2000 GTS, born 8-2000, good date?

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have a steele grey 2000 GTS born 8-2000. Have heard of some issues with some 2000 GTS's. Any problems with one built around this time? What kind of cylinders does it have?

S

SUN RA KAT

Q - Any problems with one built around this time?

A - Not until you drive it.

Q - What kind of cylinders does it have?

A - Round and ten of them.

:2tu:

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cast Pistons / and approx the 1st 200 or so had issues. Yours appears to be a later build date. Not all the info you need, but more than Sun Rat Cat.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KGRIF, 2000gts built until 11/99 have a problem with piston sleeves. Not sure of all specifics. Mine was sent out to Arrow for a rebuild. I was buring excessive amounts of oil at track..1-2 qts per session. Also had sparkplug
fouling problem. Your build date should be fine.

Fast Eddie

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kgrif - your build date is too new to have the cylinder sleeve problem. VIPORXXX is right about the dates. My understanding of the issue is that they tried powdered metal cylinder sleeves in the first 200 cars of '00 but that material is so hard (much harder than the sleeves they were using before) that it prevents the rings from seating properly quite a bit of the time. This leads to excessive oil consumption as VIPORXXX mentioned. My engine is currently at Arrow for a rebuild for this exact reason - I had gone through 4 quarts of oil in 1600 miles of normal street use.

GENIIGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kgrif - your build date is too new to have the cylinder sleeve problem. VIPORXXX is right about the dates. My understanding of the issue is that they tried powdered metal cylinder sleeves in the first 200 cars of '00 but that material is so hard (much harder than the sleeves they were using before) that it prevents the rings from seating properly quite a bit of the time. This leads to excessive oil consumption as VIPORXXX mentioned. My engine is currently at Arrow for a rebuild for this exact reason - I had gone through 4 quarts of oil in 1600 miles of normal street use.
MY black Viper GTS was born on 11/99; no oil issues and a strong motor. MoparMan my VIN is 1B3ER69E2YV602816; I'm curious as to how close your Viper was built to mine?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY black Viper GTS was born on 11/99; no oil issues and a strong motor. MoparMan my VIN is 1B3ER69E2YV602816; I'm curious as to how close your Viper was built to mine?

My car was built 10/11/99 and the VIN ends in 705. I don't know if the VINs are in sequence or not, but if they are my GTS was 111 cars earlier than yours. Interestingly, I've heard of a couple other black/silver '00s with this problem. My understanding is that not all of the cars with the powdered metal cylinder sleeves have the problems with the rings not seating properly. Obviously, all of the test mules they built had no problems...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper