Need Opinions-Keep Gen II or go to a Gen III

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have looked at the new viper 1000 times, starting to like the look, however I still favor the look of a Gen II Viper better. Thinking of installing a Roe Blower & a breaking system. I figure total cost $ 12K - $14K in upgrades. On the other hand I could just sell the car and put the $ 12K - $14K towards the purchase of a use 03, or a new 04, Gen III Viper. What do you guys think. Ive been tossing the idea around for over a month. I just feel that with those additional mods, I will never recover the $$ when I want to sell it. I would appreciate your imput.

Thanks

Speedstyle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you asking for our input? Go with what you feel. Do you want a car with you dont find beautiful outside but brakes better, etc or do you want the looks of a Gen2 with the added power of a roe s/c? Its your car, go with your gut feeling. Im my opinion I think you want the Gen2 otherwise you wouldnt be asking us. Either way you still have a Viper and all its glory.

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck no keep that good looking Viper and put the money in the mods, believe me you will not regret the investment. If you are thinking about selling, sell before you mod you are likely to get more money now then after.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No way would I trade up unless the coupe comes out. I would think a GenIII will depreciate 12K-14K in a few years anyway. So the mods would be a wash when you factor in depreciation, actually you will probably be ahead with the old car with mods vs new car depreciation. IMO

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a gen 2 and I 110% agree with you i like the looks of the gen 2 over the gen 3 i would keep it and do mods thats what im doing

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love all Vipers but, for me, the GenIII Vipers don't really catch the attention that the GenI and GenII's do. I will always own a I or II Viper, much better looking. Thats my opinion.

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you this...I had a 01, sold it for a 03, I sold that and bought a 01 again. The 03 is OK, but i swear people really thought it was a S2000 or a camero. It just blends in too much with all the other cars on the road today. Now if and when they come out with a coupe, that might be a different story.

Good Luck,
ROB :usa:

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you this...I had a 01, sold it for a 03, I sold that and bought a 01 again. The 03 is OK, but i swear people really thought it was a S2000 or a camero. It just blends in too much with all the other cars on the road today. Now if and when they come out with a coupe, that might be a different story.

Good Luck,
ROB :usa:

"That's a nice car, I didn't know they make S2000 coupés!"

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT is 100X better car in just about every respect than either on one of my previous RT's could every wished to be. You will prob spend at least 4-7k to get brake hardware equal to the SRT and still not have ABS. I loved my Gen II's but my SRT is the cat's A$$!

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put 2000 miles a year on your car keep the Gen2. If you drive your Viper 5000 miles or more a year get the Gen3. Or better yet get all 3.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck read my mind,
Figure out a way to own both. I like the SRT but you can't beat the original for shock and awh.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver ignition key, ACR 5 point harnesses.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Silver 99 R/T and have driven a friends new SRT. I agree with most people how the ride and handling is better in the SRT but to me it doesn't have that race car feel like the GEN 1 and 2. Side by side to me the 99 has a more radical aggressive look. People know what it is right away. I notice at car shows people are not sure what the SRT is from a quick glance but they know its exotic and have to read Viper on the side. Maybe in time the general public recognize the SRT the way the Gen I and II gets noticed now. From an aesthetic standpoint the Gen 1 and Gen 2 still replicates the lines of vintage 60'S sports cars (cars that had the curves of supermodels)which to me was the epitomy of sports car design. If you put on the supercharger you have everything in a sports car with outrageous performance and looks. I think you really have decide what purpose the car is going to be used for. If your using the car for everyday I would lean torward the SRT. High Performance weekends affecting the earth's rotation, the GenII Supercharged.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's simple. Stock for stock if your looking for performance get a SRT-10. If looks/styling are more important go with the Gen.1/2 Viper. The SRT-10 Viper will never come close to the looks of a Gen.1/2 Viper. Now when we get the Coupe version of the SRT-10 that will look bad-***. I still think the GTS will always be king but the Coupe would be a close 2nd. :cool:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 00GTS and ordered an 03 SRT, after seeing in person the SRT,I decided to keep my GTS and not to take delivery of my SRT.

There is no doubt that from a mechanical point of view, the SRT is a better car but, since you can't use (on the street at least and the SRT is not race approved)all the performances of the GTS,what the point of having "better" performances with the SRT?

The look/style of the GTS is unique and timeless and,contrary to performances, is "used" all the times.

look at a 96 GTS and the design/look has not aged a bit,fast forward to 2011 and I frankly believe that the same will not be said of the 2003 SRT.

Luc.00GTS

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough now to have both a '97 GTS and a 2003 SRT. The SRT makes a better daily driver. No way would I sell my GTS though for the SRT if I couldn't have both. The SRT is more indistinguishable from other cars on the road from a looks standpoint IMO. I happen to like the look and you can't complain about the handling but it really is a totally different car from the R/T or GTS and people will always think of the Gen I/II when they think of the Viper. If you can't swing both, keep what you have. Add the SRT when they depreciate to your satisfaction if you still like them in a couple years. I hope I haven't offended any SRT owners here; just giving my opinion.
:D

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i am so glad someone finally said that cuz i have been thinking that for awhile i totally agree with you Wise

OP
OP
D

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, there well appreciated. The Viper is only use 2K miles a year. Im not worried about comfort. I looked at other exotics, however for the $$ nothing tops the performance of the Viper. Gen I & II Viper IMO, have that exotic look, that i just cant get tired of. Think it time to MODIFY and wait for the coupe to come out.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mod the GENII if that's your thing, but do nothing that can't be undone. When you're ready to sell, revert to stock, thereby reaping better resale and sell the Mod parts separately.

IMO you'll get more total $'s out of it that way while enjoying your Mods in the meantime. Check out Hemmings.... the big buck muscle cars aren't the modded ones......

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the GenII..throw the mods on.
I also was considering selling my Gen II for a GenIII for the increased performance and braking but have since changed my mind.
After seeing pictures of the new Vette was the clincher for me. That car resembles the Gen III waaaay too much for my liking. Almost identical headlights and the doors also look very similar.
Unfortunately.....to the general public I am afraid the Vette and Gen III Viper will now blend in so much that people will have to really look to distinguish the 2 apart.
There is absolutely no mistaking a Gen I or Gen II approaching for miles away and to me that is what makes the Viper what it is.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supercharged GTS would be way more fun than a stock SRT. Upgrading the brakes should be manditory with these items.

Hassle factor might be more with the higher performance, and the braking will still not be as good as a stock SRT.

GTS is fantastic looking while SRT is only terrific looking.
You will never get money back for mods. They may even reduce the salability.

Another option would be to SuperCharge SRT.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OOPS. Noticed you have a RT/10.
While not as fantastic looking as GTS it is still stunning.

Getting an easy to use convertable may tip the scales. Do you usually run with top on or off?

Usually top on = Keep RT/10
Usually top off = Get SRT
Sometimes wish to run with top off, but it's too much of a hassle to remove = SRT.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you I would hold off and wait to see what the market value on SRT's is going to hold. I hear too many people saying how the looks are not as desirable as the original gen 1&2. I believe Firecat is right about the new corvette C6 looking similar. The C6 may affect potential buyers for the SRT. A would be SRT buyer may say the C6 looks almost as good as the SRT and with a few mods would be close to the SRT stock performance at half the cost. Its very hard to speculate but something you may want to consider. Wait and watch IMO

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GenIII gets more attention than the RT-10 or GTS I owned. All got mega-attention, but the SRT is the 'new' Viper and most people still haven't seen one (at least in my area). I hate it. Every Jackazz wants to talk to me.

But it does have it's good moments: Ever see an entire little league team stop playing as you drive by? The pitcher threw the ball just as I came around the corner, the batter had his back to me and hit a slow grounder towards the shortstop. The entire team points and yells VIPER! and the ball dribbles into left field and stops. I think the kid got a triple before the coach got the outfielders attention. Classic.

Truth is, buy the car that makes YOUR heart beat faster. Don't worry about what others (even VCA people) think.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GenIII gets more attention than the RT-10 or GTS I owned. All got mega-attention, but the SRT is the 'new' Viper and most people still haven't seen one (at least in my area). I hate it. Every Jackazz wants to talk to me.

But it does have it's good moments: Ever see an entire little league team stop playing as you drive by? The pitcher threw the ball just as I came around the corner, the batter had his back to me and hit a slow grounder towards the shortstop. The entire team points and yells VIPER! and the ball dribbles into left field and stops. I think the kid got a triple before the coach got the outfielders attention. Classic.

Truth is, buy the car that makes YOUR heart beat faster. Don't worry about what others (even VCA people) think.
Wow! It's amazing all those kids knew you were driving a Viper with it's tamed down styling. :rolleyes: Good for you. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth