Quick consensus - Mobil 1 filter or Mopar?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Baby's getting her first oil change (from me) soon. I've seen a lot of people using the Mobil One Oil Filter - any reason to go that one over Mopar or vice versa?
Thanks.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mopar filters are the Mobil 1 filters and you can buy them by the case on E-Bay, cheap. Another such example is that the Mopar performance exhaust for Vipers is Borla.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They are NOT the same filters FYI. The Mobil 1 filter has MUCH better build quality, thicker casing, better drainback valve, and from what I can see, different internals as well. the filter medium may be the same, but the similarity ends there. Mobil 1 and K&N, are the same filters.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the same...the mopar filter is made by Wix if I am not mistaken. I am not saying the mopar is bad, but the mobil 1 is a better filter.
Later,
Joe

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SylvanSRT;

Where did you hear about the magnet? I've taken many Mobil 1 filters apart and they do not have any magnets.

The K&N is very similar to the Mobil 1, however the K&N has a different filter media that trades a bit of filtering ability for flow (sound familar?). Good news is that the tradeoff isn't nearly as great as it is in the K&N airfilter and in fact is a good alternative to the Mobil 1. K&N also has a handy nut tack welded to the bottom for easy removal.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe shouldn't say this, but both guys I talked to on the V-10 assembly line at Conner Avenue said to use the Mobil 1 filters.

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I went with the Mobil One filter and just completed the change. Nice feeling to get this done on the Viper - didn't know how long that oil had been in there! Thanks for the advice!
Now on to the brake upgrade... :2tu:

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when we did our tour of the panoz race shop last year, I was surprised to find the napa gold on thier high buck LMP car.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I also distribute a spcial HIGH END filter from another racing company, it has a removable cartridge filter section, and filters better than virtually anything else out there. Also allows for direct oil system connection through the filter. may give them a try, and report. let me know if there is any interest in this, and I may do a quick study and write-up on them.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when we did our tour of the panoz race shop last year, I was surprised to find the napa gold on thier high buck LMP car.

Is that why they've gone back to a prototype car that hasn't been used in 5 years :) ?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the "FRAM HP Racing" oil filters?

They are high flow also .....

Most filters promote thier high filtration qualities, but
I want a filter with high Flow and decent filtration..

any one use the fram hp racing filter?

bob

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FRAM is just about the worst filter you can buy...in every research peice I have ever found.

VIPERBOB- check out my Oil Filter post in the Supplier section, it may fit the bill for what you are looking for.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron i was told the circle in the bottom of the loose end of the filter(not the end that attaches to the engine) had a magnet in the little circle inthe end. but now you have me quetioning the source.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the magnet from Sean Roe for around $1. Dropped it into the bottom of a K&N filter. We'll see how it looks in 3,000 miles...

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil in my Viper is usually changed based on time (three months) before I ever see the miles change number.... i.e. the oil is still clean. I've used the NAPA Gold filter and been pretty happy with it. But since my oil never seems to be dirty, it must work well... LOL

How did I end up at the NAPA Gold filter?

Well, a fellow used to have REALLY NEAT site on just oil filters, we love Vipers, well this guy loved oil filters (It takes all kinds:)). Anyway, for fun, he buy's oil filters, cuts them open and reverse engineers them. He measures can volumes, length of the filter media, the filter medias "pore size", type of construction, if they had check valves, types of check valves,
"Neat ideas", and just an infinite number of stuff that only engineering nerds love. Well, the NAPA Gold/WIX filter seems to me to be a good value as often as I change filters (every thre months).

Check it out:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Here is what he says about the Mobil 1 Filter (note comments on splits, the fellow from Team Viper mentioned this during the N. TX Tech Seminar, but he thought it had been taken care of):

Mobil 1
M1-301
Like the Champ filter, this filter is made by Champion Labs. However, it uses a unique end plate and a thicker can that make it the strongest filter available for wide distribution retail sale. It also uses a synthetic media, which inproves filtration and flow. I'm happy to say that this filter is not a fake. It is definitely a unique design.

It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and is very strong. It is rated just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure spikes during start-up. However, as with all Mobil 1 products, expect to pay 2 - 3 times as much for this filter.

I have received many reports of these filters failing at high pressures. It seems that the seam where the backplate crimps to the case can split.

Average Retail Price $10
Cartridge Length 4.250 inches
Cartridge Outside Diameter 3.250 inches
Cartridge Inside Diameter 1.625 inches
Cartridge Pleats 52
Cartridge End Cap Type Stamped-steel, with bypass valve
Anti-Drainback Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm
Bypass Valve Type Spring-loaded steel, nitrile seal
Element Type Synthetic media, glued seam
Element Length 85 inches
Element Width 4.125 inches
Element Surface Area 351 square inches
Shell Thickness 0.022 inches
Backplate Thickness 0.138 inches
Gasket Type Nitrile rubber

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SylvanSRT,

I'll post a few pictures over the weekend. You are justified in questioning your source.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235