Seat lowering kit

Mover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm contemplating buying a new Viper, and after sitting in it, there is no doubt I need to lower the seat. I know these existed for the older models, but is there one for the SRT-10, and who sells it? Thanks.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mover, I installed the two-inch kit in mine. Works very well. Seat not adjustable forward and rear, but still reclines. Very solid and well engineered. If you do it yourself, just don't tighten the upper bolts too much. I did and had to remove the seat and loosen the bolts to get it to recline properly. Now it is great. LOL.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, move your mirror up. Most people don't know this, but you can push your mirror and raise it by hand about 2 inches -- helps with the view a lot if you are tall.

Manny

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found out by accident -- The mirror was completely in my field of vision and I pulled over and started looking at how I could take it apart and reattach it to the very top of the windshield. While fidgeting with it, it pushed up, and I was like, "eh? What the..." So I pushed a bit more and, wooooooop, it went all the way up. I readjusted it with my hand and now it sits at the very top of the windshield which is much much nicer.

I have a question about the seat lowering kit in the SRT-10: When you add this, are you unable to move the seat as far back as you could beofore the kit? I understand that 2" lowering doesnt allow any forward or backward movement, but that is not what I am asking -- what I want to know is that since the wall behind the seat curves down and inward towards the front of the car, the further down you go, the less distance there is from that wall to the front of the car, so I am thinking logically here that if the seat is lowered 2 inches, you might lose 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch of leg room length wise, right? Does this make sense? I own 2 seat lowering kits in my other cars, but there is a lot more leg room in the GTS and RT-10 than there is in the SRT10, this coming from a guy that is 6'3 and wears 36 inch (length) inseam pants. ***** because I have to have the seat ALL the way back right now which means I drive sitting pretty verticle (no reclining available to me without scooting the chair up and having my thighs rub on the steering wheel, at which point i need to adjust that, and then I am just scrunched up.) Times like this is when I miss the Vette's interior -- the only sports car where I actually had to move the seat forward from the very rear position so that I could reach the pedals!

Manny

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Northwind 1 inch adjustable kit install is pretty straight forward except for one part. The adjuster lever on the kit is connected to the opposite rail by a piece of wire. After it has been installed for a while, the wire tends to bend a bit, lengthen, and then you can’t adjust the seat any more. I’m not the only one who has had this problem. It seems like a common issue for many who have installed the kit.

Here is the solution. At the hardware store buy the following: Several feet of small gauge braided wire; 4 wire crimp thingies; a small turn buckle.

Tools needed: beefy pliers (for crimping down the crimpers on the wire); wire cutting pliers (for cutting the braided wire to the correct size)

Total cost, about $5.

After you mount the new rails on you seat, don’t bother installing the wire that came with the kit. Throw it away.

Instead, attatch a short piece of the braided wire to the wire’s attatchment point using the crimp. Extend the turnbuckle to it’s fullest extension. Crimp the other end of the wire to one end of the turnbuckle. Then attach another short piece of braided wire to the opposite attachment point, and then to the other end of the turnbuckle. If you’ve done it right, you now have a wire between the two rails with a the turnbuckle in the middle. This allows you to fine-tune the tension of the wire, so you can make sure that the seat adjustment lever engages correctly. The tension really does need to be exactly right. Too loose, and the seat won’t adjust. Too tight, and the seat won’t lock in place.

Before you install the seat back into your car, make sure that you really crank down all of the bolts really well. I didn’t, and had a fair amount of “slop” and movement in my seat at first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper