New Appreciation for People who can run in the 12's

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New Appreciation for People who can run in the 12\'s

I ran my Car (1999 RT/10, Roe 7lb S/C, Roe High Flow Cats, Borla exhaust) at the Top Gun Raceway in Fallon NV yesterday (4000 feet). It was the first time I have ever been down a 1/4-mile track. I spent most of the day learning how to not smoke the tires through the first three gears. It was great fun and I was able to get in 21 runs. All I can say is it is much easier said than done to run fast on Michelin Pilot Sports. I did feel good when one of the line guys came over towards the end of the day and stated "you're running a lot better, I didn't know if you were going to make it through the day the way you fish tailed the car down the track on that first run." The only thing I have for comparison on how I was running was 7 runs I did against a C5 Blown Vette on street tires. We could each consistently hit runs in the 12.8- 13.1 range. Even if he beat me off the line I still took him every time on top end. I friend of mine in a Mustang with a stroked 302 running a 18lb ATI Blower putting down 500 HP to the rears wheels ran a 12.2 on slicks before he shredded his serpentine belt. My best run was:

E.T. - 12.67
MPH - 120.817
Reaction .284
60 time - 2.268

I hope to make Las Vegas this next weekend, but work may prevent it

-Jim

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Appreciation for People who can run in the 12\'s

If you come to vegas I promise to get you into the 11's on street tires. It is all in discipline with the throttle and clutch. Also, track prep will also dramatically effect the times. A 2.2 60' time isn't terrible but you could do a lot better. However, if the track isn't prep at all and is more slippery than the road then maybe that is a good 60' time.

Whatever the case, you will be in the 11's in vegas with your setup.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have about 100 1/8th and 1/4 mile runs on my 300hp Acura Integra (daily driver) and consider myself a fairly good drag racer. I have yet to take my GTS down the track and probably will never do so. I hate people who say drag racing takes no skill at all, then proceed to run a 16 in their "13" second car :) .

Practice Practice Practice. Slipping the clutch and controlling your right foot in 1st and some of 2nd gear is key (especially on street tires). Keep up the practice and you'll see 11's flashing soon enough

Adam

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

seattime seattime seattime. . my best last yr with exhaust mods was 11.605 121mph and you were at 121mph so IMO, you have a mid eleven car with what you posted

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Come to Vegas. My first time at the track last year with my GTS was a 13.16 @ 117 MPH, best year to date 11.18 @ 127 MPH. Track Time,Track Time.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep, my first run in the Viper was 13.1 as well, but I shaved it down with practice that day to the low 12s.
It sounds lucky that you were able to get in 21 runs, as our tracks here are so full that we are lucky to get in 4-5 runs.

There are many subtle improvements that you can make in learning to launch the Viper, and I learned a lot watching other people drive as well, getting the best timing for the lights and playing with rear tire pressure plus revving to 2000RPM and feeding in the clutch for a better launch.

I'd say that you did very well for your first time out, and with your relatively high trap speed you will be able to shave even more time off with some added practice. :laugh:

-Dean.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim,

man you got THAT right. First run I had with about 800 at the wheels was mid 13's at 126!! I tried my BEST a couple runs later and I could only get in the high 11's at 134. I was like "***"??!! My tuner sold me a bum wrap! grrrrr. Just takes practice.. A few runs later I got deep into the 10's at almost 140MPH on street tires (Kuhmos). I KNOW I can tick off a 10.5 at 140 or 141... It's just going to take practice.

I wouldn't at ALL be suprised if you would be able to get your car in the low 11's at 124-125..

Your MPH seems aweful low, stock Vipers are doing about 116 to 118mph. Maybe it's the elevation?

Practice practice practice..

Gerald

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave