SRT spanks the GT in the quarter!

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'll give 'em the .3 secs 0-60 and keep the $70k. I'd pass 'em by a hair at the 1/4 mile anyway.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant wait for a timed lap test...That article just indicated the GT feels better like it will be faster than the SRT....The F355 and Modena felt the same way vs the GTS :) but got beat...

I cant help but think they will be a tie or within tenths on the circle track....Look at the MT900 specs...Better than the GT and the SRT held its own in that test against a lightweight racecar with slicks...On factory rubber it was a half a second behind the MT900 which was on slicks...Dont see the GT dominating it on a roadcourse...If I were Ford I would pay the mags not to do a heads up hotlapping with the "convertable SRT"...Let it keep testing to safe cars like the GT3, Modena, Z06...The GT will be dead when the Street Coupe comes out...

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the gt's 600 ft slalom speed of 71.5 mph beat the vipers speed of 70.4 mph. since the viper has a shorter braking distance of 97 feet compared to the gt's 111 feet at 60 mph i would bet that the viper just might beat the gt on a road course. why? because superchargers are built for the drag strip only and become heat soaked and loose power when hot lapped on road courses. duh!!! when was the last time u saw a road course or circle track record ever set with a supercharged engine. never! so when i buy my gt i plan on just pimpin it up and down the highway. my viper will see all the track work.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first I HAD to have the new Ford GT, acutally my name is on a few(6-7) dealers lists to buy the car. If the performance of this car does not beat my SRT I am not sure I will complete a purchase. I do love the styling of the car (GT), like many other cars before it the car could not keep to the initial weight goals stated. Early on there was talk of on or around /under 3000lbs and has grown from there to near 3400 lbs now. I think Ford has found it cheaper to get more power from the engine than to get the lighter weight of the car to meet stated performance goals. I think another mistake was to use the Ferrari 360 as model of performance, the SRT beats this car easily. The only other issue with the car is the growth of the price from the initial stated price of 125k to a near 140k, also typical of most cars I guess. I might still purchase one after seeing some real world test(road course) with the same driver in all competing cars, using real production versions of participants.

I have already picked my line up including

Porsche Turbo(x50) GT2, GT3, and Carrera GT
Ferrari 360, Enzo
Lamborghini Gallardo, Murcialago
Ford GT
Mercedes McLaren SLR
Mosler MT900 (in street trim)
Saleen S7
Dodge Viper SRT

Ok there is the lineup. Now I nominate Justin Bell(or me) to do the driving. Location multiple (Laguna Seca, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Gingerman) all good, also find a drag strip, and superspeedway/ abandonded airforce base location for topspeed testing. The winners should be quite clear in the end. Of course the test would be open to any other production cars(limited production that is), but not to tuner/specialty cars(thats another test) ie: Spyker, Konegseigg(sp?), Buggati Veyron, TVR, Bristol, and that bring a production version of their verhicles.

Sorry to the vette guys, due to the fact that they make more vettes than all the other cars mentioned a year I have not included it. Just kidding. I guess if we have to we can include it also to keep the bowtie buys quiet(there are a lot of them, LOL).

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woah Sylvan..You might wanna take the Enzo off that list....If you want that in then What about the Zonda?...

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it fits in w/ the others, Pagani Zonda is in are you going to bring it. Even though its starting to age bring a McLaren F1 also(still a benchmark). Only requirement is that they be a manufacturers standard issue or available to the public options. ie: no manufacturers ringers(overtuned or tweaked) vehciles and no tuner/specialty cars.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, only .01 but that is better then getting beat! The article in motor trend is worth a read.

Imagine waht the SRT would have done if it had the 3:36 rear gear of the GT instead of it's 3:07!

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the Car and Driver report Ford put a smaller pulley on the blower, but wouldn't let them drive it anywhere near the top end because of the obvious. These "objective" tests are sure manipulated . . .

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the Car and Driver report Ford put a smaller pulley on the blower, but wouldn't let them drive it anywhere near the top end because of the obvious. These "objective" tests are sure manipulated . . .

How is it you know the GT was fitted with a smaller pulley? And what is the "obvious"?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also if they told them to avoid topspeed there is a good chance they know that w/ too much boost that there would be detonation at those engine speeds, and quickly toast a motor.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take it this is a rumor?

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A smaller pulley won't cause the car to over-rev. It would just up the boost....

But companies have been sending "ringers" for tests for ages so it could have been fitted with a smaller pulley, only time will tell when they test a production unit...

Heard from the Ford guys that set up the car. They were afraid that it would over-rev.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A smaller pulley won't cause the car to over-rev. It would just up the boost....

Yeah, that makes sense, as the rev limiter would prevent an over rev under under all acceleration circumstances. Thanks.

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody here said that Ford will sell all the gt's they can... the first year. I agree with that now that I have seen the test results.
I have a srt in the garage, a gts for sale and a gt on order. If I put the s/r blower from my gts on the srt, there won't even be a match.
Will I after all buy the GT?
I don't know.
Anders
Geneva
Switzerland

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 0-90 speed on the GT is very good. This is a popular speed in a street/highway run. The Viper must have just went into third at that speed. Im suprised the GT didn't do better in the lower speed brackets with the front to rear weight balance it has. This tells me that the Viper would blow it away if it could be made to hook up better, and if it could the overall numbers would have been very different. The GT is so much at it's limit compared to the Viper, nice car though. I can't see the price. The SRT has a killer look, and that alone will be hard to top.

Skip White

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala