How do the factory headers compare to after market headers?

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JW -- I'll be able to tell you EXACTLY how much in about two weeks. It'll be the only upgrade between dyno pulls. Will let you know. (96 RT/10)

Mike

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He asked if the factory headers were that bad. I'm just saying they are not that bad.

You will get HP gain from headers and exhaust. Probably somewhere between 20 - 35. Headers only will be less. Having side exhaust prepare for some loudness.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
He asked if the factory headers were that bad. I'm just saying they are not that bad.

You will get HP gain from headers and exhaust. Probably somewhere between 20 - 35. Headers only will be less. Having side exhaust prepare for some loudness.

CHuck, thanks Im sure you will gain no matter what car but was just trying to see if you knew if there was any truth to what some are telling me in that the Gen I exhausat manifold design is inferrior to the Gen II in that Gen II is a lot closer to that of an aftermarket header design thus a Gen I upgrade wwould see more benefit. Looking to upgrade my system along with rear shortly.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the year of GenII as well. The creampuff cars had a little better header than the earlier GenII's.

Here is a comparison of a stock '01 header setup to a Belanger aftermarket header.

You must be registered for see images

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni Cone did some excellent analysis comparing the later Gen II headers to Gen I. Along with a possible slightly better flow she discovered the 98 and newer headers were 23lbs lighter if I recall correctly. Based on her conclusions I have a set of the newer headers that I will someday get around to installing on my 97 for just a bit more than shipping cost. I'm just not prepared to spend the high price on long tubes right now. Somebody revive me when they are more reasonably priced.

The highest increase I've heard of with long tubes and exhaust upgrade is 43hp. But I think most are around 30hp.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that is what I was trying figure out, a lot Gen II stock one's around for very cheap, If I can pick up 15HP or so and put on the whole Roe Cat back to the sides, well not much diff other than maybe $800 vs $2500 for say 15HP. Can GEN II bolt on to my 95 ? Would love to put the $ toward new HRE's and rubber. Just an angle for me to look at, thanks....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can install the later Gen II on an early Gen II or Gen I. Some modifications are required. For Gen I's the connections between the exhaust flanges need to be cut off as they interfere with the Gen I head bolts. You also either need to get the Gen II turnouts (90 turn with flexible link) or make a new one as the connection changes.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I do have a set of B&B's basically brand new, I was going to use them, but the car I got had TNT's. I had them Jethotted(over $400) for the cooler engne compartment. If you want a REALLY good set of headers, PM me.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Gen 2 headers on my -93, 3" exhaust and smooth tubes.
410HP/477TQ

I had to cut the lower bars off, piece of cake.

I bought them from E-bay for 75 bucks.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I do have a set of B&B's basically brand new, I was going to use them, but the car I got had TNT's. I had them Jethotted(over $400) for the cooler engne compartment. If you want a REALLY good set of headers, PM me.

Send them to me or I'll post the vid of your 39-second 100-yard sprint...Forrest.

It's not blackmail, I'm making an offer you can't refuse.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score

PM sent

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Send them to me or I'll post the vid of your 39-second 100-yard sprint...Forrest.

It's not blackmail, I'm making an offer you can't refuse.

Oh you bastage! :mad: That one will haunt me, but also motivated to "go runnin" :D :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave