Has anyone actually built or rebuilt their own viper engine?

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You definitely could do it yourself. It's just a typical pushrod engine. I would lean towards experience though, Viper tuners know many tricks of the trade.

-Lou

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done it myself a few times on a couple of different Vipers. Very easy car to work on. Buy yourself a shop manual with torque specs and you are good to go.

OP
OP
G

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP, Fishtail, and Marc...

Thanks, it seems that for the number of members on the Alley, very few talk about doing their own wrenching. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy the heck out of working on my own motor.

Go Fast.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP, Fishtail, and Marc...

Thanks, it seems that for the number of members on the Alley, very few talk about doing their own wrenching. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy the heck out of working on my own motor.

Go Fast.

I'm gonna leave that one alone......

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Has anyone actually built or rebuilt their own viper engine?"

I may be way off base here but when you ask the above question, it makes me think that you might not have much engine building experience.

If that is the case, I'd not start out the learning experience on a Viper engine.
It's not that the V10 is hard to work on, it's more a question of the cost of your possible "first rebuild" mistakes.

There's more to it than just bolting this to that in proper sequence, not a whole lot more but there are things that can be done wrong and lead to big problems.

If you have no engine building experience, get someone to help you with it, perhaps a local VCA guy.

OP
OP
G

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakebit- thanks, I didn't realize how bad that sounded until I reread the post.

Joe17- I don't know what would lead you to the conclusion that I have no experience building engines-- I do.

Regardless, This is my first exposure to Vipers. The VCA web site had been very informative. (For those interested, I just paid my $100 but do not have my membership # yet.) As I read through the posts, it seems odd that not more people talk about building or working on their engines themselves.

I don't know about the rest of you, but as an exectitve, I sit at my desk most of the day. I really enjoy working on mechanical things when I get done with my work day.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I just figured that anyone with engine building experience would not see the Viper V10 as being anything special when it comes to an ordinary rebuild and wouldn't be asking if anyone had ever done their own work on it.

I read things into the question that weren't there.
Again, sorry about my mistake.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on, Joe. You were being helpful. I think the exectitve (sic) should go for it and post his progress!

:2tu:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go Fast, don't be askeered. It's just an engine. The only drawback is if you mess up it can be really spendy!!!!! So if ya don't screw up you should get alot of enjoyment out of it. :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth