Rain Damage?

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been raining since I took the [******] top and side windows off my 96 RT/10 two weeks ago. The convertible looks like a pain, and there's no way to carry the [******] hard top. I'm thinking about taking my chances, and riding in the rain.

My question is would rain do any damage to the interior my my 96? It looks to be mostly plastic, leather and carpeting. I've used Lexol on the seats (good or bad idea?) to condition them, and I'm thinking that getting caught in a rain storm shouldn't do any damage, but I don't know?

What have your experiences been?? Oh, and I've already had the pleasure of the rear end stepping out in second gear on a slow speed turn in the wet, so I've got that lesson in place now : - ) :usa:

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't do it man...You will spend hours getting your RT cleaned up...dirt will accumulate in places you never even imagined...

RT = Sunny days...(less than a 10% chance of rain within a three state area)

Please get a coupe if you're gonna ride around in a dirty Viper... :usa:

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't do it man...You will spend hours getting your RT cleaned up...dirt will accumulate in places you never even imagined...

RT = Sunny days...(less than a 10% chance of rain within a three state area)

Please get a coupe if you're gonna ride around in a dirty Viper... :usa:

DITTO on what Snake Bitten said. Besides the seats, wet carpet isn't fun at all, not to mention water logged speakers. :(

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta just bite the bullet and keep 'er in the garage if it's gonna rain. ***** but with no top, not worth risking the long term damage that water can do

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been caught in the rain in my RT/10 w/ no windows or top!! No biggie, as long as you don't have to go under 30 mph the rain hardly gets in the car. As I said, I was "caught" in it. I would not make it a point to take it out in the rain without the top or windows. Just get a GTS for rainy days. I know, I know, the GTS isn't as purty as the RT/10, but you won't get wet. :2tu:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've done thousands of miles (to/from the midwest) in the rain with my '95, but all of that with the top on. I have gotten caught at work before without the top (I *thought* there was no rain in the forecast). But, 65k miles as a daily driver and you will have that happen.

Counter to what Birvini says, though, if you have more than a light drizzle, it will indeed be an issue to drive without the top on. Water comes over and around the windshield and drips in, water gets on the *inside* of the windshield (which is more of a problem to clear), etc. If you wear glasses (sunglasses/whatever), you'll get water on them (both sides) and makes it harder to see. All in all not very safe from a visibility standpoint.

Easy answer: just use the soft top. Thats the whole point to the RT: option of *******, as well as being better looking than the coupe.

Randy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth