Purners slicks / skinnies fitting on a 2002 w/ ABS?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone asked me the other day if Purners (specifically the skinnies) would fit over the front calipers of a 2002 Viper. Does anyone have experience with this at all?

More curious than anything else...

JD

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skinnies should fit, they work on my 01 (01 have ABS). Rear slicks will NOT fit without mods.

Cudaman :usa:

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What cudaman said. Fronts fit without issue. To fit the rears over '01 brakes, remove the rear caliper, machine the caliper a bit to countersink the brake line banjo bolt, shorten the bolt shank accordingly, remove most of the top of the bolt... volia, everything fits.

Or, get a pair of 18" purners w/345 BFG g-force drag radials. Drive 'em on the street, race with 'em... it's all good.

(FWIW, I ran a 10.4 my first time out on the BFGs. Did a 148 MPH pass on them too. They're quite good!)

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does all this work to the caliper compromise it's strenght and durability?? Hmm I only plan on drag racing the car once, the open road is where I belong :)

Mike

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, I take it you don't agree with the sentiments of some that you take your life in your hands driving BFG's on the street due to the sidewalls flexing? What pressure do you run in them on the street, and how do they stick?

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotcha by a hundredth, Ben, with my 10.39 maiden voyage. :D

The car actually drives pretty well on the street at 29 psi and I have the g-Force drag radials front and rear. I kinda miss having to pedal it in third though. :2tu:

Chad

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the BFG's are great! They stick like you wouldn't believe and are a street tire. I wouldn't recommend doing any high speed runs or canyon blasts with them but they are great for every day driving (3000-5000 miles per set). I ran a (1.67 60' time)10.25 on the BFG's in vegas and babied it out of the hole. There is a nine second pass in my future on BFG's. That is simply incredible to even think about running a nine second pass on true street tires.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, Ben nice MPH on the BFG's. How do the BFG's hold when you are on the nitrous at full boost in 2nd,3rd, and 4th gear?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found it somewhat harder to launch the DRs- I had to launch at ~3200, and they would spin and keep spinning if I tried to go harder. Once they're hooked, however, they held everything my car could dish out. I was making 840-950 RWHP in 2nd and they didn't *ever* twitch.

Chad - my 10.4 pass was at 117 MPH; the track was insisting that I not run faster than 135 MPH without a NHRA license :( so I hit the brakes at the 1000' mark. I might have had you otherwise :laugh: However, for now you have the DLM-S/C-Only-On-BFG-DRs-First-Time-At-The-Track record ! Pulled a 1.58 60', however *cheer*

Ronnie - they work just fine as a street tire. They even corner fairly well. I run 'em at 30 PSI on the street, 17 PSI at the track.

So Joe - my net is you should tell your "friend" that the Purners w/DRs is a perfect setup for anyone running slower than mid-10s.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, you mind if I use that in my sig? :p

And I was pretty happy at the track on Sunday when I got my 12.5 timeslip for my CL, until of course I remembered about your damn 11 second S Class. :D

So I need juice on both cars now. :2tu:

Chad

PS: What do you run on the front when you run DR's? 295 Pilots with that 11" front rim? My car came with 275 DR's on the front and I am second guessing that application.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth