How fast have you been in your Viper

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All, I was wondering if you guys feel comfortable driving you Vipers at
a high rate of speed.I just recently bought my first but I am still waiting for it to get shipped so I was wondeing if the car feels in control when going say.. 100mph or above.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my GTS, w/the windows up, 120 seems like 70; barely revving 2600rpm. 100 in 4th gear is incredible; 3rd is better.
I have a Bearcat Scanner and a Val.1 for "safety" purposes.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When I did 170, it was rock solid, stable. Except for the wind noise, and tire noise, it wasn't really all that different from going 100.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRVTJET:
187!!!!!
187!!!!!
ON THE STREET????
I will shine your shoes man. I'm not worthy.
(It's the graphite that makes the difference.)

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to sound too much like a newb, but isn't annyone worried at that speed? Or maybe even a bit scared? I wouldn't be freaking out but at that speed, you gotta be thinking, "one hard bump and it's hello Saint Peter...lol"

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Francisco, you're forgetting one major factor - it's a VIPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
172 in the RT/10. Above 150 it is a noticeably light in the rear.

Haven't pushed the SRT yet only in the 140-150 range. Come on summer!

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....I saw the speedo pass 175....didn't look at it anymore.....'02 ACR....deserted stretch of I-70 at dusk......only car I saw was a van I passed.....figured I was going at least 100mph FASTER than him.......have been in the 150-160 range many times in various Vipers....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best way to find out is at the Silver State classic, where you can cruise legally on highway up to 165 mph with some installed safety equipment, and a little experience.
The Viper (96 GTS) was extremely capable with excellent power and suspension. Cars windows sucked out at +150 supprising driver and passenger. (What HAPPENED!!), but otherwise those speeds are uneventful.
Car began to feel slightly lighter at those speeds, but no great concerns beyond the obvious.
A well serviced car, with the best tires possible, will add to confidence.
(Some Vipers have exceeded 200 mph!!!)
More info at the Silver State Classic link from this site.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only had mine for 2 driveable months so far (bought it in October)

Fastest I got it so far was about 125 trying to keep up with some of you guys
on 87 North to Orange County Choppers :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, just what I wanted to hear. I just bought a 97 GTS and cant wait to get it. Thanks for all the replys.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only time my window popped was in the '02, and that was at about 150. I was told you can adjust the window to go a little higher so it won't pop like that.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the snake only 160.. so far! It's bizzare after driving that fast and you slow back down to about 85, you feel like you can just step out of the car because your going so 'slow'. Car felt great and had plently more to go.

I had a '93 Vet that had the SCV volume control that I had up to 168. Funny thing is at 134 I had to reach over and turn the stereo down because I thought the speakers were gonna blow! Better the speakers than a tire!

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
205 mph with 2 busa's behind me and 2 RT's doing 180mph

I didnt even realize that I was going that fast until I looked down after a mile and half of full throttle and said that is enough.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
135 mph in a 390hp, 1977 Trans Am, but that was 20 years ago... and it sucked the passenger T-Top off the car! I would have gone faster, if I hadn't lost the roof. Basically, the car really wasn't engineered for "high" speed. So I tried drag-racing for fun... after blowing apart three clutches, two transmissions, ripping the rear-end out once, and bending the frame, I figured the car just wasn't meant for drag racing either.

10 years later I tried a good 'vette, then another 10 moved on to the Viper... ** The Viper's a keeper. **

BUT, as for Viper speed... there's just no place in my area to open it up safely. Maybe I'll do the Nevada thing someday - I have plenty of time, what's the rush? (maybe I'm just getting too old)