Cincinnati Area Crash?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend told me he saw a report last night of a serious Cincinnati area crash involving a Viper. Anyone hear about it?

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Graphite:

62 year-old owner allowed another gent to drive his viper in the Colerain Township area. Owner rode along and was killed when vehicle went airborne and hit tree. Happened late last night sometime - driver is supposedly around 50 years old. That's all I've heard so far.....

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steven Olrich (deceased I think) - Dodge Viper DID hit a tree dead on. They showed the tree / car. It was horrible. Part of the tree fell on the car. HOWEVER tragic, let's not think this was a unavoidable accident. They WERE NOT WEARING their seatbelts. While I am sad, very sad, that they are gone, they thought ( as many do ) why should I wear mine? Unfortunately, one person is dead, and another injured due to them not wearing theirs.

LotsaHP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From WKRC.com: "One person was killed Tuesday night in a single car crash in Colerain Township.
Investigators said a driver lost control of a Dodge Viper on Lockwood Hill Road and hit a tree. The tree then fell on top of the car. In addition to the fatality, another person in the car was taken to an area hospital with unknown injuries. Their names were not immediately available.
Earlier Tuesday, a police chase ended in Newport with the suspect's truck crashing into an ambulance. Covington police said they started the chase when they saw a possible drug offense at the Jacob Price housing complex. The suspect left Covington, crossing into Newport.
Police said the suspect hit the ambulance while attempting a turn from 11th Street on to Central. The suspect and the ambulance driver were both taken to area hospitals for treatment. There was no patient in the ambulance at the time."

OP
OP
G

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2k, when I heard the car was red I was particularly worried.
I will sleep better if you'll promise to be really careful in your awesome car.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is so sad! My prayers are with the family.

At my first Viper Days I remember Skip telling us that 15% of Vipers were wrecked in the first 30 days of ownership and more people have been killed in Vipers than any other car ever made (based on units produced/deaths).

I will not let anyone ride in my car without the seat belt on (fun to watch them try to find it) and I put mine on no matter how short the trip.

Bill

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stomach sank when I heard about this a few minutes ago on the radio.

Very sad to hear about any loss of life...especially within the Viper community.

May he rest in peace and the other a speedy recovery.

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rick-

thanks for the concern... everyone is well on this end. i will post a pic of the new arrival (can't do it at work! :D )

talk soon.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about that drive you always promised me? Not the best timing ( with this news ) but if I am seriously considering buying this yellow Viper, driving one, even if onyl around my neighborhood or another might not be a bad idea.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if it would be in good taste for all of us to send some sort of message/note/flowers (something) to the family? Ideas?

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toby:

I agree with you. Maybe we can ifdentify the name of the person who passed and either send a floral arrangement or make a tasteful donation.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard L. Solomon (62) passed away at the scene - believe he was the owner of the vehicle. '93 RT/10. Driver is a Stephen R. Ulrich (50), still in serious condition at University Hospital. Is anyone a friend of Ulrich or the deceased? If so, that could help us decide how we should respond.

Report says no alcohol or drugs involved so apparently excessive speed may be the culprit. RIP Mr. Solomon.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toby:

I agree with you. Maybe we can ifdentify the name of the person who passed and either send a floral arrangement or make a tasteful donation.

Tomorrow I will call the hospital and maybe one of the TV stations and see if they can help get some addresses.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sorry for all involved.

Many of my customers asked about me since I drive the same kind of Viper and am in the same neighborhood.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally, I think the family of the driver, who was not the owner, would blame the car and not their relative. And to receive flowers from a viper enthusiast group may not be welcomed. Just think if the above happened on a Hayabusa and the Hayabusa club sent flowers. Would the flowers be welcomed? Right or wrong, I'm thinking they HATE vipers and I'd let it rest. JMHO.

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with Gerald on this one. I was thinking about it this morning and was thinking that the family might be resentful thinking that their loved one died in a Viper and here we all are driving around our vipers and enjoying them while he died.

It would be as if someone accidently shot your loved one and the gun club sent you flowers. Maybe if he and the family were active in the viper club and knew people and were friends with the club, but someone who was not affiliated with it... no way.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and the reason I asked...Thanks guys for another view on this..I wanted to do something but my gut said it may be looked at in a different way.

I guess the best thing to do is just say a prayer for all involved and thank God personally for every day filled with good health and prosperity.

S

SUN RA KAT

Last year a guy driving a Viper RT-10 that he was driving for the first time (test drive before buying) picked up his best friend and was going way too fast and a deer jumped out and the driver swerved to miss the deer and ended up flipping the Viper end over end several times. The passenger was killed and the driver (not wearing a seat belt) was thrown clear, but still was in critical condition. The cousin of the dead passenger is a high school student and I had her in one of my classes last week and she hates Vipers even though she knows it wasn't the car - it was the driver that killed her uncle.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald/Toby: Yes, sensible reasoning - relatives may not be viper fans and even if they WERE, they probably aren't anymore. The power of prayer is probably most appropriate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper