what's the BEST & EASIEST way to make side sills back on tight???

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what\'s the BEST & EASIEST way to make side sills back on tight???

what's the best and easiest way to tight the side sill back on the car?? the factory screws just don't do the job anymore...............

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: what\'s the BEST & EASIEST way to make side sills back on tight???

You really only have two choices. 1. Take screw into hardware store and buy larger replacement. 2. ollow posts in the how-to section to replace with a rivit/screw type system. Seems like the real way to go.

When I replaced mine, I flattened the holes back out and use a dab of high temp-low strength sealant, and gently replaced the screws. If yours are stripped out, you only have the above options.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i had my old screws come loose and pop out all the time.Just buy a bigger screw to replace them with.
Max

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i was think about the bigger screw way too, but does that mean you gotta go bigger everything you take the sill off?? at the end you will prob using hughhhhhhhhhhhh screws, lol..............

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The best part about the screws falling out is I always find them in my rear tires. How lucky can one guy get all the time.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

VenomBlue- Trust me, go with the Nutsert System and ditch those damned sheet metal screws. (this also gives you the opportunity to use SS hardware)

Nutserts are AWESOME. machine threads in sheet metal... great concept. best thing? if you DO manage to strip them out, you just drill & replace them again...no mess.

I have replaced virtually every sheet metal screw in my car with Nutserts and SS machine hardware... door hinge covers, wheel well bracket screws, winshield molding screws, side sill screws, etc, etc...

If you want it done, let me know. takes about 8 hours to do the whole car, or 2 hours for both sidesills.

PS- I have a B&B Cat-Back sitting here that I need to get rid of, interested? no shipping, you can just pick it up/I can drop it off. I can also get you RandomTech cats if you want them, to go with it. (and install it too...)

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score

thanks dan, but i think i'm gonna go with moroso rim screws, have some on order, and i normally do all work my self, or guys work for me will do it, we got shop lifts, much easier, but by the way, thanks for the exhaust offer, my car has 550 package on it which came with full exhaust setup with cats and all other stuff on it already, so i'm all set on most performance mods for now, but just wondering how much are you sellin the B&B you got and what do you normally charge for install stuff like that???

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could i have problems with loose screws even after taking the side sills off once? Or does this happen if you take it off few times? Thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

VENOM- I highly advise AGAINST going with any type of sheet metal screw as a replacement. Trust me, from my experiance, it WILL happen again, and you can only go so big. at that point, you are out of options... can only do it twice.

If you dont want me to install them, I STILL advise you to go out and buy a Nutsert Tool, Nutserts, and SS machine screws and do it yourself. You can buy the tool at Fastenal. Not cheap, but it will get its use I am sure. One thing about Vipers... if you work on the same car often, they strip out their sheet metal fasteners like CRAZY. I personally like to cut problems off before they start, so I went to town...

I am looking to get around 1000 for the B&B, details will be posted on Ebay soon.

SBKIM- yes, it can happen the FIRST time. I had 2 stripped before I even removed them the first time! (and that was a new car)... 3 more soon follwed on the 2nd time they were off.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan - thanks! Do you have specific part number by any chance for these?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I dont know of any part numbers off the top of my head, I have always bought them by name. "Nutsert" is the commom name. You simply need the tool, the Nutserts themselves, and the correct drill bit for the nutsert. They VERY much resemble "Pop Rivents", only they have machine threads in the middle of them. I would recomend 10-32 or 24, 12-24, or 1/4-20 size for side sills, depending on how your car was drilled at the factory.

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Look under How to section,on the top of forum.Then look under side sill cover modification.I did this it works.Pro look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950