cat delete - I found the cheapest way possible to do this

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: cat delete - PICS!

Okay, in that case, the O2 **** is exactly the same as the threading on a 95 Mustang...hehehe

Looks like I have a little project to do this weekend now.....

THANKS for the info/pics.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casper Electronics sells plug-in rear sims for about $125 :)

I went to their site and used their chat room thing to ask the tech if they worked on cars with no cats. The tech said NO, they only work on cars with high-flow or stock cats. I specifically listed the application and he told me that it wouldn't fool the computer and the car would run really rich.

So how hard is it to splice up and wire the Roe ones?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casper Electronics sells plug-in rear sims for about $125 :)

I went to their site and used their chat room thing to ask the tech if they worked on cars with no cats. The tech said NO, they only work on cars with high-flow or stock cats. I specifically listed the application and he told me that it wouldn't fool the computer and the car would run really rich.

So how hard is it to splice up and wire the Roe ones?

That tech is not right... I called them up, and they said it would work. I bought them, and they definitely work (I have no cats). Much easier (and cleaner) to install than the Roe sims (which I had on my last Viper).

https://www.casperselectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Dodge

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long have you been using them? Did your gas mileage, improve, decrease, or stay the same...before and after?

Thanks.

EDIT: Why does it say this on the product page though. It doesn't mention anything about NO cats....

"Restores MIL indicator function when used along with a hi-flow cat and factory sensor. Pair is used on Mopar vehicles 1996-2000 which have two cat's and two sensors. Restores MIL when vehicle is modified with hi-flow cat, headers, hi-flow exhaust, etc. Pair is used for dual-cat applications. FOR OFF-ROAD USE only."

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long have you been using them? Did your gas mileage, improve, decrease, or stay the same...before and after?

Thanks.

In order to answer your question, I'll have to admit that I keep track of gas mileage with a spreadsheet for all of my cars. I can honestly say that gas mileage has been about the same mpg for all three Vipers, for stock cats, hi flows, and no cats.

Let me know if you want me to email you my spreadsheet... all I do is type in my receipt info, and it calculates a bunch of statistics for me...

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, that's fine. The tech told me "your gas mileage will suffer tremendously because you will be running really rich."

That sounds to me like something you would just notice, whether you had a spreadsheet or not.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey guys,
can I do this on my gen 1 half bred mongrel 96RT without the sims?
Nice job Joseph, ever thought about a career in exhausts? :2tu:

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

BTW- borla w/ no cats isn't that loud at all.

That might be fine for Gen 2's, but the Borla 3" mufflers with the 3" high flow cats (from S.Roe) are loud as all hell on a Gen 1, when you are sitting just above your exhaust outlets. I like the car to be loud, but this setup is TOO dayum loud.

I wonder how much louder it will be if I do a cat delete? :confused:

Otherwise, I may end up having to do something completely different. Any suggestions?

...BUMP...anyone?

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd have responded to you earlier but I thought you might just think i'm blowing hot air! HAH!

96 RT (in fact any Gen I) shouldn't need O2 Sims... And since you got a 96 RT you should be good to go!

JD

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joseph: You posted earlier that you were going to do before/after dyno results. Did you ever get those results?

I just ordered some 3" aluminum coated steel bead rolled exhaust pipe from Summit Racing (couldn't find any in the local stores), Dynomax muffler band clamps, and I also ordered the O2 sims from Caspers. The band clamps are polished with Grade 8 bolts.

I'll post pics/info of when I do my version of the install. We should make this thread a sticky, since it has definitely been one of the most helpful I have read.

EDIT: Here are the parts...
1 pair of Casper sims (go to the link earlier in this thread) $119
1 piece of 3" x 4 ft. 16 gauge pipe from Summit $13.95 (part number SUM-640030)
2 3" Dynomax 360 degree band exhaust clamps $8.50 each (part number WLK-33278)

Shipping was about 15 bucks total for both orders.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i made too many changes w/ this car between hi-flow cats and non to be able to dyno...

Sorry about that...

JD

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hey all, yesterday I bought the autozone 18" pipe and took the sill off. I notice, or it seems that the 18" pipe is about 2-4" to short for my 2002. I this the norm? Does the NAPA clamp fill in the gap? Is it ok with all the pressure? Thanks in advance.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you remove the cats, or just the sills? What you'll do is cut off the cats, leaving as much of the flex pipe as possible which connects to the front end of the Autozone pipe. I can't remember what the front end of the stock exhaust looks like... you might have to add a reducer on the rear end of the Autozone pipe to connect it.

What I did on my most recent cat removal for a friend was flare both ends of the Autozone pipe, and fit them over the other pipes (heaader and exhaust pipes were both 3"). There was no gap.

Keep in mind that in JD's pics, he has a 3" header pipe on the front. You'll probably have the stock 2.5" flex pipe. So, you'll need a reducer on the front end of the Autozone pipe.

Make sense? If not, PM me and I'll walk you through it...

95RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Has anyone done this on a Gen I, if so how loud is it and is it worth the hp gain? cooler interior? weight savings? I have a 95 and was told that Borla 3" cat back system. Was going to pull sills to verify.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exhaust does smell, and it does make your back bumper dirtier quicker without the cats to block the soot. As for burning your eyes, not sure... I never put my face up to the exhaust :)

Seriously, though, it never bothered me even at stoplights.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With a SC sectup, it never stank at all. didn't even notice a smell. on some side-pipe cars, i noticed.

JD

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a supercharger on as well... I could definitely smell it. It smelled good, though :)