96 Viper R/T 10 New Owner Questions

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry. Let's try again. 96 RT 10. Black with Silver stripes. Questions:

1. Can I go to any Dodge Dealer to determine who did the 998 999 recall work, assuming it was done?

2. The gearing was changed to reduce torque in the low end. I don't know the ratios. Assuming this was a standard changeout in 96 to reduce stress on drive train and increase mileage, what is the likely gear change, and how much faster will the car be traveling at 65 indicated than the speedo states?

3. The car had 8200 miles in 02 (I drove it then, and checked Carfax). In 04 it had 8800. I've driven a careful 300 miles plus since buying it, and other than some smoke on start up, that disappeared, I don't notice leaks on the garage floor. Dealer reportedly changed the oil once per year, and the battery recently. Should I let it go for a couple of thousand miles, or take it in and have all the fluids replaced now? Car seems to run fine.

4. How much for a dealer changeout to go back to stock gearing?

5. This car has the Gen II aluminum rear suspension, and the rear exit pipes.
I'd like to cool the sills (high flow catalytic converters?) and pick up the low end torque a bit more. Suggested mods, and an idea of prices if done by dealer?

6. Is it possible to get an extended warranty on a vehicle placed in service in 96, but with only 9200 miles on it now?

7. I'm in San Jose, California. Anyone know of very good mechanics for the Viper out this way?

Thanks very much. I'm working my way through the FAQs and historical comments, and considering joining the NorCal Viper group.

Larry
96 Viper RT/10
Black w/Silver Stripes
:usa:

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE...,
1. You can determine if the recall has been done yourself; I an sending you an email with pictures of what to look for from my car.

2.If the rear end ratio has been changed, chances are it is a 3:55. Here is a gear chart site, so you can determine what you have. Go drive 60 mph in 4th gear, and record your RPM, then go to this chart.
http://chuckware.net/viper/gears.asp
Click "Set Manual", then "Show Gear Chart"
You can change the rear end ratio, i.e. to 3.55 or anything. Match 60 mph with the RPM in 4th gear.

3. Replace ALL the fluids, including and especially the brake fluid.

4. Don't know.

5. High flow cats and Corsa Cat back exhaust system.
Jon B. at Parts Rack 360-837-3937

6. Not sure, do a search on this forum, Call Chuck Tator- Dodge.

7. Contact the Viper Club and get contacts in the area.
CLUB MEMBERS, contact Larry.

Later,

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recall is for all Gen 2 (GTS & RT/10). The 96 is a Gen 2 frame and suspension. Not sure what year it stops - 99, 2000, 2001, ....
Later,

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1)They 96 RT/10 was included in the recall(we have the gen II suspension). Any dealer should have it in their data base if the work was done or look at the pictures that you get and compare.

2) you sure you don't mean higher numbers(lower gearing)? I have 3.73's in my 96 and love them.

3)replace them all

4)maybe $1200

5)Kalifornia does not allow to cut cats out, so a couple of Sean Roe high flow cats will do the trick.

6)good luck on that one.

7)Get ahold of Tomer(name on this board). He is in your area and they have a real good Viper Tech in Danville I think. VPRVENM97 is in San Jose too, look for him as well. Very unique car, nice.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
carguyo7,
Yes, and is definitely included in the recall. I had mine done last year (actually 2002), and as I said earlier, I tried to email pictures to RE...., but wouldn't go.

Later,

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please send an e-mail to me at [email protected]

There is some trouble with my configuration on my homne machine.

I appreciate the responses and the help. I am cheerfully accepting all advice and help.

Took the car to work today. Amazing how much attention these cars get.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REInvestments,

Welcome to Viper Nation! Give Ted May a call at Valaya Racing. Ted's the local Viper Guru, he'll answer all your Viper questions and get you set up. You're gonna have a blast in your new ride! :cool:

Valaya Racing
1854 Almaden Road
San Jose, CA 95125
408-448-8811

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REINVESTMENTS WELCOME, you'll find plenty of help here..

first of all..our cars had gen 2 suspension so you will have recall info..any dealer can check with vin if performed by reputable dealer. You are still eligible for purxhase of extended warranty..call chcuk tator and join vca..you'll get big discounts from vendors..chuck tator...914-763-3136

However your biggest thing is to get head gaskets upgraded ..this is not a maybe but a definite issue with these year cars..get warranty and then its free otherwise your looking at a $1500 job..

