Evap Emissions System Test Port? Check Engine light shows leak...

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My check engine light just started to come on about every week or so due to an "evap leak" (shown on my OBDII scanner). I took it in to the dealer for a look under the extended warranty. They had to remove the front fascia to get to the test port. Is there another port available to use?

When they hooked the smoke machine up to the test port, they saw smoke coming out of the rear passenger wheelwell. To get to that part, they said they would have to get to the gas tank. That requires drilling out the pop rivets, and breaking the glue seal on the metal access panel. Is this the only way???

What's worse is that the dealer wants $800 to get to the fuel tank, and if it's an emissions hose that has a leak, it's not covered under warranty. Only if the fuel pump is leaking will they cover it.

To make matters worse, they charged me $200 to remove the fascia and test for the leak. Then, they put my fascia on VERY crooked. I have to bring it back to their bodyshop to get it re-aligned. They were too busy, and said to bring it back in two weeks.

Now, I usually have JD doing the work... but he left to work for Global BMW. Needless to say, I'm very unhappy right now...

Has anyone run into this problem? My OBDII scanner says it's an "Evap Small Leak", and sometimes it says "Evap Gross Leak." The dealership said the charcoal canister was fine. I'm wondering if a hose came loose in the back. It passed emissions last month, so I'm wondering if this is a nuisance that I'll just have to live with!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that problem 1 other time and it was the evap canister itself ($110) and like $50 to install.

Now (6 months later) I have the same Code on again (0455) which is LARGE evap leak. So i will see where it is this time I hope its not like yours is but with my luck it will be.

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They tested the gas cap... it was fine.

Being the paranoid one that I am, Joseph Dell and I removed the front fascia. I wanted to see how they "replaced" the broken test port. I was horrified to see that they just cut the hose off and put a cap on it.

Tom Sessions was nice enough to email details about what it is SUPPOSED to look like (you are supposed to be able to access it from the fog light port). The way the dealership did it, I'd have to remove the fascia everytime to access it. I wish JD never left Dodge, although I'm happy he's getting treated better at BMW...

More on the story as it develops...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper