How much more HP with these mods?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I would ask some of you your opinion on this. I have a 94 RT and am wondering how much of a horsepower increase could I expect with the following mods: 1.7 rockers, new cam, head work, corsa headers and high flow cats and mufflers? Was told by the person that is going to do the work that he plans on using heads off of a 97 GTS if that is helpful. I don't even know what my car pulls on the dyno so what are stock hp #'s for my car? I would like to be in the 500hp range, is it possible with these mods? Thanx guys for all the info you can provide. :D
PS...I have decided against the Roe blower for now. I want to wait and see if any problems arise from putting a blower on a gen1 car.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radical cam or mild cam? Radical head work or mild head work?

Regardless, with the correct rockers and exhaust, smoothies and filters, you should be very near or over 500hp

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 w/ headers (Valaya), 1.7's, hi-flo cats, and Borla's is making about 420 at the rear wheels. 500 RWHP by adding heads and cam to that would be a lot (I would think).
Also, I have seen some pretty low "before" numbers from Gen 1's - HP in the 355 range. I think it would be very difficult to get 145HP out of those mods. Get a baseline before you do anything else!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you buy the 1.7 rockers. Check to see if your cam needs them.
You may be able to get all the extra lift that you need from the new cam.

Lift from the cam is lots easier on lifters, push rods and rockers than lift from increased rocker ratio.

The mods you list will probably produce their extra hp at high rpm.
Depending on the cam, the higher power may be in a fairly narrow rpm band.
You may even have less torque and hp at low rpm than you do now.
What I'm saying is that these mods may make the car less fun to drive on the street.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen2 heads on Gen1 engine...no way.
Mild port, 225dur/585lift 114 dur, Belangers etc, about 550hp

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
550hp? up from 400hp? Wow, too bad they didn't make them that way to start with.
That sounds like a big jump to me.

JP, If I had to guess, and that's all it would be, a guess, I'd say the dyno numbers would go from the stock 375 rwhp to 425 rwhp with those mods you mentioned.

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx for the input guys, you all make some valid points. I am no mechanic by any means, I am depending on the person doing the install. I am going to have my car dyno'd to get a baseline at where I am at for HP. I know I could get lots of HP if I bolted a blower but am waiting on that for a while. As soon as I find out exactly what this mechanic wants to do and the parts he wants to use, I will post another thread and let you know. :D

Larry94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 RT with a cam, stage 2 heads, jesel RR, belanger headers, no cats, and Borla exhaust. On the dyno I make 480 RWHP. My air/fuel ratio is running 14-14.5 so I believe I can get close to 500RWHP when I add a Vec-2 which is on order

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry, who did the work and what did it cost if I may ask? Also, how much louder from stock is it? I too would get a VEC2 or basically everything you did to your car.

Larry94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John and Jason at West Coast Viper in Temecula, Ca. did all the work with the exception of the smooth tubes, K&N's,and 3" SS exhaust with cat delete and Borla muffler. The latter I got at Northwind Engineering and installed myself.He also included the 180 thermostat, silicon radiator hoses, new head bolts and pushrods, and aluminum flywheel (since the engine was out anyway). Believe it or not, this all started when I needed to replace the failing head gasket. Things just got out of hand. If you check out their website at http://www.westcoastviper.com/ you can get a pretty good idea regarding the cost excluding labor. It's definetely much louder than stock. The sound of the cam alone is priceless. Once I get my Vec-2, I'll have Jason install and program it on their dyno.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave