High performance driving school recommendation

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering doing a multi-day high performance driving school this year using the schools cars. Those of you that have done this, which ones would you recommend using criteria such as:
1) value for the money
2) fun factor
3) nearby accomodations

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check into the Skip Barber driving school. They will put you in a race car and teach you how to drive fast. Being in Colorado I'm not sure how close you will find a track. I know they have schools in Cal and Arizona

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've attended the Bertil Roos school both the 3 and 2 day (SCCA Qual). Great personal instruction. Experienced racers. F 2000 Race cars; Volvo Slide Cars. They run at Virginia International Raceway and Pocono. Check out their website. http://www.racenow.com/home.htm

Woodhouse is also sponsoring a "school" in May ask Bill Pemberton for details. You can also check with Robert or Carlos at racingschools.com. They ran the Woodhouse events I've attended or registered for and have a large cross section of other schools.

I started racing in my teens then forgot it all :D ...these schools, whichever one you choose, will make you a better driver. Goodluck.

Paul :usa:

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did Skip Barber Formula Ford. First day you are in a car. I thought it would be mostly chit-chat but you get to thrash around, hit walls. Plus one of the instructors tood me out in his hopped up Mistubishi Elcipse on the track. Its a fun bunch.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip Barber gives Dodge Viper owners a 25% discount.

Cudaman :usa:

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the goal?

I've been to Jim Russell (Formula Ford), Skip Barber (Vipers), and Terry Ives (karting) schools.

In terms of fun per dollar, karting is by far the best. Karts also teach you to manage the rear end of the car. That comes in handy when you start pushing the Viper.

Formula cars are fun, and a good way to learn the line, shifting and braking. But, they don't handle like a Viper.

Barber's Viper course does not allow near enough time in the Viper to really get comfortable with the limits.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperDays does a great job. Afterwards you just need to keep getting as much track time as possible. Join an open track club.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Days does not have school cars. Although you can rent some vipers i am sure.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the Skip Barber school and it was a blast. I live on the east coast, but decided to take the course at Laguna Seca because I love Monterey, CA and I love that track.

------------------
2000 Black RT/10
Heffner 1000SCi 843 rwhp 792 rwtq 10.20 ET @ 141 MPH
Heffner Performance - Home of the World's First 9-second supercharged Viper!

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will echo the Viper Days recomendations. I do not see how attending a school that teaches with low powered FF or FR cars can help a lot with the Viper. Sure some of the techniques will cross over, but for the most part to learn to drive the Viper you need to drive one. Train as you live, Live as you train.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong - go with your gut, you will have a great time.
I've done Russell, Skip Barber, Viper Days, open tracking - if its got a gas pedal and you can point it where you want it to go its all great fun and you will learn, learn, learn.

I have found the open track stuff really suits me so the street Viper is up for sale - do what turns you on and enjoy it - life is short!
Gavin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper