Buying and selling a new elise(but could be a viper)

cosborn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

this COULD be viper related. I have a lotus elise(err viper :) on order, number 9 in line here is Los Angeles as I was on the list for over 2 year. Already picked out the color also including the sport and touring options and it will be one of the first delivered in the country. I would like to sell the car, as I lost my job recently and already have a Viper, a Panoz and a Wrangler, 4 cars would be too many right now.

I would like to sell the car as if I have never owned it, but am not really sure how to do it(ie anybody purchasing it from me would have a new car as opposed to a 1 owner 0 mile automobile). Anybody ever had a transaction like this before? Anybody want to buy the car?

Thanks,

Chris

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on the list as well - #6 on my list at Star motors in Houston. What color did you go with? I went with Bordeaux Red Pearl + hardtop + sport package.

But I ain't selling mine. :)

You should keep it for a month and see if you don't change your mind......maybe you'll sell one of the others instead!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biggest issue is the taxes due upon sale. If your dealership plays along, you could just charge the new buyer a premium to purchase your place in line. The new buyer would then just pay the dealership.
Dealerships often don't want to do this, as they also would like to collect the premium.
You need to speak to your dealer to determine the ground rules.
Think this could be a very desirable car, especially in the first year, then depreciate rapidily as supply meets the demand.
How long do you think it would be until car #9 is delivered. That could make all the difference.
Maybe an add in Autoweek would bring an interested buyer.

OP
OP
C

cosborn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer doesn't seem to want to work with me, which is understandable. I should be in the first batch that arrives at that dealer supposedly at the beginning of next month. They have "over 200" people on the list. Rumours are that the allocation is about 10 a month. But I have heard rumours about this crap for years and they have outlasted my ability to get the car.

I ordered with the ardent red with sport and touring packages. The touring package was worth it for the MP3 player, ya ya I know listen to the car. Have also heard that a dealer installed option will be the "sport exhaust" which seems like another option that I would want....

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard about the sport exhaust too - my dealer doesn't know much about it yet so it's probably something that we'll do after a few have been delivered and they actually have the kits to install.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read in AutoWeek(?) that the first year is sold out... and they were hinting that dealers were going to gouge... if you have a deal at invoice, it should be easy for you to resell (as you have already seen by the interest expressed by many here).

I'm betting the dealer does not want to work with you as he now sees a chance to resell the car and make a good buck on it.

I must admit.... there will likely be one in my garage in some future year.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard about the sport exhaust too - my dealer doesn't know much about it yet so it's probably something that we'll do after a few have been delivered and they actually have the kits to install.

you definitely need a sports exhaust, else it will hard to tell if the car is running or not

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sold my spot about 3 months ago. I was NUMBER 1 at Overseas in Dallas. Would have loved to have the car, but it was SMALL!!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the dealer is full of hocky! 200 on the wait list and you can't get out of the deal?? I would think the hardship of loosing your JOB would be enough. Talk to a lawyer, or tell them you can not afford the car, can't get blood from a turnip!
Good luck!