Dusted a Cobra Mustang Tonight

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cruising with the wife down M-5 and I see a Cobra Mustang in my rear view mirror switching lanes to catch up to us. This guy came along side and reved his engine, we were moving along at 40 mph. I dropped into 2nd and he was history until we shut down around 85 mph. He caught up again and wanted to give a 2nd try...same results. The front end of a Cobra looks good in the rear view mirror! :usa:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was it an 03-04 cobra (with the super charger) or older with no charger?

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was it an 03-04 cobra (with the super charger) or older with no charger?

Ditto...

It's hard to tell the difference, especially at night. If it were an '03+ he would have most likely heard the blower wine.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't matter anyway viper would smoke either.

Without a doubt.

But even though I'm NOT a Mustang fan, it's still impressive that $500 for a pully and exhaust will net you 450RWHP. :cool:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah thats true, I am somewhat of a mustang fan but its not even in the same league as my viper.

1996VIPERGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most likely an older cobra. Most people can't tell the difference between a 99,01, and a 03,04. I love my Viper, but you have to respect a car that Dyno's at 365 rwhp bone stock. With approx $1K worth of mods it Dyno's at 450+ rwhp, yes that's correct more than a stock Viper GTS. If your looking for Bang for the Buck, you don't have to be an Accounting Major to figure out it has the best hp per dollar available. Add $7-10K and you have yourself a 9 or 10 second car, not bad considering that would bring the total investment up to $45K or about the same price as a new base corvette.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whooopy. u toasted a 300HP+ stang thats alot heavier than you are plus you have 150HP over it if that stang had a charger. come on tell me a bike, lambo, ferrari or V10+ story. i raced a honda 900R bike on freeway last wednesday on way back from car show and at a 40mph roll and while i was in second i had him till about 4th when we both hit traffic and had to slow down. well didnt really have him he was on my side the whole time and wasnt able to pull on me. now thats impressive. our cars are way too fast and its a given. i dont bother racing stangs or camaros. waste of time. but yeah its always fun to be the winner and knowing you gonna win if the other starts with you.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My cousin has a bad a$$ mustang that will give a stock viper a good run.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dimitrios that was a real obnoxious post, you gotta respect cars that EASILY have the potential to keep up with us. Vipers are damn fast but you can make any car fast, and on some cars it doesnt take much to catch up to a viper. hopefully you dont run into a Cobra that has over 450 rwhp.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it really doesnt matter who keeps up with me. i know that i'm fast and have not yet had a cobra S/C, vette S/C or a saleen s351 S/C beat the viper. its just a given that the viper is gonna pull on em if you gun it in the right gear. my car pulls at about 4k RPMS and produces most of its power.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
come on tell me a bike, lambo, ferrari or V10+ story.

Well I did some searching and you can always find a video of a cobra beating a lambo, viper, z06, etc...But likewise can be done with a viper beating the other as well. So instead I will host up these two vids. Its a cobra...I guess you can say it holds it own on the track and street...should be able to give you a good run from a dig or a roll.

At the track..
www.videos.v10nationals.com/ford/cobra/danmillenpass.mpeg

On the street.
www.videos.v10nationals.com/ford/cobra/danmillenridealong.wmv

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
H2 Hummer.....***yawn*** overpriced Tahoe. :rolleyes:

I have both a 2003 Cobra and a 2000 GTS. There's no doubt that the Cobra is a quick machine, but to compare it to a Viper is foolish. They are two completely different animals.

Cobra a "poor mans" sports car? It's not even a sports car...it got 4 seats. It's really a musclecar in the true sense of the world.

I know of a local Cobra owner that did exhaust, pulley swap and dyno tune..and it makes 478HP at the wheels. That's enough to give a stock Viper some trouble.

Beating up on a stock Cobra ain't even racin with a stock Viper...especially if the Cobra is earlier than '03.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have both a 2003 Cobra and a 2000 GTS. There's no doubt that the Cobra is a quick machine, but to compare it to a Viper is foolish. They are two completely different animals.

Cobra a "poor mans" sports car? It's not even a sports car...it got 4 seats. It's really a musclecar in the true sense of the world.

I know of a local Cobra owner that did exhaust, pulley swap and dyno tune..and it makes 478HP at the wheels. That's enough to give a stock Viper some trouble.

Beating up on a stock Cobra ain't even racin with a stock Viper...especially if the Cobra is earlier than '03.

Thanks for stepping up and giving credit where credit is due. I guess I am a "poor" man, but a proud one. Not all are lucky enough to be "well off" like whomever above. Oh well.

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL, with a weaker drivetrain... ha ha ...the original Hummer - now, thats a REAL man's vehicle

yes, Cobras are cheap and fast, and can be made even faster for a small chunk of change... but like several have said its like comparing apples and oranges

take that Cobra, despite its horsepower, and drive by your local Wal-Mart... lucky if you get one stare... and even luckier if anyone strikes up a conversation about your car - most shrug it off for one of the thousands of V6s roaming the streets

take your Viper by that same Wal-Mart and every eye is locked on that vehicle... old people drop their groceries in awe, young mothers grab their children as if in fear, every post-puberty male immediately pops wood and rushes over to get a closer look while young girls check their makeup and fix their hair in hopes that the driver will offer a ride... although I dont own a Viper yet, Ive seen this same scenario happen several times and its quite amazing

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
take that Cobra, despite its horsepower, and drive by your local Wal-Mart... lucky if you get one stare... and even luckier if anyone strikes up a conversation about your car - most shrug it off for one of the thousands of V6s roaming the streets

take your Viper by that same Wal-Mart and every eye is locked on that vehicle... old people drop their groceries in awe, young mothers grab their children as if in fear, every post-puberty male immediately pops wood and rushes over to get a closer look while young girls check their makeup and fix their hair in hopes that the driver will offer a ride... although I dont own a Viper yet, Ive seen this same scenario happen several times and its quite amazing

As every Viper owner knows, it is a people magnet of the highest order. Interestingly, after owning a large cross-section of high-end vehicles over the last 30 years, the vehicle other than the Viper that comes the closest to this phenomenon, by far, is the H2. Based on your knowledge of its drivetrain, I take it you don't own one of those yet either.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice kill Ed. I always feel good after a good kill. I do think it's funny though how dimitrios writes that he beat a honda 900R and that is all that was said about that kill. I beat a GSXR 750 last week and boy did I stir a hornets nest with that one! He is more modded than my car but still, that is all that was said. All is good but some people had a hard time with the fact that I beat it. Anyways, congrats!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want this to turn into an H2 thread, but I did look at one today at the GM Auto Show in Motion here in Philly.

Here's the facts. It's built on the T800 platform..shared by the Tahoe, Suburban and full size trucks.

The hood was open and I was amazed at how hard this vehicle would be to service. There was very little room, especially in the middle seats. According to GM, it will only tow 6700 pounds. Big, bad SUV? My "light duty" Bronco tows 7000.

The long and the short of it is this...if you like an H2, Viper, Vette, Cobra...whatever....enjoy. We all like a good "kill" story, but your enjoyment of your car won't be any sweeter because you bad mouthed someone else's car.

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...is the H2. Based on your knowledge of its drivetrain, I take it you don't own one of those yet either.
nah, I just did the research and found I could purchase the same vehicle (Tahoe) for much less...

BTW, I DO have a 'real' Hummer... '01 hardtop... however, I dont feel the need to brag about the vehicles I own/have owned... ahem

thanks for the vid Mod

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most common myth about the H2 is that "it's built on a Tahoe/T800/shared chassis." The reason for this myth is because the designers indeed made some use of a Tahoe chassis. The front and rear sections of the H2 chassis and driveline are beefed up, modified versions of the existing chassis. The center section is completely new and different from the existing chassis. Bottom line, if any of you think the H2 is simply a Hummer looking body and some larger wheels & tires stuck on a Tahoe chassis, you're dead wrong.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it really doesnt matter who keeps up with me. i know that i'm fast and have not yet had a cobra S/C, vette S/C or a saleen s351 S/C beat the viper. its just a given that the viper is gonna pull on em if you gun it in the right gear. my car pulls at about 4k RPMS and produces most of its power.

If you have never raced/seen ANY Vette, Cobra, etc run fater than your 11.4 et you are either A) Aren't racing enough or B) Racing the wrong people. While a low 11 et is very respectable, it's not the end all of et's. Hell, they have damn ricer running 11's down here. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper