Tar and bugs on my yellow car

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the very short time I've owned this car I've learned something about yellow paint. It may not show the dust like black, but it sure as heck shows every little speck of road tar and bug guts. I mean EVERY speck.

So, with that said, what is the best product to assist in cleaning the above off WITHOUT eating the clear coat? Many of the violators can be cleaned off with just a wet towel, but what about the stubborn ones. Any ideas?

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 8 coats of Zaino the bugs that decide to commit hari-kari against my car just slide right off! Most can be blasted off with a hose, any remaining wipe off with the Z-6.

Try Zaino, PIA to put on but looks great and last a long time.

Bill

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, with that said, what is the best product to assist in cleaning the above off WITHOUT eating the clear coat? Many of the violators can be cleaned off with just a wet towel, but what about the stubborn ones. Any ideas?

Clay bar. After you wash the car, while its still wet, run the clay bar over the surface and you'll see how much cr@p washing didn't remove. Some use detailing spray as a lubricant so the clay doesn't smear. Spraying on water as a lubricant works good to. You'll be amazed at how smooth and clean the surface is after the clay bar. Now you're ready for the Zaino or Meguiars.

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clay is the most gentle way. if tar is very heavy you can also use mineral spirit to get it off. It won't remove any of the paint from the car.

Always follow up with several coats of wax.

Bill
13 years detailing experiance.

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used the Meguier's Bug Wipes on my yellow and they work well, also Stoner Tarminator helps with the tar.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Youre just not driving fast enough !!!

Yellow is a B*&^TCH with bugs though, get the front a lot of wax of choice and use the Zaino spray as another recommend and it gives you a 2 second cleanup each time.

You could always buy one of those big SUV bug screens on the front, but you would be the first. ;)

yellow94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...even the bugs love yellow! Have you noticed that on a sunny day they seem to congregate around it when it's standing still?

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...even the bugs love yellow! Have you noticed that on a sunny day they seem to congregate around it when it's standing still?

I hear ya Chris !! Sometimes it gets so bad on a sunny day I feel like my car is getting Violated..LOL

They think its a Big Sunflower !

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a bunch of tar on my car. I used Turtle Wax bug and tar remover. I washed the car and dried it. Then applied the cleaner with my finger and gently rubbed the tar mounds. The product actually dissolved the tar and then I wiped it off with a towel. I then followed up with a coat of wax.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another member of this board gave me a gentle heads up about yellow cars attracting bugs. I didn't think much about it because it was the color I wanted. I have no regrets about the color, but he was right, they are oddly attracted to it.

Now I'm working on another species being attracted to the car. Maybe you have them in your area: about 5'5" tall, 105 lbs., hour glass shape and a little top heavy, long hair and tan. Welcome in, on or around my car anytime.

yellow94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow Fever,
(They think its a Big Sunflower!)
LOL! I agree! It's parked between a red RT/10 and a Blue and White 96 and guess what? All the bugs are swarming around my yellow 94. They love it as much as I do!! And for you it must be terrible!! I have only 50 sunny days per year while you have over 300!!! Yikes!!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
If you <font color="yellow"> Yellow Guys </font> had faster Vipers -you wouldn't even notice the bugs. Seems like the bugs just disintegrate into oblivion after hitting the <font color="red"> RED ! </font>

It's been a while since a good "Which color is fastest thread" so I thought I'd pour some gas on this <font color="yellow">YELLOW thread! </font>

:laugh:

I love the bugs cause it means that I've been doing some spirited driving!

MightyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was wondering about the yellow and bugs... wasn't sure until one day I waxed both a blue Jeep and my yellow RT at the same time. Not a single bug could car about the jeep but I had at least a dozen variations of insect checking out the yellow. My wife thinks it's a riot that the bugs enjoy my yellow "flower"...

Greg
02 RT/10

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Rocket Even if the Red ones were faster the Yellow ones look faster and that's what counts. I thought the bugs were bad until I parked under a tree in my front yard. In about 4 hours time I think every bird around had crapped on my Yellow Viper, mainly on the black strips.
Tim

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, my teenage daughter took that after a rain storm. I use it on my busines cards for my studio and advertising. It would be fun to take a business trip to Calif and take some viper pix of who ever wants them. We use to live in Hemet so talking my California native wife and 3 teen daughters into taking a trip out there isn't too hard.
Tim

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geesh....How is it that every time there's a post regarding Yellow, all the yellow guys jump in and it turns into a Yellow slumber party. :D You guys have early warning radar alerting you every time there's a "Yellow" post?

It cracks me up. :D Yellow guys must have the most e-camaraderie of any color. I actually enjoy and get a kick out of all those, "yellow is faster", "yellow attracts more bugs", "yellow attracts more chicks"..... posts.
Just remember, yellow attracts more yellow jackets too!

Pictureman,

Your avatar is one of the best I've seen. It's definitely professional quality. Either you've taught your daughter well or just she inherited the right genes. Is she planning on following your footsteps or shooting as a hobby?

If you do plan a business trip to CA, make sure to include the northern part of the state. :2tu:

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave , judging by your avatar it looks like you know your way around a camera also :2tu:

Were did you take that picture ?? Capitola Beach area ?

Cheers

Jeff

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"...It cracks me up. Yellow guys must have the most e-camaraderie of any color. I actually enjoy and get a kick out of all those, "yellow is faster", "yellow attracts more bugs", "yellow attracts more chicks"..... posts.
Just remember, yellow attracts more yellow jackets too!..."

AND,lets not forget that yellow responds to mods better too. :cool:

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave , judging by your avatar it looks like you know your way around a camera also :2tu:

Were did you take that picture ?? Capitola Beach area ?

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, pretty good guess. It was a little south of Capitola. Carmel by the Sea, near Pebble Beach. :cool:

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhh..Near the good Old "17 Mile Drive !" ..I was there this past weekend.

Exactly! :2tu: Was just cruisin' through the hood. What a beautiful place, sure wish I lived there.

Sorry for the hijack....Getting back on track....Clay bar and wax the whole car and you'll be happy. Ever notice all the bugs that commit suicide on the rear of the car around the license plate and tail lights? Must be a serious low pressure area there sucking the bugs in. Of course yellow vipers will have more bugs there too. :D

Clown Shoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A product called bug and tar remover works very well, and as Dave above says, WD 40 is also very good.

Ghetto