Gen III seats installed in a Gen II (Lots of pics)

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Gen III came out, there were three things I really liked about them. The engine, brakes and seats. After reading a post by Shelby3 regarding installing SRT-10 seats in a GTS, I decided to do the same. There's no way I would have paid 4K(or what ever the dealers charged)for a set of Gen III seats. I found a pair of brand new Gen III seats for less then half the cost. With about 45 bucks in materials and some help from Shelby3, I modified the new seat rails and fabricated mounting brackets to work with my GTS.

I can tell you that the Gen III seats are far superior to the Gen II seats in comfort and construction. The construction is much more substantial, the side bolsters and the ultrasuede keep you glued in. As you can see from the pics, the seating portion is approximately 2" longer so there's more support under the thighs. A previous comparo of the two seats stated that if Gen III seats are a 10, then Gen II seats would be a 3.

The only downside I see is that its probably not the right thing for a really large person. For those who require a seat lowering kit, this is probably not for you. Because of the size and construction of the new seats, you'll probably sit slightly higher and slightly forward of the original seats. For a driver 6'2" or less and medium build or thinner, this is a great mod for a Gen II.
328viperseat001.jpg
328viperseat002.JPG
328viperseat010a.jpg
328viperseat011a.jpg
328viperseat013.JPG
328viperseat014.JPG
328viperseat015.JPG
328viperseat016.JPG
328viperseat018.JPG

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm jealous ..Those seats looks awesome :2tu:

When I was at Skip Barber I drove the SRT-10 and the lateral and Lumbar support is like night and day between the Gen II and Gen III seats.

Nice upgrade !

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like a great upgrade for the Gen II.

What did you do to handle the seat belt change between Gen II and Gen III?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like a great upgrade for the Gen II.

What did you do to handle the seat belt change between Gen II and Gen III?

There is no change required. The Gen III seat has the seat belt clip attached to the seat which you remove with one bolt. The Gen II cars have the seat belts mounted to the car which you continue to use. :2tu: :usa:

OP
OP
VPRVENM97

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Yellow,
You're right, they are night & day when compared to the Gen II seats.

jk,
I retained the original seatbelts since the anchor points are at the frame on the GTS. On the SRT, as you can see the anchor is on the seat frame. I removed the seatbelt clip from the new seat, which is held on by a torx bolt that you can see in pic #4.

edit:Looks like Shelby3 beat me to the seatbelt question. Thanks Jim.