The Lawsuit is over

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I filed suit against TNT Motorsports about 9 months ago over a block swap. My 2001 block was swapped for a 1998 block. Nine months ago ended when Nick Fields a partner in TNT called me directly against the Attorneys wished. (People talk and Attorneys stop making $200.00 an hour)
Because of Nick Fields we ended the suit with a settlement that we could both live with. I have my 2001 motor block, TNT has the 1998 motor and block.
I do appreciate Nick Fields getting tired of this fight and stepping up to put an end to what was a mess to say the least.
Nick Fields took control and put an end to what would have drug through the courts for the next couple of years. TNT through and with Nick Fields made it right and now we both can put our efforts to where they belong, on racing.
THANK YOU NICK, way to go.

Rohn

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Starving lawyers stealing from the public never want the indivduals to talk, because they know that people are resonable, therefore cutting them out of the gravy train.

Rohn, It's wonderful that you guys got together and you are made whole again. BTW... I love your Viper!

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, ALL Lawyers are evil.

I bet a lawsuit didn't even have to be filed. I bet other side probably just woke up after nine months and spontaneously decided to settle. I bet the work your lawyer did had nothing to do with it. I bet the lawsuit probably had nothing to do with it. In fact, the lawyers probably fabricated the whole dispute, like a dream sequence in a movie. :rolleyes:

Damn lawyers!!!

Anyway, it is great that you resolved amicably!! Direct communication is always the smartest resolution!! On to better things. :2tu:

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh please, spare us the "it's all the lawyers' fault" cop out. To paraphrase the NRA, lawyers don't sue people, people sue people. Do you think there's a prohibition against people talking BEFORE they get lawyers involved? Of course not, and they usually do. The problem is the PEOPLE are too hard-headed and macho to compromise early in disputes and therefore they turn it over to the lawyers--often with gung-** instructions to fight the other side to the death on every point, no matter how minor or expensive. "My lawyer can kick your lawyer's ass" is quite similar to "my car is faster than your car," and almost as common. I can tell you firsthand that preaching caution and reason and pointing out potential weaknesses in a new client's case frequently has no effect at all, other than the possibility of getting you fired before you even get started for not being "aggressive" enough.

Then a remarkable but predictable transformation begins. After Mr. Scorched Earth client personally experiences how long litigation can take, how expensive it truly can be, how much time it takes away from other more productive pursuits, and yet how uncertain it remains, guess what?? His attitude softens and he seeks compromise, and the case may then settle. But often not until after the face-saving exercise of blaming the lawyer for not really telling him of the expense, the legal weaknesses of his case, etc. (Yes, the same lawyer who did exactly that at the outset; it matters not what the lawyer actually did because the important thing is for Mr. Scorched Earth to have someone or something to blame other than his own hardheadedness and insecurity).

So congratulations on resolving your dispute, with or without the help of your respective agents.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, ALL Lawyers are evil....Damn lawyers!!!
I wouldn't say ALL lawyers are evil, heck there are a few here on VI so they are exempt. Its those astronomical settlements that I disagree with. Just read somewhere of a national dispute (tobacco?), in which the lawyers received over 1/2 billion dollars. And get this, the lawyers are appealing the settlement and saying they are owed billions which translated to $17,000+ per billable hour! Just reporting what I read in print. That, my friends, is obscene.

dancojax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a member of a couple of Bars (and several bars) I appreciate the problem of litigating lawyers.
But, as some true dry humor, consider the following:

Some years ago, in a small town in the UP of Michigan a young lawyer hung out his shingle. Unfortunately there was little business and he lived very sparsely.
Then, another lawyer moved to town, and soon they were both rich.
I'm told it's true, but even if it's not, IT SURE AS HECK COULD BE!!!!!

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rohn I'm glad it worked out.

As far as lawyers go, myself and my friends like lawyers, they always bring a big bankroll to the poker game...

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm a little mixfused - were you willing to sue because TNT gave you an older (but properly built) block back, or was there something wrong with the block you recieved?

If TNT gave you a block that was properly worked on and it did what you expected I don't see why it would matter if it was an 01 or a 93 block. (That is unless Texas was researching engine blocks for emissions all of a sudden.)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Too funny. We have some thin skinned lawyers amongst us. You guys should follow Slaughter's lead. He knows how to play.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you pay for something, you deserve and are entitled to get what you want. if they had given him a 96 block that put out 800hp, and was ten times better then the ordered one, he could very easily demand the ordered engine...wouldn't be "smart", but certainly within his rights.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I don't hate lawyers, but we need some tort reform to keep insurance costs in check, and unclutter the courts.

Limit damages according to an agreed upon scale, like car repair costs.

Burnt your lap cause you fumbled your coffee?
$50

Tripped cause you didn't see the crack in the sidewalk?
$50

etc etc

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they tried that with the medical field. They are suggesting if not alreayd put in place a $250,000 limit on damage awards. This is a bad thing because if a mother of three dies due to gross negligence, unless a special amendment is present in the bylaws, the family could only get $250,000. However, I know how insane doctors' bills are for insurance cost. Average insurance costs a year for something like a PhD in Florida is like $200,000. Tons of doctors are leaving Florida because they can't afford the insurance coverage. It ***** both ways but docotrs for the most part do not intentionally hurt their patients. While hurt patients / families do deserve some compensation if due to negligence on behalf of the hospital, it is wrong to say a doctor cover all costs, especially the really high ones.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said Bonkers

I'm a little mixfused - were you willing to sue because TNT gave you an older (but properly built) block back, or was there something wrong with the block you recieved?

If TNT gave you a block that was properly worked on and it did what you expected I don't see why it would matter if it was an 01 or a 93 block. (That is unless Texas was researching engine blocks for emissions all of a sudden.)

Oh Rohn...Allow me... :rolleyes:

1. Most of us car geeks bought a $70K car, and plan on keeping it, or at least if we do ever sell, it will be a NUMBERS MATCHING CAR.

2. The 1998 block had an 8 quart oil pan, the 2001 has a ten quart pan...big diff

3. So...if you (Bonkers) bought a 2001 Viper and the dealer gave you a 1998, you'd have no problem with it??? There's not much diff...(Assuming neither were burnt to a crisp?) :eek:

Glad to hear you resolved this whole issue Rohn!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does numbers matching mean nothing to you?

OP
OP
J

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake Bitten and Craig 201
You understand and if Bonkers has no problem the 1998 motor is for sale and can be dropped in his car. Matching numbers, 2 qt oil pan etc, etc.
When anyone gives a new motor to be built they should get the same back. If a swap of any type happens proper paper work, bill of sale and a call to the owner should take place.
Bonkers,
Go sale a Viper with a title that had 2 Vin numbers, 2 different sets, 1 Viper, 1 Motor and how would you explain it to the customer? I never had the "bill of sale" so how would I sell a motor with no title? If you are really interested do a search and read the first post when this happened, thanku

Bottom line is I did not make 1 dollar and never wanted to, I got close to even and have my matching Vin #'d block in my 01 Viper.

Nick surprised me with the phone call that put an end to this before going to court, Thank you Nick.
Nick did the right thing and by his actions I believe TNT with Nick around will do OK. Nick came through when the Attorney's would rather of had us fight it out in court.

Also thanks to everyone that spent time talking to me about this when it first went down. I appreciated all of the good advise.

Snake Bitten
Are you going to be in San Antonio for the races. You have to know that the Dec. 7th date was just for you. I remember your post asking for a different date.

Thanks again
Rohn
PS: Only 30 more shopping day's before Christmas, buy yourself a new Viper for Christmas. :headbang:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Too funny. We have some thin skinned lawyers amongst us. You guys should follow Slaughter's lead. He knows how to play.

LOL! Lots of thin-skinned people in general here ;) Oh, and we always promote our clients to talk to resolve contentious matters - if they can resolve it, great and it makes for a good repeat client, if not we'll handle it.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After dealing with a few lawyers it leaves a BAD TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH. Win lose or draw the lawyer wins they get paid regardless of the out come. It's their job to paint the best possible picture but in the end compromise is generally the best way out. Lawyers always get full pop no compromise on their behalf. Yes they **** but we need them. Good job Rohn on resolving the issue with Nick. Hopefully Bill at Apex will step up to the plate or waste good money after bad with lawyers.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since when did calling BS on posts that are BS become a sign of thin skin? If the guy had related some facts than I thought indicated his lawyer was a sleazebag, I would have been the first to say that too. Just the facts, ma'am.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper