Any issues with an island Viper (Hawaii)?

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmm:
I live in Hawaii...no rust problem for me. But I think it might be how the owner takes care of the car. Mine is always in the garage when it is not used and I keep good care of it. Should you need someone to take a look for you, let me. I know little about mechanics, but I can sure see how it is cosmetically.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on where and how the car was kept.

I was on the windward side of Oahu with no garage, and cars would rust apart in front of your eyes. We were in a worse case spot on Kaneohe peninsula and you had salt spray mist hit the cars whenever the wind blew. I remember a friend bought a brand new car and leaned against the door and his hand went right through the sheetmetal where it had rusted from the inside out. I took a '70 Mach1 with a 1 month old custom paint job and a new car over there and within 6 months the paint was bubbling and within a year I had sold both at a big loss. The good thing about a Viper is that there are fewer things to rust. My situation was admittedly worse case, but I'd be cautious and if possible get a 3rd party to provide a written report/guarantee on the cars condition.

I don't know how shipping is now, but I shipped 2 cars over and 1 car back from Hawaii on Matson and they were notorious about items getting stolen from the cars during transport. I also had them crack one of my new custom fender flares on my mustang. My experience was back in the 80's, so things may be quite different now. If the car is put into a container, it should be pretty safe.

-- Ken

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't say something nice.......
Not a lot of luck.
Damaged by Matson on the way over to Maui from CA. ($6,500 paid by Matson)
Maui to Oahu, $3,500 damage courtesy of Young Brothers Ltd.
( Had to go to small claims court to get settlement.)

Plenty of nice Vipers on the mainland, you could have VCA members check out for you.

I would leave that car where it is. Unless it belongs to Mike B. :headbang:

MIKE B. (Oahu) if you are still lurking here? I hope all is well. I still owe you lunch for the brake job!!!! :)
Please write. I don't have your email....
David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper