Need a tow truck for my viper: Dodge ram diesel or the ford superduty??

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cant seem to find out what truck is better the dodge ram 2003 cummins or the ford super duty diesel 6.0l or the 7.3l
I talked to many people about mileage and power and everyone seems to say different
What I want to know is, has anyone had both trucks and what was the power difference and mileage empty and loaded

What I have now is a 2003 ford f150 4.6l and a 24foot enclosed trailer
The truck is under powered with the trailer and a damm pig on gas with it
If I get a diesel I would be looking into more of the mileage then the power as I got away with a small 4.6

If anyone could help me out with websites/own experiences that would be great
I just thought I would ask on this site before I make a mistake.
I do want a ford diesel superduty or the ram cummins diesel both are real nice trucks altough I heard some bad stuff about the new 6.0l ford so I might want to look at the 7.3l and also the H.O dodges with head gaskets??? so would the regular cummins be the one to go with over the h.o.???

let me know your input

b.t.w The trailer weighs a bit over 7000lbs with the viper in it

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford Super Duty. I have a 99 E-350 Super Duty Diesel Van, I tow a 28 Ft trailer loaded. I love it. When i get the additional $$$$ i will purchase a regular F-350 SD truck to tow with.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to make the same decision and the Ford wins hands down. More room and better quality on the interior. (sorry Dodge fans) Ford is a better truck IMHO

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't live without my 03 Cummins High output.

Pulls this load (around 10k) at 75-80mph without any problems.
You must be registered for see images

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my super duty F250 with the camper pack, Go to ford online & it gives you the invioce & sticker of trucks in your area. I shopped around & finally a dealer gave me the truck @ invoice & the cash back rebate too

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Need a tow truck for my viper: Dodge ram diesel or the ford superduty

I have a 2003 1500 with hemi that I pull the viper with...don't even know the car is behind me.

Andrew
[image]http://www.trishare.com/pictures1/view.nhtml?profile=pictures1&UID=10018[/image]

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have any of you guys ever driven or sat in a new GMC or Chevy truck? MUCH better than Ford or Dodge! The comfort, quality, and materials are not even close. Not to mention resale!

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The comfort, quality, and materials are not even close.
I agree with this statement, at any rate. The interior of the Chevy is just terrible... looks and feels the same as it did in the early 90s, and after owning three GMs I simply do not trust their long term quality. The influence of the "D" in DC has really made a difference in this latest Ram generation... IMO the Dodge trucks have Chevy beat all around for quality and workmanship.

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not to mention the Cummins!

vettekiller

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im buying a duramax chevy much quieter and pulls great plus I like the interiors over ford and dodge

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I could afford it I'd get the 2004.5 Cummins 600. Right now I've got a '97 Dakota V8 that does real well. Long hills are a bit of a challenge regarding staying the speed limit but overall for the little towing I do it will have to do.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is my new tow truck. Decided on the Ford due to the durability and since I can't afford a new one, this was one that met my needs and looked cool too! :2tu: I have the 7.3L diesel and it tows great and got 11-12 MPG with the load at 65 MPH. Without the load at 65, I got 17 MPG.

85Jaytruck002.jpg

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a Ram 1500 Hemi but without a doubt, if you do a lot of pulling go with the diesel. They make SO much more torque it is almost laughable. I love my stump pulling hemi, SO much more power than Chevy and Ford, but go with a diesel. It will not disapoint

Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love my stump pulling hemi, SO much more power than Chevy and Ford, but go with a diesel. It will not disapoint

I guess it depends on what truck you are refering to, my 6.0L GMC makes 325hp/365tq and the Escalde truck makes 345hp/385tq. My nextdoor neighbor has a '03 Hemi and is a sweet truck, we both haul car trailers. From time to time and switch truck for giggles and neither can tell the difference from a power standpoint, but he's averageing 5mpg LESS than I am with and without a load.

I would go for the Chevy duramax, kida hard to beat a QUIET 596tq, allison 5spd and a sweet interior. Just my opinion........

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember that the chev and ford are a light duty engine.The Dodge Cummins is a med duty engine begging to be tuned up to medium power and torque.The Dodge is usually slower at take off but it will out pull the others up hill.Any 1 ton diesel is a monster.Check out the dodge,ford and chev truck forums for real insight.BTW ford uses the cummins in its higher load truck series. Bruce

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just bought a new F-250 6.0 liter Harley Davidson edition. I got the solid black with a silver and orange stripe. I traded my 7.3 powerstroke. I think they both do a great job. The 7.3 felt stronger on the bottom end especially with a superchip. The 6.0 liter is quieter and pulls strong through the mid and upper range. I was told that Ford has made over 40 engine improvements to the 6.0 liter from the 03 to the 04. I had heard of the initial problems as well. My new Harley Edition also comes with nice 18" polished wheels, Chrome front tow hooks, Chrome exhaust tip, Polished or Chrome guages, Moon roof, Heated Seats, 6 disc cd changer,Heated mirrors, and a much nicer black interior.
I like the new Dodge and I'm sure the cummins is a great engine, but I'm not sold on their interior, besides the their crew cab is smaller.

My dad has a 2003 loaded GMC duramax 2500. It is quieter than my Ford, feels every bit as fast (maybe more) and has many more bells and whistles. Better modes of heated seats, steering wheel controls for radio, XM Radio, dual climate control, allison transmission, and IMO drives better. He now has 37000 miles on it and the only problem he has had was a sensor on the four wheel drive went bad within the first 100 miles of ownership. GM fixed it and it has been perfect since.

If I was doing it over I would buy the GMC. I've actually been thinking about selling my new 250 with 600 miles and buying the GMC
Just my .02 :usa:

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just bought a new F-250 6.0 liter Harley Davidson edition. I got the solid black with a silver and orange stripe. I traded my 7.3 powerstroke. I think they both do a great job. The 7.3 felt stronger on the bottom end especially with a superchip. The 6.0 liter is quieter and pulls strong through the mid and upper range. I was told that Ford has made over 40 engine improvements to the 6.0 liter from the 03 to the 04. I had heard of the initial problems as well. My new Harley Edition also comes with nice 18" polished wheels, Chrome front tow hooks, Chrome exhaust tip, Polished or Chrome guages, Moon roof, Heated Seats, 6 disc cd changer,Heated mirrors, and a much nicer black interior.
I like the new Dodge and I'm sure the cummins is a great engine, but I'm not sold on their interior, besides the their crew cab is smaller.

My dad has a 2003 loaded GMC duramax 2500. It is quieter than my Ford, feels every bit as fast (maybe more) and has many more bells and whistles. Better modes of heated seats, steering wheel controls for radio, XM Radio, dual climate control, allison transmission, and IMO drives better. He now has 37000 miles on it and the only problem he has had was a sensor on the four wheel drive went bad within the first 100 miles of ownership. GM fixed it and it has been perfect since.

If I was doing it over I would buy the GMC. I've actually been thinking about selling my new 250 with 600 miles and buying the GMC

I have the Harley Davidson Edition as well. Put the Edge Products Chip in it and you will be amazed!

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the Harley Davidson Edition as well. Put the Edge Products Chip in it and you will be amazed!

David
Can you PM me some Info. on where the best place to get it. Will it hurt the engine? What kind of Power increase does it provide?
Which color truck did you get???

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just ordered a Dodge Ram 3500 dually last week. I will be waiting almost 60 days for delivery, because of my options. I ordered a quad cab with the Laramie package in metallic silver. It has the Cummins 600 H.O. diesel motor (330 HP and 600lbs-ft of torque). I went with the 6 speed manual and the 3.73 anti-spin rear end. It will tow 16,400 pounds and hold 5,000 pounds in the payload. Cummins will warranty the motor for 100,000 miles, plus a 7year/70,000 miles warranty from Dodge. I do not think Ford or GM come close in power, warranty, value and looks compared to Dodge. Not to mention how disgraceful it is to see any other truck towing a Viper.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is my 6.0 F-350 Super-Duty King Ranch dually (it now has 435 HP and 880 lbs of torque). This is one towing machine, I have pulled 2 Vipers with cruise control set @ 90mph, when it was stock. You can even tell you are pulling any thing.

10Texas.jpg

Larry Macedo was the pilot of the 34ft. tow rig.

Cudaman :usa:

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Turbo diesels love to be modified. What are the stock numbers from your Ford motor before it was modified? Imagine the gains that could be made if you start out with a big powered motor like the Cummins H.O. 600.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Turbo diesels love to be modified. What are the stock numbers from your Ford motor before it was modified? Imagine the gains that could be made if you start out with a big powered motor like the Cummins H.O. 600.

325HP and 560Tq from the factory in 03.... so I under estimated my HP it is 465 HP..... The big 3 are having HP and torque wars ...1 raises theirs and the other 2 fallow suit. I also get 22 mpg on the highway with a 100,000 warranty standard......Diesels are the way to go! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :2tu: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Cudaman :usa:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your decision should be simple.

New ford 6.0=Nightmare waiting to happen just go on the Ford forums and see what the people that own them are going through.

New Dodge=Nice truck/engine, but the lack of an auto tranny makes it pointless.

Chevy/GMC=Nice truck/Great motor proven itself in the past 3 years/and a great tranny.

The other great thing about the Duramax is its ability to make power when modified with just boxes. I have a few friends making almost 500hp at the wheels, and almost 900lb's torque. With just 2 tunning boxes and no other work, they others may one day be able to do that. But at this point they cant, hell the Ford has a hard time putting up with the 325hp it comes with.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the V-!0 & have had no issues in 25k of hard towing, in fact the quality of the truck has been superb, It has never been back to the dealer for anything but service.