What Could Replace Your Viper???

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't replace the Snake myself.

BUT...in theory, if I had to, I'd go for one of the following. Just as a replacement for the thrill that is the Viper...

- 360 Modena
- 996tt
- Ford GT

LoBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing within 100k is even close....

SRT-----ugly(in my opinion)
Diablo----matches the Vipers sex appeal...but the repair costs not to mention major service every 10k miles
360/Ford GT----Maybe.....for an extra 100k+ over a GTS
911tt---close in performance....but the looks--Blahh

Rarity.... Increadible performance... reliability... looks... price... Forget about it......

GTS ACR was/is the pinnicle...

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a succession of performance cars over the years, my wife asked "What's next?", and it has come to my mind that there just isn't another car with the unique blend of style, performance, usability, and reliability as the Viper.

Certainly I would trade up to a Porsche Carrera GT. :)

But I'd need someone else to pony up the extra $350K+, and realistically I'm not sure if I could justify spending that much money on a single car.

Used Ferraris and Lambos have a great exotic style like the Viper, but they are costly to maintain, and iffy to drive regularly. Plus you would take a huge hit in resale value if you put 50K miles on a 355. The Ferrari 360s are pricey, I don't like the styling as much as the 355, and they aren't that much quicker.

I like the SRT-10 Viper (especially being a full convertible) but it is more money, and the style is not as wild and seductive as with the earlier Vipers.

Porsches are speedy cars that you can drive daily, but they are fairly commonplace around here, and the fast ones are pricey too.

The Ford GT is beautiful, but dealers and auto-scalpers will be adding $$$ to the price for the long list of buyers who don't care how much it costs. :(

The new C6 Corvette is nice (especially with the C6 Z06's promise of 500HP and 3100lbs), but they will be all over the streets once released.

So I'm happily stuck, and I've figured out that if I get the unavoidable urge to upgrade, it will likely be in the form of adding a supercharger, halfshafts, a rollbar, and Stoptech brakes. :laugh:

-Dean.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Countach
2) Grand Sport (-63 Vette) Kit body with tubular frame, C-4 Suspension & a huge big block.
3) A newer Viper, but not a 2003 and up, unless it comes in a Coupe.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Although I love my viper..why make that decision ..WHY NOT STABLEMATES! Thats what I did...although my DLM Beast will keep its stable mate in line!! LOL
207scan0006-med.jpg

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello fellas,
I had an intresting email yesterday. A guy asked me how much I wanted for my GTS. I asked him how he found the car. Turns out he was looking through a dupont registry and read a link to my site where I was hosting some pics of a renntech mercedes. He said I saw the CLK but I am more interested in the Viper. To make a long story short he asked for a price like the car sits and I came up with one. He's going to call back later this week.

Now he may be full of it, but it got me thinking what in the hell would I replace that car with. O.K. so lets go down the list of replacements.

SRT-10,(+$20k)
Very performance oriented, but I am still undecided on the looks, and there goes my twin turbo money.

Porsche 993tt,(+$15k)
Beautiful car and among my favorite porsches but starting to look a little dated to me. Plus it would be very difficult to match the viper performance.

Porsche996tt,(+$30k)
Good looking car, very nice interior, cost to performance ratio is really high, kinda blends in with the other 996's.

Ferarri 355,(+$20k)
I love the looks of this car but I think it would leave me wanting the vipers right pedal.

Older Diablo,(+$50k)
Slow by comparison, over priced, and the looks are incredible but may be a little over the top for the real world.

There are a couple of others but these are the few that would be realistic for me. It got me thinking, For what I like in a car the GTS seems to have it all, and if I did sell it I would probably want another GTS.

If you were faced with selling your viper what could you replace it with if anything?

If you find a 993 turbo for only $15,000 more than the trade-in value of your Viper, let me know (of course I might be too busy to do anything about it, since I will be occupied taking pictures of all the flying pigs that suddenly appear).

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"If you find a 993 turbo for only $15,000 more than the trade-in value of your Viper, let me know"

Kid,
Who said anything about trade in? Maybe you should fully read the post before responding. The price discussed for my GTS was $60k. Add $15k to that and you have $75k. You can pick up a 96 993tt for that price. Thanks for your input.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought we were talking about realistic resale prices. My bad. By the way, a '96 993 turbo for $75,000 will likely have a few more miles than your GTS. '96-97 993's are some of the strongest Porsches in terms of resale value.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kid,

I don't know where you are looking, but the '96-'97 911 Turbos are easily available for under $75K with less than 50K miles, and a quick scan of Autotrader brought up a few under $70K with mileage in the low 20K mileage range.
With a nice looking '96/993TT for $58,500 with 43K miles. :laugh:

I actually like the looks of the 993TT better than the 996TT, but Porsches are unfortunately fairly commonplace here, and you can't tell the real 911 Turbo Porsches from the many rebodied 70s 911Es with a turbo body kits on the road. :eek:

-Dean.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around her there are thousands of Porsches but it is always easy to tell the turbos from the non turbos. The turbos are always driven by blue haired guys in their 60's! :laugh:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I know no one believes me on this one, but no amount of money or any car on the road would get me to turn over my baby. I've put too much heart into her.

I will admit, the more I read/see about this "Koenigsegg" the more I like it. Should I ever get *that* successful it might be the only car I would drive instead of the viper - but only during weekdays.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a new, faster "Egg" coming out soon that will be shown at the Geneva car show next month, and it promises to be even faster than the CCS8. Unfortunately, it will probably cost more than the current $400K egg does too. :eek:

And all for similar performance to a supercharged Viper. :eek:

Hmmmm :2tu:

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of those prices look really out of whack on that inventory list (and I did notice some were Euro).

Chad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave