Dusted a Cobra Mustang Tonight

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote Hell, they have damn ricer running 11's down here. :D

[/QUOTE]

Isn't this the truth. We had 94'ish civic hatch the other night at our pvt track event suprise everybody with several back to back 11sec ets. GD things are coming out of nowhere!

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote Hell, they have damn ricer running 11's down here. :D

Isn't this the truth. We had 94'ish civic hatch the other night at our pvt track event suprise everybody with several back to back 11sec ets. GD things are coming out of nowhere!

[/QUOTE]
There is a guy(older guy at that) that goes EVERY weekend in his red Civic hatchback. I laughed the first time I seen it, it's gutted w/ slicks on the front:D and wheelie bars on the back. After I seen him run a 9.80, I didn't laugh anymore, I was more impressed. He said he was running 30lbs of boost and had $20K in the motor. :eek:

Not my cup of tea at all, but impressive none the less.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I have an '03 Anniversary Cobra as a daily driver with some minor performance upgrades and have easily pulled 2 Z06s to date. To be honest I never see any Vipers on the road as most are probably in the garage like mine. I believe my Cobra would run even with a stock Viper in the quarter. After that a stock Viper would walk away as the Cobra is not very aero efficient. Compared to my Venom 650R the Cobra is slow. However, the Cobra is a much better daily driver, and I love smoking Vettes, M3s, 911s and other "rich man sports cars" that think I'm in one of those V6 Mustangs that nobody looks at at Wal-Mart. Stealth is cool. I also like being able to park it and walk away without worrying about it every minute I'm gone. And after all it's a SNAKE too that knows how to bite!

Real Hummer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a similar experience last sunday. I was on my way home from my fathers and had my 3 yr old boy with me and this stang was on my a** and wanted to play. I thought I cant do this with my boy with me but I couldnt hold back so I took off and the stang hung with me until about 100 or so. I was about 150 and the road had some s turns so I lost the stang. He caught up with me and we pulled over and talked a bit. I asked what he had done to the car and he said changed boost,exhaust,street slicks. I was impressed at how he stuck with me for a while but was not impressed with myself when I got home thinking what could have happened with my little boy with me.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohhh the uneducated posts about the H2 are killing me. Bottom line it will do 99% of what a H1 will do plus I have air-ride,leather,height adjustment,built in air compressor and many other goodies. Boy do people still gawk over this rig!!! :D

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the Plymouth / Canton area Saturday and was please to see three snakes. Two red on 275, one going North and one passed me going South. I saw a yellow one on Haggerty at 6 mile. If we didn't have to drive our grandson back from OH, we would have driven our snake. Good Kill RT.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raced a 500 RWHP 2003/4 Cobra in my basically stock '98 GTS (430 RWHP or so). He showed my a dyno sheet to verify the claim. Had pulley, headers, full exhaust, and tuning done. Spent under $2,000, but felt this was as high as he wanted to go to keep reliability on the stock blower. Any more HP would need the bigger blower set-up (Kenne-Bell), in his opinion. He also had drag radials on the car, as he stated hooking the car on stock rubber with these mods was all but impossible. We raced from a 20 MPH roll to about 100 MPH. From 20-80 we were about even, then I pulled 2 cars by 100 MPH. The cars seemed evenly matched, but I gained the advantage (2 cars) in 3rd gear. This led me to believe the Viper would have started to pull even more if we didn't have to slow for traffic. So the theory of the Viper having an advantage at higher speeds vs. the Cobra seems to hold water.

Therefore, on the street, I think a Cobra is going to need better tires and around 470+ RWHP to keep pace with a stock Gen II up to 120. After 120MPH, the Cobra is going to need more HP to keep the pace. Remember, these cars weigh +/-400 pounds more than a GEN II, and 'I think' lack in the aero department as well. Of course, once you hit a turn it is buy-buy Cobra.

No doubt though, a lot of fun for the $$$$. And man o' man did this Cobra sound mean!

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy do people still gawk over this rig!!! :D

That's probably because you're a guy. Out of the 50,000 H2's made per year(20,000 more than a C5) most are driven my women. The are they new offical "Soccer Mom" ride. :D

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's probably because you're a guy. Out of the 50,000 H2's made per year(20,000 more than a C5) most are driven my women. The are they new offical "Soccer Mom" ride.
LOL!!! Yep. No one notices those overpriced POS's anymore.
When H2 came out, maybe. I see a hundred of 'em a day around here in every color. Mostly older/middle-aged white women behind the wheel.

Nice kill RT/ED. There are some fast-ass Mustangs roaming the street.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stangs aren't in the same league as a Viper but the Cobra is still a sweet Snake. Some of those Cobras are plain mean, my friends 03' is running the KB supercharger and a 75 shot, that car is the only car I know of that can produce a flat torque band like the Viper. Less then 2K in basic bolt ons and you have a low 11 car. Shops had them running 9's almost right after they came out on the stock engine.

As much as I love the 10, I just wish the Vipers came with an 8.0 ohv V8 instead of the 10, just listening to that beauty of a dohc 4.6 growl, could you imagine a Viper with an 8.0 V8 with same power as the 10 rumbling :eek:

As for the H2, there were 14 alone on my campus last semester (very small private college), most driven by girls and only a few guys with two being good friends of mine, and tons driving around here, they don't get any attention. Not even my friends silver/grey H2 on 24's, and I don't care for the bling bling anyway. Only one friend I give props to as he actually takes his offroad, he's lifted on 38's with fake KMC beadlock wheels.

I have nothing against the H2's, as it'll whup 99% of the stock trucks out there offroad (as long as the tie rods don't snap...j/k), but people drive them around here like their friggen sports cars, especially the woman yapping on their cells :mad: I think a lot fo people got them thinking they would be rare like an H1 when it ends up you see as many every day as you do Vettes lol.

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
H2 is now the official Soccer Mom vehicle. Yep. And I for one sure love those soccer moms. :headbang: Being a coach of 2 teams, you sure get to meet some winners. Having a H2 myself, it is a great conversation piece. The kids love it, and the women own it because they think they are safe in it. I like it better than my Escalade/Navigator/Suburban because it is comfortable and we can go off roading whenever we please. Such versatility. :2tu: Fun all the way around.

But nothing beats taking it to car shows that benefit children/Special Olympics/Shriners/Disabled kids and any children charities. The look on these kids faces when they are able to sit in one is priceless. :2tu: Just like the Viper. And being an avid participant in these shows for kids, there is no greater reason to own this "overpriced POS Tahoe". That is my personal opinion though. :cool:

And talking about fast Cobras, there are a few running here in Orlando tuned by Lamotta that are friggin fast. Cheap add ons and off they go. :rolleyes:

Bindy

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's probably because you're a guy. Out of the 50,000 H2's made per year(20,000 more than a C5) most are driven my women. The are they new offical "Soccer Mom" ride. :D
You truely are an idiot. They don't make anywhere near 50,000 H2's a year. Production is right around 30,000-35,000 a year about the same as Vettes. Besides what does it matter how many H2's they make a year anyway? There are 11 million people alone in N.Y. you make it sound like everyone has a H2. Now if you could figure out a way to afford one!!! :smirk:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll say it again...if you like an H2..enjoy.

Regardless of how many H2s GM bolts together each year, the fact is that the party is over. Whether the market for H2s has satisfied, or if gas prices are playing the role...whatever...they aren't selling anymore. Dealers are sitting on months and months of inventory that won't go away.

According to AutoExtremist..." In spite of the introduction of the new H2 SUT, Hummer dealers are offering highly attractive, zero down, 24-month leases to clear out sky-high inventories of the now-stagnant H2."

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll say it again...if you like an H2..enjoy.

Regardless of how many H2s GM bolts together each year, the fact is that the party is over. Whether the market for H2s has satisfied, or if gas prices are playing the role...whatever...they aren't selling anymore. Dealers are sitting on months and months of inventory that won't go away.

According to AutoExtremist..." In spite of the introduction of the new H2 SUT, Hummer dealers are offering highly attractive, zero down, 24-month leases to clear out sky-high inventories of the now-stagnant H2."
I'm glad production is slowing down it makes my H2 more rare. I could care-less how many they make or how much it costs the party isn't over unless you don't have a H2. Bottom line they are a great rig for only 60k loaded. It wastes any other SUV out there that isn't named Hummer. Who is stupid enough to argue this? :confused:

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It wastes any other SUV out there that isn't named Hummer. Who is stupid enough to argue this? :confused:

Cough cough.. *Unimog* Cough cough *Gwagon* Cough cough *Landrover*
I'll argue this with facts, not some sort of wierd *** H2 pride thing. I'm glad your truck floats your boat.. just knock off with the "it's better than anything else because i own one" mentality.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You truely are an idiot. They don't make anywhere near 50,000 H2's a year. Production is right around 30,000-35,000 a year about the same as Vettes. Besides what does it matter how many H2's they make a year anyway? There are 11 million people alone in N.Y. you make it sound like everyone has a H2. Now if you could figure out a way to afford one!!! :smirk:

I'm the idiot? You admitted a couple months ago how you bought your Viper merely to get gawked at (someone has lack of game). :laugh:

Only 30-35K units huh? Your "rare" LOL H2 production is 45,000 per year Einstein. See figures here at the bottom of the page. "The automaker plans to only build 45,000 units a year." --> http://www.gazette.net/autosource/archives/otherhummerh2_2003.html

Why does the #'s matter? Because you bash how many C5 Vettes/Cobras there are out there yet your "Rare" H2 has 10,000 more units per year than them. LOL

And as far "Now if you could figure out a way to afford one!!! " Lol I... heheheh, wait... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ok, thanks for that laugh. Sadly one of my previous cars probably cost more than your home when I purchased it new. But You're a "Big Dog because you drive a $4X,000-$5X,000 car and a $4X,000 suv. Whoah, you're a high roller there cheif.... :rolleyes:

You are such the poser. :D

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteI'm glad production is slowing down it makes my H2 more rare. I could care-less how many they make or how much it costs the party isn't over unless you don't have a H2. Bottom line they are a great rig for only 60k loaded. It wastes any other SUV out there that isn't named Hummer. Who is stupid enough to argue this? :confused:

[/QUOTE]
There you go with your "Rare" 45,000 unit H2.

REAL Hummers don't have Tahoe suspensions ---> http://motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0208_hummer/

The Hummer folks craftily rummaged through GM's well-stocked parts bins and came up with an engine, transmission, front suspension, and brakes from the three-quarter-ton K2500 Suburban, a rear suspension (modified for longer travel and capacity) from the Tahoe, and a steering column and shifter from the TrailBlazer--and that's just for starters.

REAL Hummers are DIESELS.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok here's Jerry's opinion; H1's are real cool. H2's tell me the owner wants to be cool but is too rich and poofy to actually rough it. The fact that H2's look like gigantic shoe boxes doesn't help either, but as long as there is a demand for a product GM is in business to make money.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok here's Jerry's opinion; H1's are real cool. H2's tell me the owner wants to be cool but is too rich and poofy to actually rough it. The fact that H2's look like gigantic shoe boxes doesn't help either, but as long as there is a demand for a product GM is in business to make money.
Do you own a Hummer? If not then shut the f*** up. I can see from your credentials your a wannabe so go back to Canada!!!

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 1st post and I'm gonna be a ****!

I traded in my Yellow 03 Cobra (445rwhp/12.2 granny shifting) on Tuesday for my 2001 Yell0w Viper GTS.

Cobra a POOR MAN sports car (arrogant comment) - I THINK NOT - It was the ALL AROUND Greatest Car I've ever owned - FAST enough to keep up or even beat a Viper, COMFORTABLE to drive (unlike my Viper), and the SOUND of that blower and exhaust - WOW.

YouWish - As far as a POOR MAN sports car, until I sell my 92 LX 347 S-trim, bring your Viper and your wallet and I'll show you a $12500 dollar 10 second car. Just kidding, I just don't like to bring
financial well being in to a car conversation. When I bought my Cobra I could have bought anything I wanted within reason, but I wanted a Cobra. Before I bought the Viper I was looking at a Ferrari, but I never would have made a comment like that about a Cobra, Vette, or a Viper.

Matt - Thanks for standing up for the Cobra and I live right down the road from you in Southampton PA.

As far as the Hummer S2, it is TOO Big with to 2 little room inside. I went with the Lexus GX470 - 8 seats, Much more comfortable, Silky smooth V8, built on a Truck platform, and at least as competent as the H2 offroad, where none of us take either anyway.

Sorry for being defensive, I am a Mustang guy at heart.
I've owned at least 10 Stangs, 8 Vettes (my wife talks me in to them), and now the VIPER.

I must admit, driving a Viper, especially Bright Yellow, is like instant celebrity status. I love the car, my lower back and legs really feel it after a long drive though, BUT IT IS WORTH IT!

Glad to be aboard,
Howard

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1st post and I'm gonna be a ****!

I traded in my Yellow 03 Cobra (445rwhp/12.2 granny shifting) on Tuesday for my 2001 Yell0w Viper GTS.

Cobra a POOR MAN sports car (arrogant comment) - I THINK NOT - It was the ALL AROUND Greatest Car I've ever owned - FAST enough to keep up or even beat a Viper, COMFORTABLE to drive (unlike my Viper), and the SOUND of that blower and exhaust - WOW.

YouWish - As far as a POOR MAN sports car, until I sell my 92 LX 347 S-trim, bring your Viper and your wallet and I'll show you a $12500 dollar 10 second car. Just kidding, I just don't like to bring
financial well being in to a car conversation. When I bought my Cobra I could have bought anything I wanted within reason, but I wanted a Cobra. Before I bought the Viper I was looking at a Ferrari, but I never would have made a comment like that about a Cobra, Vette, or a Viper.

Matt - Thanks for standing up for the Cobra and I live right down the road from you in Southampton PA.

As far as the Hummer S2, it is TOO Big with to 2 little room inside. I went with the Lexus GX470 - 8 seats, Much more comfortable, Silky smooth V8, built on a Truck platform, and at least as competent as the H2 offroad, where none of us take either anyway.

Sorry for being defensive, I am a Mustang guy at heart.
I've owned at least 10 Stangs, 8 Vettes (my wife talks me in to them), and now the VIPER.

I must admit, driving a Viper, especially Bright Yellow, is like instant celebrity status. I love the car, my lower back and legs really feel it after a long drive though, BUT IT IS WORTH IT!

Glad to be aboard,
Howard
Your not fooling anyone your not a Viper owner. Your a Rustang owner now go back to your hill-billy Mustang forums. Your comments alone prove you don't own a Viper because if you did Mustang wouldn't even be in your vocabulary. See ya!!! :eek:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howard...glad to have another "local" here. The Viper is a different animal than the Cobra. We'll have to catch-up sometime...we are very close, as my shop is in Trevose.

You Wish...I won't even get into your incredible lack of spelling ability. I have owned 3 Vipers, and 2 Mustangs. Mustang is definately in my vocabulary.

As far as "hillbilly" forums are concerned, I have found one of the best forums is svtperformance.com. Excellent site with well reasoned, good info on, dare I say it.....Mustang Cobras. The folks there are willing to help, even someone who is looking to buy a Cobra and wants to know what to look for. There's no reason to go into a salespitch on the Cobra...Ford did a great job on making this a great car. It's certainly not a Viper...but a heck of car.

The arrogant comments made by those that look down on other cars because they have the ability to own something more expensive shows that money does not buy class.

One final Mustang note. I come from the old Mopar musclecars and have restored many. Lots of the Mopar guys are buying Mustangs as toys or daily drivers. Many say that Daimler simply doesn't build anything they want. A V-8, rear drive, musclecar, that is reasonably priced...and can be modded very cheaply should you want to. The Crossfire is overpriced and underpowered, the SRT-10 is out of many's price range, and the SRT-4(no matter how it runs) is seen by too many as a kid's ricer car and they don't want that either. I give Ford credit for still building an affordable V-8, rear drive coupe. Mustangs can't be all bad...40 years and still going strong, still very true to the original.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howard...glad to have another "local" here. The Viper is a different animal than the Cobra. We'll have to catch-up sometime...we are very close, as my shop is in Trevose.

You Wish...I won't even get into your incredible lack of spelling ability. I have owned 3 Vipers, and 2 Mustangs. Mustang is definately in my vocabulary.

As far as "hillbilly" forums are concerned, I have found one of the best forums is svtperformance.com. Excellent site with well reasoned, good info on, dare I say it.....Mustang Cobras. The folks there are willing to help, even someone who is looking to buy a Cobra and wants to know what to look for. There's no reason to go into a salespitch on the Cobra...Ford did a great job on making this a great car. It's certainly not a Viper...but a heck of car.

The arrogant comments made by those that look down on other cars because they have the ability to own something more expensive shows that money does not buy class.

One final Mustang note. I come from the old Mopar musclecars and have restored many. Lots of the Mopar guys are buying Mustangs as toys or daily drivers. Many say that Daimler simply doesn't build anything they want. A V-8, rear drive, musclecar, that is reasonably priced...and can be modded very cheaply should you want to. The Crossfire is overpriced and underpowered, the SRT-10 is out of many's price range, and the SRT-4(no matter how it runs) is seen by too many as a kid's ricer car and they don't want that either. I give Ford credit for still building an affordable V-8, rear drive coupe. Mustangs can't be all bad...40 years and still going strong, still very true to the original.
What the he** are you talking about? My spelling is fine. Are you referring to my spelling of Mustang as Rustang? If you are it was a joke but it went way over your head. You are the one that is in desperate need of spell check. :D

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YouWish.....I did understand Rustang.

Above, you wrote..."Your not fooling anyone your not a Viper owner. Your a Rustang owner now go back to..."

Back to school time...in these instances, "Your"...should be "you're".

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YouWish.....I did understand Rustang.

Above, you wrote..."Your not fooling anyone your not a Viper owner. Your a Rustang owner now go back to..."

Back to school time...in these instances, "Your"...should be "you're".
Wow. You sure are a smart one. Thanks for that all important quirtique.