HELP: Door Stanchion Outer Cover Weatherstrip

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having a trouble with the weatherstrip on the Door Stanchion outer cover.
I included two pictures to illustrate the problem.

When I bought the car it already had this problem.
So I don't know when the weatherstrip separated from the cover and how the troubles stared.

However I know what causes the problem.
When the window goes up it catches the weatherstip and tears it off.

QUESTIONS:
Is there somebody who had a similar problem ?
Is there a way to adjust the window on the top of the rail ?

There is a screw in the bottom of the door to adjust the rail but I didn't see anything to adjust the rail on the top of the door.

I will use urethane to glue back the weather strip.
So on this side I know how to fix the problem.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we see those photos ?

I ask, as my 2002 had a problem with this same part, except it was just separating becuase of poor design, not sure the window was causing the problem.

Jon

Reaction score
Yes...there are MANY posts about this dating back a couple yearrs. I can't see the images...but if it is what I think it is, the rubber can only be replaced by replacing the WHOLE stanchion cover. I believe David Jenkins posted some tips to fix this. Also, I think the TRUE fix was to have the outer/inner stanchion covers replaced.....which meant the glass had to be replaced as well (at least on my 97). That made the dealership have a cow (I was JUST out of 3/36...but it was in storage due to being stationed overseas). We cut a deal and I got a set of outer stanchion covers under warrantee and plan to do the David Jenkins fix. Oh...I got the covers over 2 years ago. :) It doesn't slow the car down, so I haven't worried about it yet. :) I'll try to dig up some history for you when I get sober. :)

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the fix regarding the pictures.
I was unable to attach them to my posting.

I think the source of the problem is the poorly adjusted window's rail.

I am able to glue back the weatherstrip but I dont know how to adjust the window's rail. Even if I put a new cover the problem will still exist.

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I did a search on Stanchion. Mine is still fine and I am able to glue it back with Urethane.
I already did it once but the stupid window tore off. Urethane is great to work on weatherstrips.

However nobody covers the source of the problem which is really the power adjustment of the window.