Should I winter drive my Viper??

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, Living in Ct ***** this time of year, 2 snowstorms already..I noticed today That the roads are really clear due to some heavy rains. I am thinking of putting my GTS back on the road until it snows hard again. Am I nuts??? They are saying it is going to be warmer for at least the next week. I put my car on the road last May, the roads were really sandy then from a really bad winter here. What would you do?? 00PROWLER

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If there is no salt on the road and there is no snow I would take mine out then bring it home and give it a good bath. Took mine down through the neighborhood today in Cincinnati just to get it oiled up a bit. Now it is back under wraps for who knows how long! Winter just BLOWS!

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the same situation today...

Hell with it, I took it out :headbang:

Roads here in northern NJ are pretty close to those in CT. After Wednesday's hard rain, there isn't anything on the roads down here. I would worry more about cold tires.

Take it out, thats what its for ;)

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine yesterday and today, about 150 miles.
Great weather, my old -93 is definately not going over 180 degrees like usually.
Cold tires is a problem, but you can get nice long slides though!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Chicago and I drive mine in the winter.

I seek 32 degrees + days after a big rain since most of the residual salt washes off the road so the conditions you describe are pretty optimal. San Diego would be more optimal but....

The low air temp helps HP but hurts traction; the combination makes for some interesting turns. I would recommend thoroughly washing at least the wheels (or wiping them down with water) after every winter trip....there is always a little salt that somehow mixes with brake dust and the alchemy that results tends to pit the chrome very quickly.

If you elect to go out in more than 2 inches of snow, do remember to send a bill to your local Streets & Sanitation Department because you will help them with the plowing objective.

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am another viper owner in Jersey that had to take a ride today. The main roads and highways are salt free since the rain a few days ago but the side roads have some salt dust on them due to the fact of the rain that ran across the road in spots and froze so they had to resalt those areas.
So, I just avoid the side roads and I put around 50 miles on today. This was the first drive in almost 3 weeks for me. I just hate to let the car sit much longer than that.
Just like everyone else has said, the tires do stay cold and slick for a long time. The car seemed to stay real clean but I guess it would be a good idea to clean up the rims.
I just really needed my viper fix today!!
Weather is going to be great the next couple of days..go for it.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got in a few miles today also. It rained heavy last night, which is a surprise for Reno to get rain this time of year. I still have a grin on my face on how well the car drives with my new Roe S/C. The power and where it hits in the RPM band is so much more than I expected. The car is not a HP King, but the fun factor is unbelievable for a bolt on accessory...

I am already working on my “have pity on me” face with the officer and am hoping the following line will work:

"Here you get in it and see if you can keep your foot out of it..."

If the roads are clear and dry I will be out…

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
We had a SWEET bonus day today in Iowa with temps hitting 50. I was just about to put my snake under wraps and drop the insurance to comprehensive only - glad I procrastinated! Two + hours of (Christmas) SPIRITED driving in a VIPER is a sure fire cure for the winter blues!

On a good note - since today is the winter solstice and the shortest day of the year - we start the long road back to spring tomorrow! :2tu:

Reaction score
I practically agree with all of the above. You have to decide if you want to winterize your snake and put it away for the duration. Just starting the car up periodically with out driving it would be detrimental. If you choose to drive the car, I would recommend you put some honest miles on it before you put to sleep again. During winter driving, you might want to pick a route with less traffic, as sand, salt, and especially gravel will take there toll if you get too close. It's your call.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
00Prowler: I say hit it if there is no salt on the road. You just need to be smoother than you are in normal temperatures. I had my car out yesterday and it was a blast! Me and three Viper friends got pulled over by NINE cops. No tickets of course== > It was the other three Vipers officers.........Honest! ;) :headbang:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is obvious from your post that you are keenly aware of the little known fact that Vipers are far too mechanically sophisticated to run below 50 degrees. Your brilliance is unmistakable! :2tu:

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went for it. I drove it today, about a 100 miles or so!! Im gonna drive it Christmas day and beyond.. A little squirley in the cold, nothing I cant handle...Sure felt good, Sticks out big time . Most cars are pretty dirty around here...Saw a new 911 turbo in my Jeep on my way to get the Viper, wish the timing was better...00PROWLER...

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
crank up the heat and go!!! (Colder air in the intake feels like an extra 16 hp?!?!)

Anyway, just be careful of the cold tire situation. I never had a car that got so loose in the cold. It really took me by surprise the first time. Just be careful and ENJOY! :laugh:

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have not seen the sun in Cincinnati but 1 time in the last 2 weeks. Now it is cold and raining and there is supposed to be snow on the way. Roads are all salted up so even it it did dry up still couldn't go out there and drive. My daily driver looks like a salt brick! The MW ***** this time of year! High taxes and lousy weather. Can't wait to retire and blow this place!!!!

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kgrif,
I'm sitting here at work and my Viper is stored here in aheated garage at my office complex, just like my former '02 C-5 was last year. The odd thing is, I could work all winter without giving the Vette much thought. But, since getting my GTS, I can hardly keep my mind on work for wanting to drive the car.
Thing is, I thought that I really liked the Chev. back then.
Go figure.
Rick,
South Cincinnati

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Graphite, me too. Had vettes for years and loved them but nothing like the Viper! When it gets warm again let's roll em out together some day. I work downtown. Randy

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy,
I'm just off of I-75 south, exit 184. We have a 3-bay garage with heat, water, and a low-rise lift, here at work. I usually keep a car here in winter, as I only have 2 bays at my house in the Union, KY area.
Sure glad I don't have to cross the bridge each day. Traffic from here to Cincy in the A.M. is always backed up for miles on 75N.
Rick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave