Mysterious Water Leak!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that any time my car comes in contact with water, whether it be rain or washing it, I get a floor full of water. It's not a ton, but it feels about like I poured a cup or so in the driver's side floorboard. I have no clue where it comes in! I'm pretty sure it's not the window. Any ideas? Has anyone ever had this problem?

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's usually the rubber around the doors or windows. Search previous threads. It was a problem with many pre-2001 cars.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually is -- look for kinks or crimps -- or cracks. Sometimes hard to find without having someone sit in car and look while someone else runs a hose outside. Some guys have been successful in getting this handled via warranty.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey big carrot. i had that problem and got it fixed. everytime it rained or washed the car both sides on the floor would be soaked. took it to the the dealer and they said that the door hinges were off track from placing arms out the window. this caused the doors to go lower. they raised the door at the hinges back up and solved the problem. the water used to come right over the door speaker and onto the floor.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big carrot, I left mine in the rain one night, had a floor full of water on the passenger side. I took it to the dealer and they that it was leaking around the cowl.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not just a problem with earlier cars. My 99 leaked. My 02 leaked. MY SRT LEAKS! Same wet passenger floorboard. Don't they have a hurricane booth at Conner Ave???

OP
OP
B

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, I don't think the hinges are off, at least they don't appear to be. I'll just have to get someone to hit it with a hose while I sit in the car.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big C,

Many Vipers leak. What you describe is most likely the windshield below the plastic windshield cowling. You can seal this with silicone RTV.

If the side windows are leaking this would be obvious, you get water in the seat. Have someone sit in there and try to make them wet with a garden hose. Most Vipers will leak with a pressure hose against the side windows.

If your windshield is leaking, it will drip from the removable knee bolster under the dash. There is so much crap up under there that it is hard to see. Usually it will be wet in the center of the carpet and towards the side sill. Very common.

The other place Vipers leak is in the door speaker. Behind the door panel is plastic sheeting. If your door panels have been off or aftermarket speakers in place, then the plastic may have been cut and water is actually coming in from behind the door panel. If this is the case then it will be wet primarily near the side sill.