cat delete - I found the cheapest way possible to do this

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was going to have a muffler shop cut me some 3" pipe for my cat-delete project... but since I'm cutting out high-flow cats, I might want to put them back on...

So I headed to autozone just to see what they have.

3" pipe, 18" - 5 bucks. I bought two.

Two clamps - 10 bucks each.

Total cost for exhaust parts - $30.

And it looks great.

If the pipe rusts, for $10 I can replace them.

JD

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why only two clamps? Wouldn't you need two for each pipe? Or does the GTS have only one cat? I thought the RT/10 had two ( obvious reasoning. )

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to do that too, but does'nt the computer try to run the engine super rich without the cats??
Has anyone gotten the check engine light on the dash after the cat delete?

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only needed 2 clamps b/c I had 2 that were used previously from the headers to the cats. For someone with a system welded all the way through, you'd need 4 clamps.

As for the 02s, you need 02 sims to keep the computer codes from coming on... RoeRacing sells them... those are the ones I'm using.

JD

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where do you install the O2 sims and how much are they?

Thanks for the good info!

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O2 Sims I got from a local VCA member who was going to hi-flow cats. New you can get them from roeracing.com .

The way they install is quite simple... remove your stock O2 sensors. Cut the wires between the harness and the sensor. Then splic the 4 wires from the 02 sims to the wiring harness. Then put them back on the car and tie-wrap them and / or tape them out of the way. You'll also want to get a "plug" for the hole from the 02 sensors since these will be empty. The plugs were $2 each and threaded perfectly.

I'll be at the dyno this weekend so I'll post results on the difference between between the WITH cats and W/O hi-flow cats...

JD

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SWEET!!! mine is a 97......are you sure?

Thanks again,
Ted

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casper Electronics sells plug-in rear sims for about $125 :)

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was VERY amazed at how the pipes looked! It was Sunday, so all the muffler shops were closed. I remember seeing pipes at Autozone, but these fit PERFECTLY.

JD - You shouldn't have posted this. We could have sold a cat-delete kit for $100 :)

Oh, and as a reference. The O2 ********* plugs are 18mm x 1.5

You can get them at muffler shops... should be around $2 each.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: cat delete - PICS!

Someone asked me about how well this sucker seals... so here are all the parts you need to have. Note that the pieces in between the NAPA part are both 3" pipes... the left side of my Autozone pipe was built to receive a 3" pipe... evne better!

3791-med.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks! I couldn't have done it w/o Linh (Achilles99) who'd done it the hard way before.

Suffice to say, the tricks are as follows:

a - get that NAPA clamp
b - under that clamp, put tin foil
c - in the middle of the tin foil, put a bead of muffler repair / sealant. It compresses out, but will form a nice seal inside.
d - torque the clamp bolts to 90 ft lbs

That's it. Makes for an easy install!

JD

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What does this do to emissions testing. Mass is very strict about removal and even replacing of Cats? Will the car pass an emissions test?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, I was amazed at how well this came out! I recently did the opposite (removed straight pipes, put in high flow cats) with ChrisGTS' help (until 4am, I might add!), and we found out a few tricks that helped JD and I with his install.

To add to JD's tips, we put the sealant underneath the foil, and then "pasted" the foil around the pipe joint. Then, we put the clamp on top of that. The exhaust paste dries rock hard. The clamps seal pretty tightly, but with almost 900 rwhp, better to be safe than sorry :) Oh, and the clamps are 60-75 ft lbs, which come out 90 newton meters, wasn't it JD?

The flared pipe from Autozone was built for a Viper cat delete, but only if you have 3" pipe coming from the header. On mine, I had to use a reducer.

As for the sound... it's GREAT!

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What does this do to emissions testing. Mass is very strict about removal and even replacing of Cats? Will the car pass an emissions test?

Emissions will be fine since we added O2 sims. It's hard to see the cats on a Viper without removing the sidesills... does Mass. do that on your Viper?

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The mass standards are the same as here in metro atlanta, The sims trick the OBD @ into thinking the cats are there, You will be surprised how clean the car can be, In Ga on OBD cars if the check engine lite is on you will fail automaticly, hence the sims. On non obd cars the sniffer & rolling road is used so you may fail on the early cars if the cats are off. On my Ferrari, when I lived in mass it always failed...untill I ripped all the usa smog stuff off & installed the euro set up ( no cats) & keep it tuned it passed with flying colors.

S

Stang7900

I was told by ROE Racing today, that you do not need O2 sims on a 99, and to save my money. Only 2000 and up. Can anybody verify this for me?
I will be cutting out my stock cats next week. Do you think it will be louder than an aftermarket cat back borla. BTW- I have the snake oyl muffler delete pipe installed

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was told by ROE Racing today, that you do not need O2 sims on a 99, and to save my money. Only 2000 and up. Can anybody verify this for me?
I will be cutting out my stock cats next week. Do you think it will be louder than an aftermarket cat back borla. BTW- I have the snake oyl muffler delete pipe installed

No cats and a cat-back with no muffler? Nah, that won't be loud! :2tu:

Blazin' Blue Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have a 97 GTS and removed my cats last November. I used the same Autozone supplies. The check engine light never appeared and the car is 15 degrees cooler inside now. Not to mention the sound is awsome. I got a waiver in MD for emissions becuase my car cannot get over the rollers to be hooked up to the OBD port

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW- borla w/ no cats isn't that loud at all.

Here is the pic that was originally in this post a long time ago...

911-med.jpg

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

When I was young and dumb, I busted out the cat's mono-lith with a hammer and a rod. Thats the quickest, cheapest cat delete you can do.

Uh, until you need to pass smog, then you gotta buy another cat. Then it becomes the most expensive cat delete method.

I don't wanna talk about it! :)

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

BTW- borla w/ no cats isn't that loud at all.

That might be fine for Gen 2's, but the Borla 3" mufflers with the 3" high flow cats (from S.Roe) are loud as all hell on a Gen 1, when you are sitting just above your exhaust outlets. I like the car to be loud, but this setup is TOO dayum loud.

I wonder how much louder it will be if I do a cat delete? :confused:

Otherwise, I may end up having to do something completely different. Any suggestions?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joseph: So you have had this setup for a year, right? Any problems so far? Have you had to adjust anything (like rattling pipes)?

Very impressive. This looks like something I can do on my own.

By the way, you should be able to use a spark plug to block an O2 ****. I used an old spark plug base on my Mustang, and it threaded right in. I just busted the porcelain part of it out and screwed it right in. It'll save ya a couple bucks.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been running this for about a year, yah. no issues. no rattling... passed emissions...

O2 **** is _almost_ the same as a spark-plug... talk to ViperRich or 1tony1 about that... :)

Joseph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper