Supercharger

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well....I did it! I put a deposit on a 1999 Silver GTS today. I'll take delivery Monday. I think I made a good deal at $48,000 for a 9300 mile car. I bought it from a Vette dealer. I am going to Supercharge it...but first I will do breathing, exhaust and ignition work. ANd wheels and tires, can't forget that! What is the better S/C, Roe, Paxton or who?

Bruce

PS: How do I ad an avitar?

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the modding begins.........do some searches for your answers to these questions. Paxton=Power , Roe=less problems and better support.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where does DLM stack up in the supercharger standings, i always thought DLM was like the pinnacle of superchargers for vipers

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
where does DLM stack up in the supercharger standings, i always thought DLM was like the pinnacle of superchargers for vipers

DLM (DL = Doug Levin M = Motorsports) is a tuner who provides supercharger packages. The supercharger he uses is the Paxton NOVI 2000 (I think - he or one of his customers will clarify) but he does a customized installation and tuning package, of which the supercharger is the main part, not the whole.

Whether or not he is the best can (and has been) argued until everyone is blue in the face. Jason Heffner can (and has been) also be touted as the best tuner with the best supercharger package. From what I've read and seen, anyone would be happy with either package. You'll rarely, if ever, see a customer complain about either tuner. With those two, the choice probably comes down to geography.

For a DIY kit, Roe seems to be the hands down favorite. Again, I've been lurking the Viper sites for over a year now and can only recall one complaint against Roe, which he tried to remedy but the other party seemed rather obstinate about the matter.

And now that I've regurged my accumulated hearsay on the subject of superchargers, I'll return to lurking.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good regurging, i was unaware DLM used paxtons. Well i guess the paxton is the way to go in my book, preferentially. Also try to get some videos of the two chargers as they also make two very different sounds in my opinion, the Roe has that trademark supercharger whine, whereas the paxton just has that jet engine intake whoosh of air. I prefer the whoosh.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good regurging, i was unaware DLM used paxtons. Well i guess the paxton is the way to go in my book, preferentially. Also try to get some videos of the two chargers as they also make two very different sounds in my opinion, the Roe has that trademark supercharger whine, whereas the paxton just has that jet engine intake whoosh of air. I prefer the whoosh.

You virtually don't hear the Roe. It's super quiet. Unless your outside the car and someone nails it taking off.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, you're definitely off on the sounds. The Roe is basically silent (unless you're standing in front of 1Tony's car coming down the dragstrip anyway :) ), and the Paxton is like the other centrifugals, it makes a constant whistling sound that is more noticeable at idle than anywhere else.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DLM (DL = Doug Levin M = Motorsports) is a tuner who provides supercharger packages. The supercharger he uses is the Paxton NOVI 2000 (I think - he or one of his customers will clarify) but he does a customized installation and tuning package, of which the supercharger is the main part, not the whole.

Whether or not he is the best can (and has been) argued until everyone is blue in the face. Jason Heffner can (and has been) also be touted as the best tuner with the best supercharger package. From what I've read and seen, anyone would be happy with either package. You'll rarely, if ever, see a customer complain about either tuner. With those two, the choice probably comes down to geography.

For a DIY kit, Roe seems to be the hands down favorite. Again, I've been lurking the Viper sites for over a year now and can only recall one complaint against Roe, which he tried to remedy but the other party seemed rather obstinate about the matter.

And now that I've regurged my accumulated hearsay on the subject of superchargers, I'll return to lurking.
Dlm simply equals the best built engine, best reliability, best looks, meanest sounding car, and most important most powerful boost only cars in the world!!! Not a car for the faint of heart. When that boost builds you better grab your balls as they will end up in your throat lol. Doug is all about customizing and uniqueness!!! No two Dlm cars are identical as no two people here are identical. He constintly strives to improve his system which is nuts considering he is by far the best tuner in the Viper community!!! He built me the most wild and badd ass **** out in viper land and I was stupid enough to sell it :(
Mike

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dlm simply equals the best built engine, best reliability, best looks, meanest sounding car, and most important most powerful boost only cars in the world!!! Not a car for the faint of heart. When that boost builds you better grab your balls as they will end up in your throat lol. Doug is all about customizing and uniqueness!!! No two Dlm cars are identical as no two people here are identical. He constintly strives to improve his system which is nuts considering he is by far the best tuner in the Viper community!!! He built me the most wild and badd ass **** out in viper land and I was stupid enough to sell it :(
Mike

You sold your car???? When? After BG? Man your car was nice. :confused:

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have never heard a ROE S/C Viper...but, I rode in BlownGTS's 96 (Paxton) on 5/21. There was absolutely NO blower whine, whistle, or any other noise...in and out of the car and with the hood opened and closed.

You could hear my Vortech coming from a block away, but the Paxton was silent.

I have a sound byte of BlownGTS's car but don't know how to post it on here. Would be glad to email it to anyone interested.

Mike in NC

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do we want it to be silent? I think Not! When I supercharge, I want people to know I'm a Com in! Hell we pay GOOD $$ and Rarely get to use them on the streets without major Stress of being ticketed. So let me pull up to my bro's and sound Cool. :cool:

515Dad_s_Picture_s2_033-thumb.jpg

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MilesB...my vortech was a model S on a 1994 383 vette. It was installed in 1998. The noise was a combination whine and whistle. Sounded great to me!!! I was just so surprised to NOT hear any S/C sound on the 96 GTS last Friday.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine UK GTS has one the best video's of what a Roe S/C sounds like coming straight at you.

Cudaman :usa:

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, thanks.. I really do want to hear it, but over here the police are real tight on modified cars :( Putting this on a V8 Lexus. Idling at a stop light, how loud is it? Would a cop car sitting next to me hear it much, you think? If it's much louder than, say, an electric radiator fan, I'll probably have to go for one of their quieter units. It's a toss-up between the V1 T-trim with straight cut noisy gears and the V2 SQ E-trim with helical quiet gears.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Superchargers are not loud at all. Even the biggest, baddest gear-driven type aren't as loud as a borla or B&B exhaust. My DLM car is the ultimate sleeper... it has some muscle to it but it isn't unbearably loud. In fact, the wife and I today went out for a cruise with the top off. We had the radio on and were having a conversation... of course, she doesn't know that the cats are no longer attached... :)

JD

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Miles B...even though I sold the blown vette last year, I still have the info, pics, and a sound track of it on a website. Look it up at: http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/quickvette and turn your sound up!!! If you used the same unit I had, the cop sitting next to you couldn't miss it...even sitting at the NEXT stop light.

Good luck with your selection... Mike

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MilesB...my vortech was a model S on a 1994 383 vette. It was installed in 1998. The noise was a combination whine and whistle. Sounded great to me!!! I was just so surprised to NOT hear any S/C sound on the 96 GTS last Friday.
S-trim V-1??...yeah those are loud....the new V-2 is quiet...

Anthony

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great, thanks.. I will go for the Super Quiet.. if the cops can hear it, and it sounds even kinda loudish, I'll be looking at non-stop EPA tickets and tests :(

Such a shame.. nothing is better than watching someone start a car with a straight cut supercharger gearbox, or a toothed belt drive, and seeing people's heads snap around... "what the #$%@ is that?!"

Jakers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the original owner of a 99 GTS which I installed a Paxton and air to water intercooler.It runs better than it ever has including idle.It makes just a little whine as it excelerates but is otherwise quiet.It has the stock exhaust, but with a super tune (Sean Hyland motorsports) it produced 621 HP at the wheels.This is the best thing I've ever done to the car. Good luck!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have done numerous supercharging systems and can help with custom packages and tuning. Please feel free to call us.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I about fell out of my chair...$48K for a 1999...then I saw it was a 2004 thread...whew..! Probably a good deal back then.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
confirm with chuck tator for info. but i believe this LIRacer is the gy who stuck tators dodge for some money

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth