Ran the Final Edition Today

DadsFinalEdition

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad ran his 02 Final Edition at Byron Dragway in IL. His best time was a 12.257 @ 111.97
Best 60' = 1.829
Best MPH = 113.96

Car is completely stock and has 700 miles on it and this was the first time he has drag raced...how does this match up to you other guys, really curious??? Thanks.
Austin

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look for a good 5 more mph. Keep an eye on the shift points and see what works best for you. Nice 60 foot and overall ET for first time out. A run is made or lost in the first 60 feet. After that, you just try not to screw it up by missing a shift or even a shift point.

Chad

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way 2 go! Better than some modded non-cream puff cars :)

If you want a high MPH make sure your driving through the second set of MPH lights at the end of the strip.

If you're shutting off as you cross the finish line you'll MPH lower.

practice, practice, practice ..

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotten 12.01 @ 118+ MPH with mine and that's with a 1.9 60' time.
not bad at all...do you know if any one has hit an 11 with one of these bone stock?

I've witnessed a '01 GTS all stock except cats delete & 3.55 gears run a 11.6 on stock tires with a 1.6 60' time.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty of stock 96'+ Vipers have hit 11's, with a decent launch you can hit at least 118 in the 1/4. Problem is trying to get all that freight train torque down in the begining w/o shredding the tires. A few guys have even hit high 11's in stock ZO6's, and we all know what happens to them when they encounter a Snake :2tu:

Think Popular Mechanics hit 11.7 or something like that in a completley stock GTS.

How did you guys launch?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've witnessed a '01 GTS all stock except cats delete & 3.55 gears run a 11.6 on stock tires with a 1.6 60' time.

Hmmm...I've got a 3.45 r&p waiting to go in, and seem to have misplaced my cats too :)

A 1.6 is quite a 60' time on stock tires!

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He (Rob) does it all the time. His 60' times all almost always .2 tenths faster than any other viper there. He does the greatest burnouts because he shifts during the burnout and gets in to 2nd and 3rd gear. I tried it and ended up smoking the clutch so bad I had to walk it down strip.

I think we are going out to the track this Friday night, so if anyone wants to join us, just email me.

Hmmm...I've got a 3.45 r&p waiting to go in, and seem to have misplaced my cats too :)

A 1.6 is quite a 60' time on stock tires!

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bet he is finishing in 3rd gear, you have to shift into 4th to get the high mph. I have been at byron in my '97 gts with only tubes and filters. my best was 12.1@118. I have gone 11.9@121 with my '02 with full exhaust.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooo let's see...

11.2 for the comp coupe

11.4 for the 600+hp RSI Gen III

11.6 for a cream puff w/ a gear and exhaust ... (put some Hoosiers on the cream puff and see what happens)

Only .4 sec difference between a stocker and the CC?
You probably couldn't say 'comp coupe' in .4sec

OP
OP
D

DadsFinalEdition

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet he is finishing in 3rd gear, you have to shift into 4th to get the high mph. I have been at byron in my '97 gts with only tubes and filters. my best was 12.1@118.">12.1@118.</a> I have gone <a href="mailto:11.9@121 with my '02 with full exhaust.
oh really, you have to shift into 4th, i know he was saying he was finishing in 3rd, so that may be the problem...i think i am going to get him the tubes and filters for father's day..hopefully with shifting into forth and a decent launch we can shoot for a 11.99!!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Third gear is good for 117-118mph at 6k rpm but not sure a stock motor will be very efficient up that high. Fourth gear at 4k rpm probably pulls a lot harder than third gear at 5500+ rpm, although the shift will lose some time. Remember, it is all about the ET, not the mph, so concentrate on lowering ET and not increasing mph and you could be looking at the elevens.

Chad

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember too that leaving the line the instant the light's green isn't as important as leaving the line well (good 60' time). Your ET doesn't start until you leave the starting line. Starting second might cost you a race against a car as fast as yours, but your ET wouldn't be affected...

OP
OP
D

DadsFinalEdition

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Third gear is good for 117-118mph at 6k rpm but not sure a stock motor will be very efficient up that high. Fourth gear at 4k rpm probably pulls a lot harder than third gear at 5500+ rpm, although the shift will lose some time. Remember, it is all about the ET, not the mph, so concentrate on lowering ET and not increasing mph and you could be looking at the elevens.

Chad
Thanks for the help..I will pass the info on to my Dad!

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ask anyone that has run in the 11's if they finished in 3rd gear, The motors powerband is in the midrange. Try shifting into 4th and it's a whole new race. your times are the same as a z06 with drag radials, good off the line but not enough power.

OP
OP
D

DadsFinalEdition

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ask anyone that has run in the 11's if they finished in 3rd gear, The motors powerband is in the midrange. Try shifting into 4th and it's a whole new race. your times are the same as a z06 with drag radials, good off the line but not enough power.
so you are saying that shifting into 4th earlier would be the best bet?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh