Side exhaust pipe covers with rear exhaust pipes ???

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a rear exhaust GTS viper with side exhaust covers, I have heard their is someone who is in the club who has their rear exhaust shortened and tucted and also shows side exhaust covers, I like the side exhaust look but the rear sound, any pictures around or info?

FLX109

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a set up for a customer on a GTS ... I used side exhaust sills and welded on a flange at the side port with a aluminum cover to block off when he is not at the track. He can use side exhaust or cap it off and it will be rear exit for normal every day driving. I tested it on a dyno and the car made 8 rwhp and 11 rwtq more with the caps off...I never knew how restrictive the rear muffler really was. It is odd to see with both, but the customer wanted a quiet car for daily driving and a little edge at the track. I want side exhaust for my car, but I don't want my rear fascia left open. Autoform sells a filler panel, but I am afraid you would be able to see a seam after it was blended in...it is tough to patch something that size. I am not sure if a RT 10 rear fascia will fit on the back of a GTS...if it would I would change to side exhaust in a second. If you want, I will try to get a pic from Tom and get it to you. Hope that helps.
Later,
Joe

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, pictures please!

I was thinking the exact same thing. Although I would want the rear tips to be pointed down and cover up the facia opening.

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sidepipe_2_.jpg
viper3.jpg

Pictures from Joe

FLX

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I've often wondered if the area in the side sills would be big enough to accomodate one of the electric exhaust cut-outs? That way you could have the quiet ride and wide open side pipes at the flick of a switch at the same time.

274QTECdisplay.jpg

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
93gtsconcept2.jpg

Here's a concept picture I found with both the sidepipes and rear exhaust
don't look bad

FLX109

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Here's a concept picture I found with both the sidepipes and rear exhaust
don't look bad"

Forget not looking bad. It looks BADASS! Once I get my car, I'm definitely getting the conversion done. Thanks for the pic. That absolutely eliminated any doubt I had about the conversion.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've often wondered if the area in the side sills would be big enough to accomodate one of the electric exhaust cut-outs? That way you could have the quiet ride and wide open side pipes at the flick of a switch at the same time.

Rocket,

Where did you find this set up? What size are the openings?

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DSC01741.jpg

Here is that filler panel for the rear exhaust cutout, I think they also will paint it for you, I already bought my sidepipe covers, now I need a rear muffler delete X-pipe that is shortened, with pipes facing down so they are hidden, does anyone know of someone that can make me a pipe like this?

FLX109

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you are on the topic I figured to let you know that I have a pair of used GEN 1 side sills that I have listed on the classifieds section:

http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_classifieds_parts.htm (Ad Number: 4985)

They are off my car and they are in good shape (not excellent). A good body shop can make them look like new!

If you are interested send me an email with your offer.

Thank you for your time.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the link to the web site:

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/qtec.htm

Newport ... It would be a lot of fun to watch a ricer soil his pants when you opened up the exhaust ... maybe you could point the tips up a little for added effect!

I did not have a good experience with quicktimeperformance. Bought two electric cutouts from them, only one worked properly. The other leaks badly. Several attempts to get them to fix it went without any effort on their part. They told me to put RTV on it. :mad:

:usa: