Fog light lens question

NY VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Recently one of my clear plastic fog light lenses popped off and before replacing it I realized that I preferred the look of the car without it,like the newer Vipers, so I took off the other one instead. Are there any Gen I owners who have done the same thing? Also, is there any reason that the lens should stay on such as weather-proofing of the lamp? I am not sure if the newer models without the lens needed additional gaskets or seals.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think there is any difference. I have been driving with one lens on and the other off for a while and surprisingly, the covered fog lamp is cracked. So you should be fine except for those 3 annoying holes.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No harm in 'exposing' the lens, but it is now vulnerable to rock chips. Theyn list for almost $200 !!

And the 3 slots are now exposed and look unfinished. I have seen some simply add red or black tape over them, but GREEN ?

In my opinion they look less sleek and less aerodynamic. But once at 70 mph, this is an area of suction, not drag/pressure. This is why loose lenses can get sucked off at high-speed sessions.

{Spare new lenses w/ gasket in stock, $45}

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kept losing fog light covers so I took both off permanently. After having the ugly exposed slots visible for about a year, I used some silver pinstripe tape to cover the holes. It's stuck well, is easy to trim to shape, matches the car color very well, and was cheap. I was able to find a 1/4" thick roll for less than $10.00. If you look closely you'll notice the tape, but you really need to stare to find it.