Need Honest Opinion....

superjoe29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for some honest opinions and help. I am looking at three vehicles for my new daily driver. C5 Vette, Boxster, and of course my front runner RT/10. Can you give me some benefits and pains of using the Viper as a daily driver ie: no windows, bad gas mileage.

Thanks and I hope to be on here soon as an owner.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT as a DD?

You're insane. Where do you live? Get a used carerra or M3

Viper would make a fine daily driver Im sure. Id drive my GTS everyday but it gets icy out.

Dont listen to Craig. Hes a wuss.

C5 is a little more cushy and is fun as hell to drive. The boxter is not very fast and its build quailty has been questioned by most of the car mags.

Get a C5 or R/T. Cant go wrong with either one.

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the C5, it will give you performance and comfort that you would want for a DD. I had one before the GTS. Let alone, you can probably get a great deal on a used once since the new C6 is coming out. I figure the prices are going to drop like a rock. :D

Bandit400

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't get a Viper for a dd let alone an r/t. Go with the c5 or as someone else here suggested, the M3.

Jmho

Phil

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you located ? DD in a 1997 or later RT/10 (with real windows) would be ok. Boxter is small and low power but still fun. C5 would work fine. GTS would be best unless you are in a warm area like Fl. I have had a 01 BoxterS, 98 C5, 01 RT/10 and 96GTS.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in driving my RT/10, I bought the car to enjoy driving it instead of it just sitting there in the garage taking up space.Yeah, high miles may lower the resale price, but dollars can't replace the enjoyment I get in driving my Viper as often as I can. But as a daily driver...I don't think so.Toooooo many *** holes, wet and slippery roads lurking out there.Vipers are a special driving experience, just take one out on the highway and you will see. So get a "******" (C5??) and drive the RT when you can take the windows out, top off and enjoy the open air. :2tu:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a C5 (ZO6) and Boxster S and currently GTS (not RT). The C5 would definitely make the best daily driver but I would get the ZO6 unless you're set on the convertible. The Boxster S was a fun car but no torque.

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree about the M3. It's a honey of a daily driver. It's also very different car from a Viper and it's kind of fun to go from one to the other.

KyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Superjoe, I have a Boxster (1998,5 Spd,Silver)that shares the daily driver assignment with a Expedition (Big Red Boat). I had a C5 (2000,Auto,Triple Black drop top)prior to the Viper. I agree with the others that the Boxster lacks the Torque, but running in the 3000 to 5000 RPM band will still provide some fun. Additionally, the Boxster has great storage (2 trunks), low fuel burn. The RT is used on sunny days when driving is fun and I can keep it pointed where I want to go. :cool:
Hard Decision, Good Luck.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the C5 / Z-06 for the DD and the Viper for fun.

As far as a daily driver, does it snow where you are?
How secure will the car be when you drive it to work / play?
Hate to say it but there are a lot of useless a$$holes out there that like nothing more than to spit, key, walk on and all the other mean senseless acts of vandalism to Vipers.

The Vette is prone to too, but not as much as the Viper.
The Viper gets a LOT (sometimes too much.....on second thought,....nah!) attention when you're out driving, like people following you home, following you into the gas station, giving you thumbs up, BIG smiles, and the occasional middle finger salute.

Now......which car do YOU want?

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the C5 / Z-06 for the DD and the Viper for fun.

As far as a daily driver, does it snow where you are?
How secure will the car be when you drive it to work / play?
Hate to say it but there are a lot of useless a$$holes out there that like nothing more than to spit, key, walk on and all the other mean senseless acts of vandalism to Vipers.

The Vette is prone to too, but not as much as the Viper.
The Viper gets a LOT (sometimes too much.....on second thought,....nah!) attention when you're out driving, like people following you home, following you into the gas station, giving you thumbs up, BIG smiles, and the occasional middle finger salute.

Now......which car do YOU want?
Ditto...Couldn't have said it better myself.
Even if you park far out of the way..people still crowd to it..you will always worry about this car no matter where you leave it.
Don't worry bout the gas mileage...I have gotten as much as 22 MPG on the highway at 75 mph. Around town is worse but I haven't really cared to figure it out.
Before I bought my GTS I thought for sure I would be driving it everyday but because of above reasons and the fact that you will always want it to look its best at all times it just wasn't practical for me to drive everyday.
If you do buy a viper you will be very proud to own it but you better have another car for everyday use.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daily driver or daisy driver?Get a big 4x4 pu or sporte ute.Comfy,all leather,good stereo,hauls stuff.Traffic jam?GO down an embankement or through a field or forest around it.Up and down curbs,push crappy ricers out of your way.Hammer through 2-3 feet of snow like it was an inch.Nope I can't be bothered with a car as a daily driver. Bruce

OP
OP
S

superjoe29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. Guess I should have given a couple more details. I live in beautiful SUNNY SoCal, my wife has a big comfy Expedition and I also have a Mustang to share DD duty. I only have a 14 mile round trip commute. I think the C5 is the smart route, but the C5 is kind of boring. I just wanted an opinion from a couple of owners regarding the RT. From the response is seems like a DD RT is not the greatest of choices......guess I go shopping for RT's this weekend.

Thanks

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, was inclined to tell you to get a C5 at first. But now that I know you have a Stang to drive from time to time, you have to step up and get a Viper! After a couple months of driving it, sell you stang and get some mods for your Viper! :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 83K ecstatic miles on my 98 RT/10. How's that for a daily driver? But I'm a hardazz Florida redneck, you Caligirls might want to go with the creampuff years 00+.

:)

Saph is right, Craig is a wuss.

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nobody cares about a C5 or a Boxster. My friend just bought a new 911 C4 and he was the one asking me all about my GTS. Do some stylin man!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 83K ecstatic miles on my 98 RT/10. How's that for a daily driver? But I'm a hardazz Florida redneck, you Caligirls might want to go with the creampuff years 00+.

Oh man if this was teh alley you would soo get a reply full of squinting smilies right now

[/internettoughguy]

My opinion might change if I wasn't driving a car which is only slighy more friendly as a DD than a GEN 1 RT I sit in about 35 mins of stop/go traffic in my 1.5 hour commute (70 miles each way) and it's getting to be a PITA that I would grow very tiresome if my current position was longer than 4 months. I get out of my car and I'm pi$$ed off and agitated. If I take a car home from work I am relaxed and in a great mood.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for some honest opinions and help. I am looking at three vehicles for my new daily driver. C5 Vette, Boxster, and of course my front runner RT/10. Can you give me some benefits and pains of using the Viper as a daily driver ie: no windows, bad gas mileage.

Thanks and I hope to be on here soon as an owner.

When reading the posts pay CLOSE attention to exactly WHO is giving you their opinon. If they don't even own a Viper just disregard what they say since they have no experience.

To me Viper as daily driver is just fine unless you are a wussy, and YES I do own a Viper and use it as a daily driver :2tu: :rolleyes: :eek: .

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh man if this was teh alley you would soo get a reply full of squinting smilies right now

[/internettoughguy]

My opinion might change if I wasn't driving a car which is only slighy more friendly as a DD than a GEN 1 RT I sit in about 35 mins of stop/go traffic in my 1.5 hour commute (70 miles each way) and it's getting to be a PITA that I would grow very tiresome if my current position was longer than 4 months. I get out of my car and I'm pi$$ed off and agitated. If I take a car home from work I am relaxed and in a great mood.

Craig,

What is your daily driver? I was in Toronto this past week on business. All I can say is that I was cold as HE$$#@# up there. I'd never live there :)

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/internettoughguy]

Craig,

What is your daily driver? I was in Toronto this past week on business. All I can say is that I was cold as HE$$#@# up there. I'd never live there :)

An ancient 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby. Has the t-roofs that leak like crazy, squak and basically drive me nuts. It's been a great car for it's 200K orig miles so far and it's never been apart. Gonna be time to replace it soon.

It's so cold here as of late I can't stand it. We have been getting crazy snow combined with freezing temps is making the roads ice rinks. Not fun to drive on with no ABS!