VOI 8 cost to attend?

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having never attended a VOI event, I was wondering what the involved expenses are? Is it just travel there and back + lodging or is there more? Any ideas what I need to budget for the VOI 8 event? Yes I am anal about budgeting ;-)

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VOI 7 was $600 per person plus hotel. Should be similar this year. This does include all meals, entertainment, a couple open bars, gifts / goodie bags, track and autocross time, etc.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double the $600 plus a little, and you get the picture of the cost per person. But it is very much worth it --- kind of like a 3 day car show.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What fraction of people attend w/o their car? I'd love to go, but can't fathom driving the 1600 miles there and back. I would probably drive if it were 1000 or less.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The purpose of a Viper Owners Invitational is to attend with your Viper. I don't have a figure, but I'd guess less than 10 percent attend Viperless. Many of the activities involving driving your car -- autocross, on-track, road rally. This isn't to say you won't have fun without your Viper.

Dodge usually subsidizes shipping by Reliable, so that becomes a somewhat affordable option.

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fiorano,

Ron, myself and several others drove to Nashville two years ago. It was a lot of fun and not that bad of a drive, while Dallas is farther, after seeing all of the guys that drove from the New England and Canada and met up with us enroute to Nashville, I think that I would drive to Dallas.

As Ron said, if you are not inclined to drive the other two options are to tow it yourself or have it shipped via Reliable, I too would not attend Viperless as it gives up too much of the experience.

Jim

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double the $600 plus a little, and you get the picture of the cost per person. But it is very much worth it --- kind of like a 3 day car show.

Whoa! Are you serious that it'll cost $1200 per person to attend not including the hotel?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whoa! Are you serious that it'll cost $1200 per person to attend not including the hotel?
Can be. I remember paying $700 for VOI 7. I bet it is $800 this time around. The hotel typically cost $125-$150 per night.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fiorano,

Yes, I will drive my Viper to VOI8. You can expect a pretty large contingent of drivers from points East.

To second what Frank says, this is not a free ride. You will get your $600-700 worth from Dodge at VOI8. However, your room at the host hotel will probably cost you $160-200 per night, and you'll need at least 4 nights stay. Whether you think that room is worth that cost is another story. While you *could* stay somewhere else, you really want to stay at the host hotel. Besides, you really wouldn't save that much money. Getting yourself, your Viper, and significant other (not necessarily in that order) to Dallas is on your dime. Dodge helps out by subsidizing the Reliable transport -- without their help the transport cost would be double. I think in 1999 the Reliable transport from northern Virginia to Las Vegas for VOI5 was $650 each way. Not bad for a 2400-mile trip. (I drove to Vegas then as part of a 10-Viper convoy with some diehards from the Tennessee and Arkansas clubs.) If you drive or tow, you've got fuel costs, and, of course, food and lodging on the way both directions. You can do the math. But I don't think it will cost any more than a comparable stay at a nice resort.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I attended VOI 7 without my Viper and had a great time. Of course I was surrounded by friends who I could buddy up with!

Now that VOI 8 is in Dallas this year, I'll have no excuses not to drive!! :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think my total cost for VOI7 was about 2500, including entry, food, hotel, and gas. 2500 for "Life Changing" week? DEFINATLY worth it.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Wife and I went and the bill was $7,000.00.
$2K to ship the car to and from CA.
Air fair.
A room at the Grand ol' oprey hotel for 7 nights.
A rental car for 2 days. (we stayed over but had to get the Viper back to reliable)
A few meals at the Waffle house and the ******* Barrel.
This time we will able to trailer the Viper behind the Motor home. It should be around $3K.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to split the Hotel cost by sharing a room. So the trip came in around $1000.00 - Helped guide the Canadians through to TN, Driving was half the fun.

Jcoopacr2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VOI7 cost was $700. per person plus I think $165 per night at Opra Motel. Plus souvineers and Viper wearables. (Ispent 500 bucks here).I drove from N.C.and I plan to Drive to Dallas.I would not go without my baby. Can't wait!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The latter number includes the hotel. The event registration (the $600/$700 number) this year may be less as there is discussion of eliminating the open bars (and go to cash bars)..... The open bars are by far the most expensive items of the event for Dodge. Last year at the Wildhorse (?) Saloon.... the attendees drank the bar completely out of booze!

If you live for open bars at VOI, you may want to make your opinion known in here.

Staying at the event hotel is nice as much of the event centers around it.... but it is not a requirement. The event is more fun if you bring your car, but a blast W/O it too. Bus's are provided for those W/O cars for the tours. It is a VERY social event.... I usually lose my voice by the end of the second day.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The latter number includes the hotel. The event registration (the $600/$700 number) this year may be less as there is discussion of eliminating the open bars (and go to cash bars)..... The open bars are by far the most expensive items of the event for Dodge. Last year at the Wildhorse (?) Saloon.... the attendees drank the bar completely out of booze!

If you live for open bars at VOI, you may want to make your opinion known in here.

Hey maybe the Dodge banners will hang around a little longer without the unlimited booze!!!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And for you cheapos (like me), you can indeed skimp on the hotel if you wish. In Nashville I stayed across the street from the Opryland at a decent motel for $45 a night. Parked my GTS with the rest of the Vipers and walked to my motel. Nice place and just as comfortable.

Of course the wife stayed home for that one, so I suspect I won't be able to get away with El Cheapo in Dallas with my lovely bride at my side...

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my total cost for VOI7 was about 2500, including entry, food, hotel, and gas. 2500 for "Life Changing" week? DEFINATLY worth it.

What makes this a 'life changing event?' Sure I would love to go but for that kind of $$$ I can spend a week in Jamaica!

So please fill me in-what is so special about it? How much track time is there?

Thanks

Bill

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has the information package been sent out yet? If not, does anyone know when we will be able to sign up?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What makes this a 'life changing event?' Sure I would love to go but for that kind of $$$ I can spend a week in Jamaica!

So please fill me in-what is so special about it? How much track time is there?

You can get roughly a day and a half of some pretty decent track time. Add Viper Days on the end and you get a couple more. However, that is not what VOI 8 is all about. The big deal about a VOI is the atmosphere and camaraderie.

Look at it this way, most of us don't belong to the boy scouts anymore and there is no big jamboree to attend. Most of us probably don't go to many social gatherings unless it might be a business convention where we might have our trade in common - and that is usually the last thing you want to talk about for three days anyway. VOI throws roughly 1500 people together from all walks of life. They all share one thing in particular, and that is their love of the Dodge Viper. Add some heavy partying, a nice cruise, good track time in every venue (drag racing, autocross, road course), trophy wives (and girlfriends) trying to outdo one another, good meals, good entertainment, and more partying - and you have yourself a serious cocktail with no hangover. You will drink more than you have since college (luxury coach buses will drive you around for your various partying needs - free), you will laugh harder than you have in years, and you will meet more new friends than you could imagine.

Jamaica is awesome and generally less expensive, but you simply can't get all this wrapped up in such a tidy little package called the VOI.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a reminder...VCA members get the invitation, and all information, in a packet prior to the general viper owners.
I'm gonna go just to pick up my street coupe certificate. (wishfull thinking).

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe that any information other than the date and location has been released yet. Your regional VCA presidents usually receive information to distribute to the members as well, and so far all we have received is a packet of information on the hotel itself - no pricing for that either. I suspect all the details will be released VERY soon. I know that they had targeted March 5th for the event website to go live (voi8.com), so they are obviously running a little bit behind. Stay tuned!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper