My harmonic balancer just came off!?!!

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was not driving the car down the road at the time thank goodness. Was backing up when all PS was gone and battery light came on.

It just came off. The bold was in place. Car is at the dealership right now.

What damage, if any, could have happened to the motor? I was reading were some other motors were sent back to Arrow for inspection and rebuild after their balancer came off?

My motor was already rebuilt by them about 7K miles ago for the early 00 cylinder sleeve issue.

:confused:

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad news , it happened to an Arrow rebuild car here a few weeks ago. Crank had to come out for replacement. Arrow would not make good on the problem.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure about the arrow thing, but I know of a few people who's crank damper broke. They replaced it with another or one by ATI and had no problems with their engine.

OP
OP
M

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So would pinning the crank on ALL cars be the answer here?

YES!

My bolt did not shear off, just came out. I am hopeing Issac, the Viper Tech at Grapvine Dodge where my car is, knows to check everything to make sure the crank is not damaged.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
pinning the stock crank damper does not always work. The casting on the damper itself is weak and prone to break even if the damper is pinned.

David Weaver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And put loctite on the bolt! Arrow says they do not do this. And make damn sure it is torqued to 250 ft/lbs. I also put 2 pins in each one I do. I think Arrow may need to get their torque wrenches recalibrated!