How strong is my rear?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured that would get some attention.

I had a rear shippped to me that didn't make it through so great. I'm wondering how many of you have had rears shipped to them or have had some experience with how much punishment the rear can take and still run correctly. It is a complete rear, in tact, cover on, oil inside. I'm afraid the yoke may have taken a whack, but I have to say when I spin it, it seems smooth. I can't hear any grinding or anything like that. And at leas the side yokes spin also.

Thanks,
Andrew

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem you could have is that the tension or crush on the yoke is part of the ring and pinion setup. If you have to change the yoke it might not be that simple as loosening, replacing yoke and re-tightening. Tony is right the internals are not he problem, however, major deformation of the yoke could lead to vibration.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say- Why, you going up to the "big house"?

I wouldn't worry, based on what you have said. It takes a lot to break a bearing that way. If you have a mag-base dial indicator, you can spin the yoke and see if there is any runout.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear is real tough. If your concerned why not remove the cover and check out the assembly. It's not all that hard. I've had mine apart to clean and it looked perfect after running my car hard for years.

Cheers,
Chuck