Help.. Rear Brake Pad install

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am installing EBC greens on my 94. Front was no problem. I have read somewhere here on the forum that you can change the rears without pulling the calipers, but I sure can't figure it out. What or How is the proper means of changing the rear pads?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Pull the rear pads out (remove pin and anti-rattle spring...NOTING carefully the springs asymmetric position), then, index (mark) rotors (probably LESS important on rears) and pull them off (makes it easier to resurface them). Now, rotate rear piston CLOCKWISE til it stops using correct spanner tool...OR CAREFULLY use needlenose pliers to engage the two slots on the piston to reseat...being CAREFUL NOT to slip and lacerate dust boot. If all goes well and you do not see any evidence of fluid leak, restall rotors to marked spots, place new pads into position, put anti-rattle spring in CORRECT location, and slide pin back in making SURE that you eagage outer and inner loops of spring with pin...tap pin into final position, and reinspect carefully to be SURE.
Call me if you need more...and, if I have forgotten something, hopefully, others will jump in and correct above.

OP
OP
R

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the rear pads out (remove pin and anti-rattle spring...NOTING carefully the springs asymmetric position), then, index (mark) rotors (probably LESS important on rears) and pull them off (makes it easier to resurface them). Now, rotate rear piston CLOCKWISE til it stops using correct spanner tool...OR CAREFULLY use needlenose pliers to engage the two slots on the piston to reseat...being CAREFUL NOT to slip and lacerate dust boot. If all goes well and you do not see any evidence of fluid leak, restall rotors to marked spots, place new pads into position, put anti-rattle spring in CORRECT location, and slide pin back in making SURE that you eagage outer and inner loops of spring with pin...tap pin into final position, and reinspect carefully to be SURE.
Call me if you need more...and, if I have forgotten something, hopefully, others will jump in and correct above.

Thanks Steve for the info. The problem I am having is trying to get the rear pads out. I have removed the pin and spring but cannot move the piston in enough to get the pads out. I saw where you reference a previous post but can't get this search feature to work and find it.

OP
OP
R

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Release the parking brake!

It was released..still couldn't get pads out. I guess I will just have to pull the caliper. It seems previous owner replaced fronts and never did the rears, now I know why.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
then, index (mark) rotors (probably LESS important on rears) and pull them off (makes it easier to resurface them).

I don't understand this point... could you clarify how this step makes it easier to resurface them?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what is meant is to mark your rotors and the hub so that you can replace the rotors in the same position.

Not sure why you cannot get the pads out. They may have some corrosion or something which requires them to be tapped a bit. Once out then you can angle the rotors out (they are tight but will come out). At that point you will see the piston that needs to be turned in. Overall they are pretty straight forward. No need to remove the caliper for pad changes.

OP
OP
R

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what is meant is to mark your rotors and the hub so that you can replace the rotors in the same position.

Not sure why you cannot get the pads out. They may have some corrosion or something which requires them to be tapped a bit. Once out then you can angle the rotors out (they are tight but will come out). At that point you will see the piston that needs to be turned in. Overall they are pretty straight forward. No need to remove the caliper for pad changes.

Thanks Viper SRT I'll give it a try. I tried tapping on the pads before, maybe I just didn't tap hard enough. The pads are really worn bad and are pretty tight against the rotors, I even checked twice to make sure the parking brake wasn't on. The rotor isn't scarred or grooved amazingly, and it will make it easier to scuff with the rotors off.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Achilles99...sorry for the confusion on my wording...fortunately, Ron clarified same (thanks, Ron).

Ken, did you get the old pads out ??

OP
OP
R

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure did Steve and thanks to you and others for the info. I wound up removing the calipers. I had trouble getting the piston twisted in on the left rear and was worried about damaging it or tearing up the dust boot. Once I could get the caliper turned upside down I could get a better grip on it. That side had worn down the pads real bad, there wasn't much left of the inside pad, thank God it didn't groove or screw up the rotor. It's 72 and sunny here..removed hard top and windows and am heading out to check out the new pads. Happy Mardi Gras to all. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth