I'm switching to AMSOil

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m switching to AMSOil

I use it for trans and gear oil.I change motor oil to frequent to make any difference what syn I use.
Amsoil :2tu:

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The rep claimed that it would reduce my engine temp plus their filter supposed to be a lot better.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't want to get into pitching rocks, but there is more information to consider regarding the four ball when selecting your oil:

The ASTM D4172 Four Ball test is a screener - it picks cats from dogs. It is more realistic to think it could be used for grease or EP (gear oil) additives, but not technically credible to directly relate it to lubricated mechanisms in your engine. This test holds three balls in a triangle, and the fourth ball is put on top to form a pyramid. The balls are in a small bath with the test fluid heated to the specified temperature. The top ball is loaded and rotated. The wear scar on the ball surface is measured for the report.

Old fashioned gear oil additives (those cholorinated paraffins that make for a great demonstration in the Falex test, where a bar is weighted against an electric motor shaft) would do great in the four ball test but be extremely corrosive for many automotive engine parts. The four ball is not only not a substitute for an engine evaluation, and can also give false engine evaluation predictions.

The four ball test has been available for years, is well known in the industry, yet isn't part of any modern (or recent) engine oil performance requirement. It is not part of API SJ or SL, any diesel API CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, etc, not the GM 9986137 Corvette spec, any Porsche, MB, spec... on and on.

It sounds like there is a credibility issue? Let's go a little further. I have nothing against oils that choose not to certify their oils as API SL (the doughnut symbol on the back) or ILSAC GF-3 (the starburst symbol on the front.) It's expensive, it's an OEM driven system, and it limits what the marketers can say about their product. The symbols are, however, meant to inform the consumer that the lubricant has met certain tests and participates in a quality control monitoring system from plant to distribution to random testing. So it would be a little unfair to use a very similar, easily mistaken symbol on a bottle of non-certified oil, no?

36Amsoil.gif

Which is the certified oil? (One really is.) Feel a little misled? Again, you don't need an API license to have a great oil, but you don't need to pseudo-copy a trademark symbol to make it appear that you might. Now think about that four ball test, what it really means to an engine, and where you heard about it.

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm considering their 10w40 for my next fill, but seeing as I can get Mobil 1 0w40 Euroblend from Wally World in 5-qt jusgs it's hard to pas sup. I do run their syn ATF in my gear box and will put it in the rear before my next track event in July.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any oil company that gives me 120 seconds via a web popup to buy a "dealership" has a credibility problem in my book.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom is, without a doubt, the resident oil formulation guru, albeit a little biased towards the petroleum industry he works for. A quick search for the four ball wear test shows it to be an accepted ASTM test used by multiple testing facilities for oils and greases. Here's just a couple descriptions I found. (non Amsoil sites)

The ASTM 4172 Four-Ball Wear test provides a set of controlled conditions with which to compare the wear characteristics of oils by subjecting each test oil to the same temperature, component speed and pressures specified in the ASTM test. This eliminates the environmental and material variables found in road testing of components which would obfuscate the results of the study.

The Four Ball Wear test is a more accurate development of the Four Ball geometry. Loading of specimens occurs by a damped pneumatic cylinder. The specimen cup floats on a frictionless air bearing, resulting in an accurate measure of the friction force. The test machine is designed to differentiate between small quality differences and to improve the reproducibility of the original Four Ball test method.Recently, the wear resistance of coated balls under high contact loads is investigated using this equipment. Also, the contact between a rotating ball and flat specimens can be simulated to investigate adhesive and abrasive wear and plastic deformation phenomena under rotating contacts
It is not uncommon for several oils to be tested using these methods as a means to discover the performance rankings of the lubricants you are testing for use. You can narrow your search for the right lubricant… based upon the outcome of these popular testing methods. (Lube Trak)

I would think that with the closer and closer tolerances in today’s engines, that this test would have relevance. Tom has always had heartburn with this test and maybe his reasons are valid. OK--Let’s throw out this test. Amsoil holds it’s own, and more, in any other test as well. It surpasses the tougher ACEA European standards. This oil has been around since 1972. They were the first API approved synthetic. I believe Mobil 1 came out in 1975. I’ve been using it almost 30 years. There are literally billions of miles under the bridge using these products with no failures due to lubrication. I have close to a million miles of my own—most of them using extended drain intervals. They have a 100% warranty on any of their products if Amsoil can be proven to be at fault. To my knowledge, the warranty has never been used. My own Viper oil analysis results, which Tom interpreted, showed the Series 2000 0W-30 oil to outperform Mobil 1. I might add that my oil was run much harder than the Mobil 1 it was compared against (6000 miles, one track event, drag races, several xcrosses)

The Starburst Symbol: A new motor oil rating system was introduced in 1993 by the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC). Oils that meet the ILSAC standards for gasoline engines in cars and light trucks may display the ILSAC starburst symbol on the container. The ILSAC starburst does not replace API and SAE ratings. It is intended to help car owners select oil that meets all of the operating requirements for vehicles built since 1993. Many owners' manuals for 1993 and later cars and light trucks list the ILSAC starburst symbol along with the recommended API and SAE ratings.

I would venture a guess that 90% of the oil buying population don’t have a clue what the Starburst symbol is or represents. I didn’t either until explained here by Tom in an earlier discussion. Nor do most consumers have a clue about any of the API classifications. They go to Walmart and buy 5W-30 off the shelf at the cheapest price they can find. Tom states it’s an expensive OEM initiated system. Why should any independent company with a 100% warranty on their products have to comply with yet another expensive hoop to jump through from an OEM. I will agree that to put a similar symbol in place without paying the price of accreditation, could be construed as misleading....if you knew what the heck it was in the first place. Tom's picture above is the first time I paid any attention to it.

I have recently been told that the State of Colorado, after doing extensive testing, uses Amsoil products in at least part of their state fleet. I have not corroborated that, but it came from a source I would trust.

My new Unitrax rear end assembly will be filled with Amsoil lube. Unitrax is a well-respected gear company. They are very particular about the lubrication products installed in their assemblies. They have no problem with me using Amsoil gear lube

My main point for continuing with this dialogue has always been to point out that just because DC uses Mobil 1 and Castrol in our cars as OEM fluids, it doesn’t necessarily mean these products are the absolute best for our cars. There are alternatives as good or better. Marketing and money are key factors here as well. Gee, I wonder if Mobil paid some dollars to have their name on the oil cap? I found paint thinner removed it quite efficiently.

Steve

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve...

I used to work for an oil company until I was let go. I'm starting a little technology company now. I have no strong allegiance to past employers.

Lube Trak sells services, not technology. We have to find someone believeable who develops engine oils and ask them if they use a four ball test. I guess I don't count anymore.

I agreed an oil doesn't have to be certified to be a good oil.

I think your comment about how 90% of the people don't have a clue about the Starburst shows how poorly the OEMs and API have gotten the message across. But it speaks more loudly about the oil marketer, who certainly knows what the symbol is for (even if you don't), when they decided to clone the symbol and perpetuate the confusion.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"I have recently been told that the State of Colorado, after doing extensive testing, uses Amsoil products in at least part of their state fleet."

That probably means that someone selling Amsoil is making some money.

Hey, none of you guys really believe that Amsoil is better than Mobil 1, do you?

Could it really be so much better that it would make a difference to folks who change their oil too often anyway?

Where does Amsoil come from anyway? Are there big Amsoil tankers plying the seven seas?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Since Mobil One is so cheap (relatively) at Walmart, Sams, etc., and since I don't put that many miles on, it doesn't make much sense to spend more for oil.
I use it in everything, generators, lawnmowers,...

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom,

Your comments are always appreciated and do count. I, like many others here, have learned a lot from your extensive 'inside' experience and expertise in this area. I have saved all that you have written on this subject over my 4 years here. Your brake info and gas pedal adjustment info are also stored in my files. You are an asset to this forum.

I wish you all the best in your new venture.

I would go a step further with the Starburst symbol. Whether people know what it is or not--you are probably correct when you state the 'marketeer' aspect of the equation. There is likely a subliminal connection to that symbol whenever you see it--even if one doesn't know what it is. If you walk down the oil aisle at Walmart and the front of every oil container has this symbol displayed,
your mind picks up on this as an accepted and proper symbol. When a company like Amsoil puts it on the front of the container, I'm sure the intent is for the consumer to get a warm fuzzy feeling when he sees it.

Hey Joe,

If my info is correct...Both oils are made from the same type of PAO base stock. It then becomes a matter of what add packs go into the process. It appears that they have each taken a different route there. According to Tom's analysis, the Amsoil appears more 'robust' and with a higher TBN (a good thing)

Tom doesn't use Mobil 1 in his car. If I'm not mistaken, I believe he no longer uses Castrol in the tranny. This furthers my contention that there suitable alternatives to the OEM fluids.

Steve

Ramit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m switching to AMSOIL

My name is Steve. I am the distributor of AMSOIL products that "ElDiablo Viper" spoke with. I would like to respond to the concerns posed with respect to AMSOIL Inc.’s use of the ASTM 4172B Four-Ball Wear Test and the circular symbol displayed in four AMSOIL product shots containing varying information, which has been purported to purposely mislead the consumer.

First, I would like to tell you about myself. I am a fully trained and certified distributor of lubricants and filtration, not simply a salesperson. Also, I do not work for AMSOIL, and therefore, am not obligated in any way to defend them, or solely represent their product line. The same is true of any distributor of AMSOIL products. I could carry as many brands of oil and filtration as I care to. I do not wish do deal in any other brand of oil or filter because I personally tested the AMSOIL product line, using oil analysis, against competing brands for five years before I decided to sell it, and found none to compare. In fact, AMSOIL has no in-house sales reps, so I can assure you that I am going to provide you with unbiased, factual, substantiated, and verifiable information. We are going to take a look at AMSOIL’s marketing in its’ entirety and what lubricant trade journals and consumer magazines have to say, both about AMSOIL Inc. and about their competitors. – All third-party information, not what AMSOIL, nor myself have to say about the issues at hand. All quotes will be referenced. I would be glad to supply copies of the articles in their entirety, or you can certainly contact the publishers named.

Solely based on the information presented, it would appear to be a dishonest attempt at marketing. But, as we all know from our own experience, things are not always as they seem. All the facts have not been taken into consideration. The original question posed by ElDiablo Viper was, “Is anyone using AMSOIL?” The one person who responded, “Yes” gave AMSOIL products two thumbs up.

There is a four-ball test method to determine wear protection and a four-ball test method to determine extreme pressure protection or load carrying capabilities. Just because the four-ball test method measuring wear protection capabilities isn't part of any modern (or recent) engine oil performance requirement, not part of API SJ or SL, any diesel API CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, etc, not the GM 9986137 Corvette spec, any Porsche, MB, spec, doesn’t mean that it should not be. Perhaps AMSOIL’s competitors have something to hide? I obtained the following definition regarding Four-Ball testing methods from oilanalysis.com: “This name is frequently used to describe either of two similar laboratory machines, the Four-Ball Wear Tester and the Four-Ball EP Tester. These machines are used to evaluate a lubricant’s anti-wear qualities, frictional characteristics or load carrying capabilities. It derives its name from the four 1/2 inch steel balls used as test specimens. Three of the balls are held together in a cup filled with lubricant while the fourth ball is rotated against them.”

Let us put the various Four-Ball test methods aside and look at another method of determining wear protection capabilities that no one can argue with – used oil analysis. As further proof that AMSOIL synthetic motor oil provides the finest wear protection available, The December 1998 issue of Fast Fours and Rotaries Magazine shows that while all claim to be superior, AMSOIL makes the world’s finest synthetic motor oil. They not only rated AMSOIL’s product number one, they called it a standout. This was a test of each company’s best product – their race grade oil, not the standard Mobil 1, or Castrol Syntec marketed here. Many of AMSOIL’s competitors make higher quality oils for the European market and are holding back on the USA. This is because the equivalent of the API for Europe, ACEA, sets higher minimum oil standards. Talk about being misled. AMSOIL had the lowest wear metal generation, with an average particle size of 5-10 microns. Most of the other brands had an average particle size of 15-20 microns, and some had an average particle size of 20-25 microns.

Shifting gears, AMSOIL was the only oil in the test that had no viscosity loss, perhaps the most vital aspect to consider when choosing motor oil. Even Shell Helix Ultra and Plus, the oils Ferrari uses, as well as Castrol R, suffered significant viscosity losses, and rated a little above average in wear metal generation. FFR tested AMSOIL Series 2000 20W-50, BP Visco 5000, Mobil 1 5W-50 and 0W-40, Hi-Tec HTO, Shell Helix Ultra and Plus, Royal Purple, Castrol R and Castrol SLX, and Torco. The product order listed is how the ten oils rated, from best to worst.

The photos showing the front labels of several AMSOIL products are relatively small and grainy on my 20” monitor, making the circle of information pointed out look more similar than they do in real life. I can only imagine how they look on a 17” monitor. Also, Tom did not show the information on the rear label of each product, which states – “XL-7500 provides exceptional protection over extended oil change intervals of 7,500 miles or six months, whichever comes first.” The rear label of the SAE 5W-30 states “Provides exceptional protection over extended drain intervals of up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first when used in gasoline fueled personal passenger vehicles.” The rear label of the Series 2000 0W-30 states, “Oil may be drained at intervals up to 35,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first when used in mechanically sound gasoline engines.” Do the numbers astound anyone? They ought to because AMSOIL is the ONLY oil company producing such long life synthetic motor oil.

Question: Why would AMSOIL use the oil-licensing symbol to mislead the consumer when they are the only oil manufacturer not holding back on technology and giving the consumer such long-life products? AMSOIL has been doing so for THIRTY YEARS! Where is the rest of the oil industry? Where have they been for the last thirty years? Talk about feeling misled! In 1972 AMSOIL introduced the world’s first API rated 100% synthetic motor oil and even that first product was capable of 25,000-mile drain intervals and SAID SO on the container. AMSOIL not only pioneered synthetics for the automobile, truck, and bus industry, but also developed the first long life synthetic lubricants, and coining the term “extended drain interval.”

The February 1994 issue of Lubricants World Magazine, a leading trade journal, Put AMSOIL in their “Hall of Fame” documenting that AMSOIL truly pioneered synthetic motor oil, are an honest and reputable company, and have made a significant contribution to the history of lubrication, worthy of bestowing the honor of placing the company in their hall of fame. Here is a quote from that article: “When the first can of AMSOIL 10W-40 appeared on the market in 1972, it signaled the birth of an entire industry. In only two decades, AMSOIL synthetic oils have expanded the boundaries of lubrication science and redefined the performance possibilities of modern machinery and engines. AMSOIL Inc. was founded on Al Amatuzio’s desire for technical innovation, his commitment to higher quality, and his belief that consumers would respond to a superior product. The company has remained true to these ideals; its history is a checklist of revolutionary products that have withstood the test of time. As the pioneer corporation in the field of synthetic lubrication, AMSOIL sees its commitment to excellence as an historic responsibility, and A.J. Amatuzio’s vision and enthusiasm continue to drive the company forward.”

In the March, 2003 issue of Lubes ‘n’ Greases Magazine, Automotive Editor, David McFall, wrote a scalding article entitled, “Drain Intervals: How Long Must We Wait?” (part of a series of three articles) about the dishonesty of the lubricant industry, and the honesty of only one oil manufacturer, AMSOIL, applauding AMSOIL for its’ extended drain technology.

Lubes-n-Greases Automotive Editor David McFall, once with the American Petroleum Institute recently tackled the issue of extended drain intervals in his March column, criticizing the standard 3,000-mile oil change and referring to the American motor oil market as "shackled." "In Europe the average engine oil drain interval for current gasoline-fueled cars is about 10,000 miles," explains McFall. "In the United States, indicates the Automotive Oil Change Association, the average drain interval followed by most drivers is somewhat less than 5,000 miles—one-half of Europe's. "Every year in the United States, this too-short drain interval results in the unneeded production of 300 million to 400 million gallons of engine oil; excess consumer expenditures of around $1.5 billion; and tens of millions of unnecessary oil changes."

Not only are these unnecessary oil changes an expense to consumers, explains McFall, but they have an environmental cost as well. "The added environmental cost of having an average 5,000-mile oil drain interval (instead of 10,000 miles, as in Europe) may be nearly 100 million gallons of engine oil being dumped, untreated, into the U.S. environment annually." McFall's examination of Mobil 1, Shell and AMSOIL demonstrates the differences among companies who are shackled to the current system and one who isn't.

"Here, in a nutshell," says McFall, "is this observer's take on ExxonMobil's and the oil industry's 'owner's manual' position: It is designed solely to increase motor oil sales." He backs it up by mentioning that Mobil 1 SuperSyn motor oil claims to meet European ACEA A5 and B5-02 specifications, two specifications intended to extend oil drain intervals. "If the oil can be used in Europe for extended drain intervals, why doesn't ExxonMobil notify U.S. consumers of that capability?" asks McFall. Although Shell Oil Products, owner of Pennzoil-Quaker State, has broken through the shackles enough to offer an API unlicensed oil specially formulated for higher mileage engines, they make no mention of a recommended drain interval, preferring instead to avoid the issue and keep consumers in the dark.

McFall marvels at the success of the independent motor oil company (AMSOIL) that offers drain intervals up to 11 times longer than the standard interval offered by conventional oils, saying, "Purists can sniff that AMSOIL's data isn't derived from a controlled field study, but the sheer mountain of vehicle miles over three decades, and the absence of any confirmed performance, wear or maintenance issues, speaks volumes." McFall sums up his column by highlighting the true value of AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil, stating the cost may be "two to three times higher than most retail conventional oils but if you can securely count on a 15,000- to 25,000-mile drain interval, it's a flat-out bargain, not to mention providing a clear environmental bonus."

I have “pages more” of trade and consumer magazine articles that all say the same thing. I also have many prestigious professional customers that use AMSOIL, both personally and in their business, some of whom are the fleet managers of some of the largest fleets in the USA, managing 5,000 or more vehicles. They have also tested other brands of oil and filters on the market using oil analysis and wouldn’t use anything but AMSOIL. It would be my pleasure to help anyone further interested in any way, whether it is technical information or the purchase of AMSOIL products. Feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Ramit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe,

I have some of the largest fleets in the US (5,000+ vehicles)using or about to use AMSOIL. Could it really be so much better that it would make a difference to folks who change their oil too often anyway? Please read my previous post.

In a nutshell, because AMSOIL products are designed to last considerably longer than other brands of synthetic lubricants, you wouldn't need to change your motor oil too often. AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 has 33% better wear protection, a greater performance increase, will maintain its benefits longer and has seven times the life of Mobil 1(for example, in non-racing applications 35,000 miles/one year vs. 5,000 for Mobil 1).

Since you would be leaving it in longer than the Mobil 1 product, AMSOIL would end up being less expensive over its' cost/life cycle. How much longer would you leave it in your Viper? If you race, you would initially determine the proper drain interval through used oil analysis. Once done, set it and forget it.

No AMSOIL tankers of crude oil. AMSOIL products are made from natural gas, grain alcohol and agricultural by-products - No dependency on foreign or domestic oil. AMSOIL products are manufactured in house (formulas are not contracted out to vendors like the major oil manufacturers do)in Superior, WI and each batch is lab tested before bottling to assure the highest quality product.
:usa:

Ramit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve,

Here is some more useful information regarding the oil licensing process:

AMSOIL API Licensing

This article was written by AMSOIL Inc. and is re-printed here so you will have a full understanding of API ratings and why not all AMSOIL lubricants are API rated.

Q. Why aren't all AMSOIL motor oils API licensed

A. Good question. AMSOIL staffers have recently read some message boards with misinformation regarding this issue. Let us address API licensing in depth, as well as the issue of warranties. Some AMSOIL motor oils are API licensed, some are not. If you're concerned about your warranty and feel pressures to use an API licensed oil, even after reading this answer, then the 5W-30 (XLF) or 10W-30 (XLT) XL-7500 or our 15W-40 (PCO) API licensed oils should be your choice. If you are looking for an alternative to frequent oil changes or just want the best performing oil for your car, then one of our top tier non-API licensed synthetic oils are for you. Read on, and decide for yourself.

API Licensing - Passenger Cars - What is it?

An API (American Petroleum Institute) license indicates that a specific motor oil formulation has passed the minimum performance standards as defined by a series of laboratory bench, physical, chemical and engine tests. These tests were selected and minimum performance standards were set by the API Lubricants Committee to address specific areas such as engine wear, deposits, fuel economy, emissions, etc. The committee is comprised of representatives from automobile, oil and additive companies. The current specification is SJ/GF-2, and in July 2001 the first use of SL/GF-3 will begin.

Costs

The cost for running a test program for a single passenger car motor oil formulation is from $125,000 to $300,000, depending on if the formula passes the tests the first time through or requires multiple test runs or formula modifications to achieve a passing average. (That amount goes to $275,000 to $500,000 for a Heavy Duty Diesel licensing program on a specific formula.) Once that testing is complete and the formula has passed all of the minimum requirements, it can be licensed for $825 per year for non-members and $625 per year for members. There is also a small royalty fee per gallon sold for all gallons over one million. The length of time between new specifications is now approximately 2 to 3 years, which does not allow a great deal of time to recover testing costs.

Who Licenses What Formulas?

Additive companies, such as Lubrizol, Ethyl,, Infinium and Oronite, develop licensed formulas that they offer to oil companies to re-license. It is inexpensive to re-license one of these formulas, and the majority of oil companies choose to do this to avoid the costs associated with testing. This, however, tends to commoditize the market. The same chemistry is being sold under many brand names. Most of the major oil companies do have their own proprietary formulas developed, tested and licensed. All of AMSOIL INC.'s lubricant formulas are unique and proprietary.

Flexibility In Manufacturing An API Licensed Formula

API licensing was originally developed for mineral based oils, and it affords these oils more flexibility than synthetic oils.

Mineral oils comprised of group I and Group II petroleum basestocks may use a simple program called basestock interchange for added flexibility in manufacturing and purchasing. Interchange means that by completing the proper paperwork and running a few minor engine tests an oil company can choose to buy these petroleum basestocks from many different suppliers. This ensures adequate supply and competitive pricing. However, basestock interchange for Group III and V synthetic basestocks is not allowed. For example, if a formula was tested with an ester (Group V) basestock from a specific supplier, then anyone blending that formula must buy only that supplier's ester. Complete engine testing would need to be performed on the formula using another supplier's ester before an oil company could buy it from that alternative supplier. This additional testing is normally not performed because of the associated costs. This inflexibility makes it very difficult for synthetic lubricant manufacturers to negotiate prices with synthetic basestock suppliers.

There is also something called viscosity grade read-across. Fortunately, this applies to both petroleum and synthetic basestocks although the better cold temperature performance of synthetics makes it more difficult to achieve in some situations. (That's another whole story.) What this means is that if you properly formulate the lubricant for which you have run all of the API tests, there are guidelines that allow you to use that same formula to make 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, etc. viscosity motor oil.

Finally, there is a rule for substitutions in the CMA (Chemical Manufacturers Association) code of practice that allows a small degree of flexibility for all formulas. It allows a company to change the percentages of components in the formula by varying amounts from the original formula with limited testing and paperwork requirements. For example, if the licensed formula used 10% of a certain V.I. improver, you would have the ability to utilize from 9% to 11% of the same V.I. improver for your formula.

Key Limitations For API Licensed Formulas

Phosphorous content - .10% maximum
(API SL; 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 viscosity grades, only)

NOACK volatility - 15% maximum

The prevalent sources of phosphorous in motor oils are additives called zinc dithiophosphates (ZDTPs). Currently, these versatile additives act as oxidation/corrosion inhibitors and aid in the ability of a lubricant to reduce wear. The automobile manufacturers, however, have demanded that lubricants contain a maximum of only .10% phosphorous. Their reason is that some manufacturers believe that higher phosphorous content levels will poison the catalytic converters on their cars before they reach 150,000 miles, which is the number of miles that their vehicles will be required to pass EPA emission standards. There has not been total agreement within the automotive and lubrication industry about whether phosphorous levels over .10% actually do harm catalytic converters in the long run. What they have failed to make allowances for is the NOACK volatility of an oil.

The maximum allowable NOACK volatility percentage for the new SL/GF-3 passenger car motor oil specification is 15%. Most of AMSOIL motor oils are in the 5% to 8% NOACK volatility range. Studies have shown there is a correlation between NOACK volatility, oil consumption and the amount of phosphorous from motor oil that will end up in the exhaust gasses. Therefore, oils with higher levels of phosphorous but with low volatility, such as AMSOIL motor oils, present no more risk to catalytic converters than low phosphorous oils with higher NOACK volatility. This has also been demonstrated for years in actual application through state mandated exhaust gas testing on our Dealers' and customers' high mileage vehicles using AMSOIL synthetic motor oils. State inspectors are continually amazed at the low emissions levels generated by vehicles using AMSOIL products. So much for poisoning catalytic converters.

AMSOIL INC. has determined that the reduced wear and extended drain intervals achievable with phosphorous levels higher than the API limit of .10% are real benefits for the consumer, and pose no risk to catalytic converters. AMSOIL motor oils, except for the API licensed XL-7500 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosity grades, all have greater than .10% phosphorous levels, and therefore, cannot be API licensed.

Why Some AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils Are API Licensed And Some Are Not

1. Full API licensing puts AMSOIL INC. in an inflexible position. Not only would we find it necessary to buy formula components from specific vendors and be at the mercy of their pricing, we would not be able to make any major improvements to the lubricant formulas for 2 to 3 years, without new testing and the associated costs. To solve this problem, the API must establish basestock interchange guidelines for synthetic basestocks just as they have for other basestocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too.

2. Full API licensing would impose strict phosphorous limitations on our motor oils. This limitation is the main reason most AMSOIL motor oils are not API licensed. AMSOIL INC. currently disagrees with this limitation and feels strongly that the reduced wear and longer oil and additive life achieved through higher levels of properly balanced phosphorous content is more important than the arbitrary API phosphorous limit that does not give any consideration to the NOACK volatility level of an oil. When chemistry is developed that will provide superior engine wear protection with reduced phosphorous levels, or Noack volatility considerations are put in place, then the phosphorous level will become a non-issue. :cool:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ramit,
AMSOIL is all about marketing.
Person to person marketing.
The product may be good but the marketing scares many people away.
Please don't use more marketing to try to convince me otherwise.

An AMSOIL pitch always has some half truths in it.

Example, You said this,

"I would like to tell you about myself. I am a fully trained and certified distributor of lubricants and filtration, not simply a salesperson. Also, I do not work for AMSOIL, and therefore, am not obligated in any way to defend them,"

Where did you get your training as a "certified distributor of lubricants"?

How do you get to be a certified distributor?

Did you get that training from AMSOIL?

If not, did you get it from a place that provides training for all AMSOIL people?

Saying you do not work for AMSOIL is misleading. You sell their product, it is the only oil you sell. You make a living selling AMSOIL.
Tell me, how would the situation change if you worked for AMSOIL?

This foolishness is exactly what I mean when I say that AMSOIL marketing scares people away.
You are a commission salesman for AMSOIL.
Do they sign your paycheck? If all you do for a living is sell AMSOIL, then they sign your check.

Why is there always some excuse for not selling, testing and marketing AMSOIL in a similar way as all the other oils?

There is always an excuse. The testing is too expensive, the certs are too limiting....
Always an excuse.

AMSOIL isn't tested and certified using industry wide methods because they do not want to be directly compared. They prefer to remain "special" with lots of hype and hokus pokus.

If AMSOIL would really make engines last longer and reduce fuel consumption, every large fleet in the country would use it.
I'll bet they have an excuse.

If AMSOIL would make a truck or a tank more reliable or travel further on a fuel load, it would be used by every military in the world.
I'll bet they have an excuse.

All of your fancy excuses as to why AMSOIL isn't in dominating the field all across the world, are simply that, excuses explaned by half truths and gobeldygook.

AMSOIL is marketing.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Re: four ball test, competitors have something to hide, etc. The OEMs drive performance requirements, so the question is if the four ball is a valid measurement, why aren't the OEMs requiring it? You are misplacing where the the performance demand comes from.

Re: starburst clone, copying a trademarked symbol. As a courtesy to the public, Amsoil should remove it simply to not confuse the public with the reason it was instituted in the first place - a recommendation from the OEMs. Amsoil does not choose to pay for it, so should not even come close to fooling people they have it. You are essentially hanging an Olympic gold medal around your neck without having been to the games.

Re: The long drain McFall article- again, the OEMs drive performance (as correctly noted, in Europe the OEMs have different requirements than in the US, but that's also because the laws are different. In Europe, OEMs are allowed to recommend brands, in the US they are essentially not allowed to.) Also in Europe, essentially all the oil changes are done at shops and dealerships at the recommended times, documented, and this documentation is passed on to the next car owner. It's a tight system. In the US, where many of us change our own oil, there's no guarantee that a car didn't go 30,000 miles on an API SA oil. Because of that, it's a much different risk assessment for OEMs to engage in long drain recommendations in the US. So the US OEMs have tried to make it as goof-proof as possible. You can't shift blame to the oil companies you compete against.

I agree one can have a good oil without an API license, you can have a good oil with a license, but you can't have a bad oil with a license. That's the defensive view the OEMs have and why they created the system.

If Amsoil wants to make product claims beyond the API level, go ahead. But to engage in a technical marketing campaign, the performance differentiation typically required in *** challenges is whether the feature provides a material customer benefit. Using that criteria, the four ball test superiority claims make no sense, given that there is no field correlation, there is no established test limit, and that no engine manufacturer requires it.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom I just love when you talk dirty (oil that is)!

Now, what about viscosity improvers. With oil companies going to 0-30 0-40, I was always under the impression that oils with the wider gap (more viscosity improvers) were not as good performance wise (in a lab of course). Have the VIs been improved over the last couple of years?

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Tom, if I am reading correctly, you are not saying that Amsoil is not a good oil; you just question their "misleading" marketing techniques. Is that a fair statement ? Where would you personally rate Amsoil among competitors ? What oil do you use ? I appreciate your extensive input. Great thread.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just wondering,
I thought Mobil 1 used to be marketed as lasting 25,000 miles between changes....I seem to remember TV ads saying you could drive around the Earth before changing oil....
BTW...Tom is the man when it comes to oils........this is good info on this thread...
Cheers,

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure both Mobil One and Amsoil are good products.... but I have to agree with Tom and Joe to some extent - the Amsoil thing is too complicated and hard for me to be bothered educating myself on it

personally i just couldn't bring myself to leave oil in a car like a Viper for 25,000 miles - even if it was safe. I'd rather change oil and filter every 3000 miles plus after a weekend of racing - because the cost is insignificant.

what would impress me is to run an oil that besides all the usual high grade attributes needed in a modern oil - has a film strength that exceeds 200,000psi so i can run fast action cam profiles PLUS has a high TBN (which eliminates all chlorinated parrifin snake oils from the equation) - and offers less friction, less wear in 0W/10 than a typical top brand 20/50 mineral oil...

Not sure such an oil exists - but they certainly do in 0W/30 and there's choices that combine both high film strength to handle very high loadings and maintain high alkaline reserves - Royal Purple, Oil Extreme, Redline, and the Australian Pro Ma.... have I missed any out?

The best racing engines typically use a non OEM oil unless they are sponsored by an OEM oil company which forces them to use it.... the OEM oil guys in top level racing typically have to tear down their engines a lot more often. OEM has no interest in producing oil that will keep road or race engines alive any longer than they consider "satisfactory" - they will however make as much power.

Nothing against them - I've used Mobil 1 5/50 and 0/40 (was a good step up from mineral oil), then went to Castrol SLX 0/30 (even better results), then to Oil Extreme concentrate added to SLX for the best results of all.... (raised TBN from 8 to 24 with film strength to 265,000psi)

but Royal Purple is used by many record holding engines as is Redline - not tried either but I will. One of them uses the same calcium carbonate molecular engineering technology that Oil Extreme inherited - but I've notbeen able to discover which one.. I suspect Royal Purple as their marketing language is similar.

Mobil One is fine until you go to a solid lifter and fast ramp... then you'll find out its weaknesses. It also does not like big tolerances where its very poor film strength shows up... but in tight tolerance engines it'll handle high rpms in racing. Lesson is the more your engine wears - on OEM oils - the faster wear will occur... that is where Amsoil etc might slow down wear.. great for worn engines - but if you run a top condition engine with hydraulic roller lifters and change the oil and filter every 3000 miles - I can't see any gain by changing the oil to Amsoil unless changing to a thinner viscosity.

formula1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I for one will not use AMSOIL. In the mid 80's to late 90's I was involved in racing heavily (road racing). We had a variety of motors in our cars, from 1.6 L Fords to Cosworth race motors. In our team we tried all of the synthetics available, including AMSOIL, as did some of our competitors. Our motors were rebuilt frequently, and were leak down tested for every hour of running. In leak down tests and subsequent teardowns by engine builders, AMSOIL-filled enigines degraded the fastest, having the worst leakdown's after an hour of running than Redline and Mobil One (I'd seen a Mobil One engine go down 3-4% after a race weekend and an identical AMSOIL engine go down 25-30%).

If AMSOIL is so good, why doesn't a major race team like McLaren, Williams, Ferrari, etc. use it? After all, with the new one engine rule, you would think they would want any competitive edge to help their engines last longer. I know, sponsorship counts but hey, there was a time when racers were sponsored by various helmet manufacturers but would take those sponsor labels and put them on Bell helmets because they knew Bell made the best helmets (of course now there are 3 or 4 really good helmet manufacturers out there). If AMSOIL was *that* good why hasn't a CART, IRL or F1 team picked up on it?

My second reason notwithstanding, it's been my personal experience and that of a number of competitors who've used AMSOIL that leads me to say I would never use it in any vehicle I own.

Just my .02.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks, guys.

ViperJoe, there two things that happen to oil; it gets thicker due to oxidation or thinner due to shear-down of the Viscosity Index Improvers. (duh.) Formulators tune the VII to stay in grade during the API engine tests, i.e. they allow some shear to counter some oxidation. Yes, that's a little fudging, because with more/better additives you can keep it from thickening or thinning in the first place, but realize it's done to stay in grade over the drain interval. That said, diesel oils would have shear stable VII, since they are used for 60,000 mile or more drain intervals. The more typical major brand mineral oils would use non-shear stable VIIs because they are cheaper. It actually makes less difference in a synthetic oil, since it uses less VII (because the base oil has a high VI.) But synthetic is a premium product, so every formulation I've seen has a shear stable VII. I got off track, though since viscosity control is a little false security, since engines die far more often from sludge blocking oil flow, deposits in ring lands, etc, than if the oil drops one grade. For a time, VII would thermally degrade and cause deposits, and oils with more VII would be "dirtier." However, ever since API SH, there are rules governing which viscosity grades are tested in which API tests - now the "worst" case oil (usually a 10W40) with the most VII has to pass, and the passing result is "read across" to the other viscosity grades. There are new chemistries that are exceptionally shear stable - you're in Richmond, know any Ethyl guys?

MountainWolf, yes the above discussion was not intended to say Amsoil or any unlicensed oil (meaning those that claim high performance, but no round trademark symbol... I am not referring to the non-detergent oils of API SA or SB) is not a good oil, I am questioning their marketing decision to use the clone of the starburst. I don't know how good they are, and maybe this isn't the thread to say so anyway. I use any of a variety of diesel engine oils, because I learned as a formulator it's 90% additives, 10% base oil. Diesel oils have at least 2X the additives that passenger car oils do, as evidenced by the string of API performance requirements they meet (API CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-2, CE, and gasoline API SJ, SL) vs a gasoline oil... API SL. I would predict that Amsoil is using a diesel additive package (given their TBN, ash are as high as they are) and then adding something on top to make the final formulation exclusive to them. Finally, synthetic gasoline engine oils often have a few diesel claims, and also some European ACEA performance, so they're in the middle.

Scott, Mobil did have long drain claims, but as they probably found out, oil changes and proper maintenance in the US is too risky. If nothing else, back then oil consumption over 25,000 miles would burn enough oil to run completely out, and if people weren't checking, Mobil would pay. It's a customer relationship issue. (I hope that) Amsoil tells people to check their oil often, they might even say to change the filter more often than the oil (so you add a fresh quart and top off) and with agressive insurance adjusters, they could ward off claims without sufficient documentation. Mobil sells too much oil to be the bad guy, so they would pay more, and a few problems with Mobil would certainly make the news. A failure with Amsoil (not predicting one, just a discussion here) would go unnoticed.

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Here's some direct experience with Amsoil -- and why I'll NEVER use it again. Put some in a Ram D-50 pickup which was already broken in and pristine condition (15K miles at that point). Ran Amsoil for 4K miles -- and it varnished the damned motor. The Amsoil base is derived from a wheat extract. Vegetable oils make for great varnishes...

Use the crap at your own risk...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh