

"Well, it was Trojan, the firm responsible for producing McLaren's customer racing cars, that started the ball rolling. It offered a customer version of Bruce's successful M6 works race car; anyone who wanted to race the M6 in a private capacity could do so, thanks to Trojan. There were 28 of these cars, codenamed M6B, built as rolling chassis ready to accept a Chevrolet V8 or whatever engine the customer wanted."

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok...this is getting more interesting. I've got to go back and do some more checking. If it's a '67 M6 then it's had the body work changed to a coupe. Although what I really believe it to be a Trojan built in '69 and somehow the car is registered as a '67. I has a 302 chevy in it....two bad not a BB. Based on what I can find the car weighs about 1600 lbs.

I'm going to talk to the owner on Monday.

Carl

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
302 is a chevy motor also. Basically a 350 with a 283 crank. Spins like a ****. Used in Trans Am when then needed to be under 5 liters.

I really think it's one of the Trojan cars built in either '69 or early '70s. There were actually only 4 Mclarens built. One is in NZ, one was modified and the top removed now no a coupe, the last one was sold to a guy in Canada with a 350 uninstalled. Very doubtful this is the 3rd one based on the chassis number. But is is chassis number 16 of a planned run of 60. As best I can find out quickly they made 27 of them. The car is suppose to be capable of 0-100 in 8 secs with a top speed of 225 MPH. that ought to be a hoot!

I should know more after Monday. If I do get the bug the wife will kill me.......yikes.

Later,
Carl

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Should I sell and buy?
Based on looks? No, viper the clear winner. There will be many skeptics thinking you are driving a kit car.

Performance? I know nothing about this car, but at least in the 1/4 mi, your 800+ TQ viper should give this car a run for its money.

Price? Again, I don't know about the above car, but I am assuming it's expensive and I would not trade your car even for that car. Your car runs like a new car and I would bet that car would not act like a new car but a car that was made 34 years ago, starting with the fact that there is no A/C, which would be a bit@h living in sunny San Diego.

Now if you are talking about a Lambo, now that's a different story. JMHO

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
302 is a chevy motor also. Basically a 350 with a 283 crank. Spins like a ****. Used in Trans Am when then needed to be under 5 liters.
Kewl. . . I never knew that.

Did you drive this thing?

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
With the HP & TQ numbers you're running the Viper should be quicker including 0-100. I think the Viper looks better also. I'd keep the Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth