Modified Exhaust Question

Tool Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I've been watching the board for about a year, this is my first post. I would like to buy an SRT and finally had a chance to drive one at a local dealer. Needless to say I was impressed but I have a question. For those of you who have modified the exhaust, i.e. removed cats, replaced stock mufflers, etc. Do you think you've raised the power band? I know it would probably be subtle but since I would be interested in making this change your opinions would be appreciated.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tool Man,
I removed the mufflers under the side sills and replaced them with straight pipes. I feel like it gave me a boost but maybe it was the psychological aspect of being able to hear the engine at WOT. It also cools down the side sills and interior of the car a bit. It's a terrific $30 modification. The car is much more fun to drive.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been recent posts with much replying in recent months on the subject. Check out some of these. You very much will like this upgrade. As for straight pipes, well I think you may want to try the Bullet Performance Mufflers out there. This controls the tone very nicely. As for the sec. cats, they will make all the diff. in the world when removed, and still pass all emisiion tests out there. j

Skip

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been recent posts with much replying in recent months on the subject. Check out some of these. You very much will like this upgrade. As for straight pipes, well I think you may want to try the Bullet Performance Mufflers out there. This controls the tone very nicely. As for the sec. cats, they will make all the diff. in the world when removed, and still pass all emisiion tests out there. j

Skip

Skip---no flame intended---but I went the straight pipe route like Russ did, and I like the sound a lot. Did you try that or did you go to the Bullets immediately?

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Dyno I gained 44 crank HP with Belanger's system, and the footwell heat is gone.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dawg2snake...

Great power gain! Just curious, did you install only the Belanger cat-back exhaust system or their headers as well? Also, was the install fairly straight forward with no issues? Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
TOOLMAN ! Another "Lurker" emerges.......Welcome!

DAWG installed the Belanger Header System, with HF cats and Belanger sidepipes, and Crossover delete. Saves 30+ pounds. Gains 40+ Hp, Runs waaay cooler becasue the "Space Heater" crossover behind the cockpit is gone....

Muffler options, mild to wild !!!

[ Available at a year-end discount from PartsRack, THANKS ! ]

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been away for a while, so I'll try to revive this subject once more.

As for trying the car with straight pipes, no I didn't, my memory from the past was that straight pipes had a somewhat sloppy sound. The Bullet Performance muffler is not in any way restrictive, and if in the shorter version, it is a bit loud. Best of all it does control the sound in a way straight pipes can't. As for the crossover being removed, well you all remember the sound of Thrush pipes,"terrible". The heat that is said to be generated from the crossover, I would say the sec. cats is the culprit there, not to mention all the other benefits of removing them. So I say use the Bullet's and off with the sec. cats, and you have it.

Skip

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
44 HP from a cat back system! That can't be so. This must be with headers, and even then, that's high. I don't think open headers would create this kind of HP gain.

I hope no one thinks the Bullet Performance Muffler is anything like a glass pack, no way are they. Have ya ever notice what a glass pack looks like inside? Very restrictive looking to me. If the ribs that are procduced by a conventional pipe bender are restrictive, as they are said to be, then I would say the fluting inside a glass pack is very much so.

Skip

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried $30 glass packs and my observations are as follows:

(1) No noticeable power gain (no gain was anticipated);
(2) A lot louder than stock muffler (which was what I was looking for); but
(3) CANNOT stand the DRONE.

I will be replacing the glass packs and stock exhaust tips with Corsa cat-back within next two weeks. With this change, I hope for gain some power, enhance exhaust note quality (no more drone), and better the appearance of the car (Corsa comes with polished tips). So in response to your question, I would have to say if you're looking for power gain with exhaust modification only, you may have to spend some $$$$.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put the mufflers I have mentioned above you will not have the drone, nor the restriction, be it small, I'm sure there is some. I will post some pics of the Bullet mufflers when I get some more. They are very well made. The sound could not be any better with the Corsa, or others out there. They are no different in the way they are made, and all of them are of a resonator design, and the length of them is what determines the sound level. I love the fact that they are one half inch smaller around the body. The oem's are very tight in there, as was indicated by the body flange imprint in the side sill insulation. No way is a cat back system worth 12-15 hundred dollars. Take my word on this, I have heard them all, and seen how they are made, no way will I ever buy another. Spend around $120.00 on the car, and put the other money in something else on the car. Oh, as for the tips that Corsa offers, yes, they are first class all the way,and they won't let you buy just the tips. No there would be a nice upgrade if you could by a set of tips for around $75.00-$100.00

Skip White [email protected]

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey skip
I bought the bullets but bad weather in ny will not permit the install (srt10 in storage) but I can't wait to hear them. I will post the sound and movie of it when its done, hopefully soon. I bougth the smaller more louder ones.

d.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are tips out there and are only in the $150.00 range. I put them on my car last summer, I don't have the name or contact information here at work but I seem to remember that the company was High Altitude or something likt that. They look good and install with a supplied alan wrench in about ten minutes. They advertised in the last magazine. You can find them there.

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the muflers on my SRT. The sound at WOT is awesome and it doesn't drone too much. The only problem I have with it is the excessive popping and backfiring during decelleration. Other than that, it's a cheap and easy way to make the SRT sound better.

Tim

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the 'excessive' backfiring! Sounds like a race car. Either way, try the straight pipes first, then glass packs, then if you don't like either, go with a belanger / corsa / etc. I'd really like to know the source of the polished tips.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zero Altitude Flight, perhaps? I'd like polished tips, too... the cut off tubing look just doesn't finish the car off nicely - a polished tip next to the polished 19" wheel would be a classy update.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That popping and backfiring noise you here is from runing straight exhaust. The mufflers will tone that down. I must again mention, there is a big difference in the glass packs and true straight thru mufflers. Look inside of the Borlas, corsa, Bullet Brand, and you will not see the fluted walls. They are perforated. This fluting is very restrictive. And if you use the Bullet Brand, go with the 16 inch one. The long one is way to suttle in sound. The popping and fluttering noise when deaccelerating is very low with this, not to mention the sound is cleaner and tighter.

Skip White
Sorry to go thru this again, I just want all to know you don't have to spend $12-1,500.00 on a system that does not do any thing different,when the pipe in front of the cat is still 2.5 or whatever inches around, think about it.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to the people at Bullet about some tips. They are going to see what they can come up with. Sure would be nice to get away from that $150.00 price. Thats terrible to pay for a couple of tips. How much work is it to make an exhaust tip and then chrome plate it?????

Skip White

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
borla is coming out with a polished tip in the cat-back exhaust package. actually had a set on my SRT, but changed back to stock tip - style preference. i have the borla mufflers on my SRT and they sound great throught RPM range with minimal backfire.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa has the best looking tips I've ever seen, but they won't sell only the tips. I sure hope to find them.

Jim M. says he removed the tips that Borla supplied. I seen those style tips, the don't even come close to the Corsa tips. I'll let you guys know if I find some tips that look like the Corsa, they are the best out there.

Skip White

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger has several different systems. I did the Belanger headers, a single hi-flow cat on either side, and side pipe mufflers eliminating the crossover. The heat is gone from the footwell, I got 44 hp increase by dyno measurement, and the car sounds awesome!!!!! On top of that I did do chrome tips - Belnger's will do any tip you like. The chrome tips are gorgeous. I believe Belanger has the only system that does not void or alter the DC warranty as well. Belanger headers is located in Phenix.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone would like to purchase some of the Bullet Performance mufflers, I can supply them. I really do think these are the nicest mufflers I ever seen, not to mention, they are not designed like a typical glass pack. The cost on them is around $55.00 each. I use them on so many of the cars I sell that I keep a large stock of them. They are all stainless and very well made The sound they produce is great. E-mail me if you need more info on them, [email protected]

Skip White

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper