New Viper Checklist

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm preparing to do most of the common sense newly bought Viper mods and maintenance, but was hoping some of you could tell me the less obvious things. The car (1999 RT/10) only had 9400 miles on it, so there is a decent chance some of the stuff on/in their is the same stuff from 1999 :shocked:

Will be done within a week: (by none other than Doug Levin :headbang: )

- Oil/filter change
- Coolant change
- Replace stock plugs/wires
- Replace stock shifter with MGW (already ordered)
- Replace stock brake pads with EBC Greens (already ordered)
- Install HiPo Engineering power steering cap mod (already ordered)

What else?

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
"When are you going to be at Doug's?"

Wednesday or Thursday, depending on his schedule and when the parts I ordered come in.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eradi-Speed rotors from John at PartsRack is highly recommended. They look bad-ass!!! Also lower your Viper with Eibach springs it gives the Viper a much lower/meaner look.

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Going to get the Stoptech Big Brake kit eventually, so am keeping the stock rotors in the meantime.

As for lowering, I'm already scraping stuff everywhere I drive. No desire to increase the frequency of that :crazy:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake, clutch, rear diff fluid changes. Tires? Frame recall work done?
Many upgrades to consider in time.

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
"Brake, clutch, rear diff fluid changes." Added to list.

"Tires?" Yep, they need to be replaced. But not until I use them to 'learn' on. (still has original tires :shocked: )

"Frame recall work done?" I know it's missing 999. Contacted Tom Sessions, trying to work something out with him.

Thanks!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the tires are near their wear-bars... be VVVEEEEERRRRRY careful in the rain or after a rain where there may be water running across the road. Before you know it, during the transition from dry to wet, the backend can slide out and you'll be alog for the ride.. even at just above idle, you now have enough torque to hydroplane the tires during the transition.

brake fluid change if it is not already on the list, also look at the serpentine belt, grease suspension joints as well. Make sure you use the recommended tranny fluid. For the differential, consider using Red Line.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
"If the tires are near their wear-bars... be VVVEEEEERRRRRY careful in the rain or after a rain where there may be water running across the road. Before you know it, during the transition from dry to wet, the backend can slide out and you'll be alog for the ride.. even at just above idle, you now have enough torque to hydroplane the tires during the transition."

They are, I am, and you are right. The rear comes out in 1st and 2nd on both wet and dry roads. I turn corners with either no gas, or if I'm accelerating, I do it in 3rd gear. No problems so far. But yes, a tire change is in the near future.

"...grease suspension joints as well."

Added to list.

"Make sure you use the recommended tranny fluid. For the differential, consider using Red Line."

That will be Doug's call. If he tells me to use goat piss, I'll be raiding a nearby farm :laugh:

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4