PS..YOU PICKED THE BEST COLOR COMBO..BACK N BLACK BABY! :2tu:

Adam

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the references. I'll call both, as well as my local dealer to see if the recall work has been done.

Yes, I do like the black in the RT/10 in the Gen I body style. I like the Red and the Silver in the SRT.

When I figure out the digital camera stuff, I'll get a photo, although it looks just like each of the stock black with silver stripe models you've already seen. : - )

Thanks again,
Larry

:2tu: :usa: :usa:

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don:

Thank you, I did get the photos and I sent you a PM. I also called my local Dodge dealer who said the 96 RT/10 didn't get the 999 recall, just the 998, and that my car doesn't show any outstanding recalls.

I also left a message for Ted May to call me when he returns next Tuesday (ski week out here) and I'll go by and make his acquaintance.

I also placed a call to Chuck Tator, but he won't be back until after March 1.

And it's raining here, and I'm too lazy to bolt back on the [******] aftermarket top, or windows, so the car cover is on, and the Viper's in the garage.

Next up will be what to replace the original tires with. They have plenty of tread, but they are awfully old.

Any reason not to leave the 17 inch wheels on? I don't perceive any problems with traction or handling in the brief time I've owned it.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires:
The 17 inch wheels and tires ARE fine. The tires you have, Michelin MXX3 (I think) and no longer made as I understand, and the replacement Michelin Pilot Sports are very costly as opposed to the 18" Pilot Sports. You can get some tire "stuff" to soften the rubber on the old, hard tires. I still have my 17 " with MXX3 tires, which are quite hard. Traction is definitely better with the Pilot Sports.

Later,

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry, welcome to the club :2tu: You definitely should join the VCA!

Looks like most your Q's have been answered, CONGRATS and great choice in a 96 RT/10....

Ted at Valaya Racing is highly rated, I recently moved to the Peninsula, so if you want to know what a 96 RT sounds like with HIGH FLOW cats and Corsa Cat backs, JUST let me know...In fact, I'll pm you and give you my cell #...I always need an excuse to go warm up the snake!!!

I am sure there are closer alternatives, but since I used to live in the East Bay, and I have an ext warranty, I use John at Dublin DOdge for all warranty work/messy routine maintenance...Hope he does not read that...I was too lazy to change my own tranny and diff fluid, not to mention the fuel filter...So had them do it. He also does an awesome job on recall work (I can fill you in on that) and we can easlily compare cars and see if your recall work is done (mine is done)...John is teh only Viper certified tech at Dublin Dodge, and they go out of their way to treat the Vipers right...The head of the Service dept is a bow tie guy, but a real motor head, racer, and loves the VIper stuff (although he will assure you his street Chevelle will out run the Viper)...

again :2tu:

Tomer

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry,
Take TOMER up on his offer to get together; we have had conversations in the past, and he can show you the ropes; plus the sound of his car with Corsa exhaust. Even though you have a black Viper, he won't hold that against you.
Later,

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just rattled off an e-mail with my contact info to Tomer, and it looks as though I will be joining.

I've read lots about the car before buying it, but nothing substitutes for talking to actual owners. One buddy who owned a 96 GTS moved to a 2002 Ferrari S360 Spyder, and the other one sold his car to me. So I'm looking for some Viper people locally.

Is it as hard as it looks to carry the windows and top in the trunk and put it all on if it starts to rain? I can't take the hardtop with me ( I used the name last time, but it was blanked out on the post ) and the soft top doesn't look like any fun.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....I always need an excuse to go warm up the snake!!!

:2tu:

Tomer

Tomer! How's it going? When do you ever need an excuse? Lets make it happen after the rain stops. REInvestments, when it dries up, you up for a cruise?

Tomer, start working on that kitchen pass right now. :2tu:

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave and Tomer:

I am absolutely up for a cruise as soon as the rain stops.
Tomer you have my contact info. Dave, send an e-mail to [email protected] and I'll send you my contact info.

Next question. Who has done the Skip Barber Viper only class, and do they provide the cars or do you use your own.
If the latter, does the RT/10 qualify without a roll bar?

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hry, you guys aren't planning to have a get together without me, are ya?! Got to wait until I get back to town :D

Mike,

Sorry man, that was rude of us. ;) Ok, we'll wait til you get back into town. In the mean time, we'll just keep our Vipers parked in the garage after washing them with Evian water and Zaino-ing them every half hour......Nottttttttttt! :D

Hey, we'll send you pics! How's that? Whens you next visit to the People's Republik of Kalifonia? Well have to get something going when you're out here.

REInvestments, you've got mail.

You all might as well drive up the coast to Seattle, and well all get together.
Later,

Don, now there's a thought. Is it raining up there? We're looking at another week of rain down here.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, Right now (Sat. 11:15am) it is SUNNY, cool (50-51 deg.), same for tomorrow, then rain forecast for all next week. Oh well, maybe later in the spring.
We should have a west coast '96 RT/10 get together; sorry Dave.
Later,

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Change) West Coast Get Together?

Hmmmm..... I was giving some thought to taking the Vipers only Skip Barber driving course at Laguna Seca (Monterey, California) later this year. I'll have to check the events listing on when that is. If we'd like to do a West Coast get together, I wonder if that might make a decent target destination, and event for a gathering. This is just some rudimentary thinking out loud. I haven't done any research at all at this point. Wonder if we might get some buying power on the cost if we did the course as a group?

Thoughts, anyone

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should have a west coast '96 RT/10 get together; sorry Dave.
Later,

Bastages!!! :mad: I'm only a Sawzall away from being an RT/10. :D

REInvestments,

The Viper Club/Skip Barber Driving School is Friday 4/2/04 at Laguna Seca but from last I heard its sold out. Maybe they'll put on another one later on this year. Its $598 with the 25% VCA discount. I've never been to it but from the NorCal VCA newsletter, "once you learn the basics, you'll be driving the school's Vipers." "Skip Barber tailors the class to give you more seat time in the Vipers then their normal classes.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave:

I'm having trouble catching up with myself. Just got the car a couple of weeks ago, although I drove it a few hundred miles in 2002, and it belonged to a buddy. I immersed myself in reading materials on the car before buying it, for what appears to be too much money based on what I've been reading here, but it is in beautiful condition, from appearances.

I saw the Skip Barber Vipers intensive class but didn't look into it yet. The idea of a west coast get together arose in the middle of this thread, and I was just throwing out an idea. I'm going to take the Skip Barber course in any event, so if it's sold out in April, I'll catch it later in the year. Actually, I'd prefer Sears Point to Laguna anyway, based on my motorcycle racing class. I'm not that big a fan of turn 9 at Laguna or the corkscrew, in a tail spin happy vehicle.

Anybody else have any experience with the Skip Barber course already. And why do my references to the company that starts with an "H" and made my after market roof and windows get starred out? Not that I mind, I'm just curious as to whether it is from bad experiences, or it's too commercial.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, you guys aren't planning to have a get together without me, are ya?! Got to wait until I get back to town :D

Mike,

Sorry man, that was rude of us. ;) Ok, we'll wait til you get back into town. In the mean time, we'll just keep our Vipers parked in the garage after washing them with Evian water and Zaino-ing them every half hour......Nottttttttttt! :D

Hey, we'll send you pics! How's that? Whens you next visit to the People's Republik of Kalifonia? Well have to get something going when you're out here.
Young man, you'll do as your told :D . Hey Dave, did the Roe find it's way on to your car?

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave, did the Roe find it's way on to your car?

Negatory. It was sitting in the box in the garage so I figured it would better serve the Viper community under a hood as opposed to in the box. I sold it to someone who actually installed it.