Viper ignorant local dealer, Chuck Tator to the rescue!

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I knew I was in trouble when I called the dealer about getting transmission fluid and his first question was, "Is it an automatic or a manual?" I ended up leaving the dealership with 4 quarts of Synthetic manual transmission fluid at a cost of $21.75 per quart. I also picked up some rear axle fluid and brake fluid. After I got home I changed the rear axle fluid and was about to start on the tranny. At the last minute I decided to make a call to Chuck just to make sure they gave me the right tranny fluid. Thank God I did. They gave me the wrong stuff. The Gen 1 trannies take regular ATF +3 ($3.00 per quart) while the Gen 2's do take the synthetic. Something about the synchros in the Gen 1's are made of a synthetic material (I can't remember exactly what Chuck told me) that the synthetic fluid will not lubricate them correctly. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience and to let any Gen 1 owners know that when they buy tranny fluid, make sure to get the ATF+3. Thanks a million Chuck! I'll try to limit my calls to once per week from now on. :)

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nat, I remember reading posts about adding an "additive" to the differential fluid when changing. Just a reminder ...better safe than sorry. Did you?

Dave :usa:

OP
OP
N

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave, I got that too. It's a friction modifier. Comes in a 4 oz container. Just squeeze it in the rear axle before filling it with new axle fluid. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4